Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
diesel_fan
diesel_fan began at the beginning.

Device: None
FB2, Koreader and KFmon

Hello! I am using Kobo native reader on Libra 2. But in order for me to open fb2 files on the native reader - I have to install koreader. And NickelMenu in order to access Dropbox.
Questions: is there a patch for native reader that supports fb2?
Can I remove kfmon w/out messing up NickelMenu and fb2 support?
I have no plans to use koreader at this time and all I need is fb2 support and NickelMenu, but w/out koreader installed - i can’t open fb2 files on native reader.
Thank you!

Last edited by diesel_fan; 06-03-2022 at 09:14 PM.
diesel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KOReader doesn't actually help you open FB2 files in the native reader. It allows you to open FB2 files... in KOReader.

IIRC, the native reader doesn't support FB2 (at all), and that's highly unlikely to change, especially given that FB2's popularity is largely localized to Eastern Europe.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #3
diesel_fan
diesel_fan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
KOReader doesn't actually help you open FB2 files in the native reader. It allows you to open FB2 files... in KOReader.

IIRC, the native reader doesn't support FB2 (at all), and that's highly unlikely to change, especially given that FB2's popularity is largely localized to Eastern Europe.
Thank you! I have noticed that with KOReader installed - I can open fb2 files, but in the native reader, not in KOReader. Just tested it with fb2 file opening from Dropbox. Can that fb2 support in KOReader somehow being used by the native reader? Just curious. And can I remove KFmon? I would like to avoid reinstalling it after each firmware update. Not sure what it does - it was installed alongside with KOReader.
diesel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_fan View Post
Thank you! I have noticed that with KOReader installed - I can open fb2 files, but in the native reader, not in KOReader. Just tested it with fb2 file opening from Dropbox. Can that fb2 support in KOReader somehow being used by the native reader? Just curious. And can I remove KFmon? I would like to avoid reinstalling it after each firmware update. Not sure what it does - it was installed alongside with KOReader.
I cannot speak of fb2. But KFMon is used to launch KOReader. So you do not want to remove KFMon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
FB2 files can be opened by the KePub renderer. This has nothing to do with KoReader. Don't expect fancy rendering, I'm also not sure every FB2 file will open.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot speak of fb2. But KFMon is used to launch KOReader. So you do not want to remove KFMon.
You can install KOReader with NickelMenu that resists to firmware updates. And if You want You can install KOReader with KFMon (using the One-Click Install Package for KOReader) that will install NickelMenu and then You change the config file in the .adds/nm/ directory removing the call to KFMon and inserting the following line:

Code:
menu_item : main : KOReader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
Then You can remove KFMon but KOReader will still work and it will resist to firmware updates.

Last edited by ps67; 06-06-2022 at 04:19 PM. Reason: edit: the he One-Click Install Package for KOReader already install NickelMenu so I modified the post
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote