Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #16
DanielSt
Enthusiast
DanielSt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Unless you take steps to bypass it yes. As David mentioned it’s a fairly easy search in these forums.
Thanks, I'll search for it!
DanielSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #17
DanielSt
Enthusiast

I will report on my progress...

Last edited by DanielSt; 04-26-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Advert
Old 04-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On the Geek1011's firmware site, it says that 2.1.5 and 2.2.0 are not for the Glo and Aura HD. That would mean that the oldest firmware is from November 2012 and is version 2.2.1. My mistake on 2.5.0. I missed 2.2.1.
Well I am fairly sure that @geek1011's page is wrong. I know that the Glo will factory rest to 2.1.something. As it became available in early October 2012, the firmware released at that time should be the first firmware for the Glo. But, there is no easy way to prove it at this point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #19
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Update on the updates

Hi Everyone,

So it's not looking good right now. I first successfully downgraded to version 2.10.0 (I registered using a random e-mail, it updated to the latest version, then I was able to downgrade to 2.10.0 by putting the files in the .kobo folder and ejecting. After that it remembered my registered e-mail address, so no more need to register).

2.10.0 worked. I wanted to try 2.5.0 for comparison, and downloaded the firmware and once again put the files into the .kobo folder. I ejected, and the update (downgrade) started... but it is going on and on... indefinitely... the five squares in the center of the screen are filling up successively, to indicate that a process is happening... but it has been going on for upwards of 20 minutes now I think. And If I connect via USB to my computer again, the Kobo doesn't show up this time. Nor can I turn it off. As it is in the middle of updating.

I believe this is what is known in the lingo as "bricked." Can I do a hard reset, I suppose, by inserting a sharp object into the little hole at the bottom of the device? Or by some other means?

UPDATE: Whew! I followed the manual reset instructions on the Kobo help website and it is now "restoring," so I seem to have avoided the dreaded bricking. I'll try with another firmware...

Last edited by DanielSt; 04-26-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:44 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Have you actually tried using the current firmware on the Glo? I know you said you tried other devices but none of the current Kobos use the screen the Glo used. You might be doing a lot of unneeded work.

Just because Kindles firmware gave you issues doesn’t mean you’d get them with Kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had a Kobo Aura H20 for just over six years. I've done numerous firmware updates. Not once did I see the firmware causing any issue with the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote