Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2022, 10:44 PM   #1
DanielSt
Enthusiast
DanielSt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to downgrade my Kobo Glo

Hi Everyone,

After a debacle with my Kindle, which was hijacked by Amazon with an automatic update and which I was unable to downgrade, I learned that Kobo, unlike Amazon, permits downgrades of firmware, and that is moreover easy to do so apparently.

So I have bought an old Kobo Glo second hand, which arrived today. The firmware upon arrival was from 2018. I proceeded to do the factory reset, which I was expecting would restore the oldest, original firmware from 2012 or so. After the factory reset, I get a prompt to select the language, and I am then given two options to set up the Kobo, "Computer Setup" and "Wireless Setup." If I select "Computer Setup," I have to connect to my computer and download the Kobo desktop app. When I do so, the first thing it starts to do is install an upgrade, which is, of course, precisely what I do not want... I pulled out the cable before the upgrade completed.

This might be an elementary question: how can I use my Kobo Glo now with the (presumably) downgraded version, bypassing this barrier of an upgrade? Or is there another simple way to downgrade it?

(Note that I went through a lengthy and tortuous process earlier of trying to manually downgrade my Kindle, via instructions on this forum, before running into an irremediable snag quite close to the end of the process. I have high hopes that what I read about a Kobo downgrade being very EASY will in fact be true).

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
DanielSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you want to run such an old firmware?

The oldest firmware for the Kobo Glo is 2.5.0 from April 2013.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2022, 11:54 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With difficulty. While you can install older firmware, Kobo does not support it. And the older firmware cannot be used if you are using the Kobo store, and it is difficult if you want to use WiFi.

The real question is why do you want to do this? What is it you think you are going to get by sticking with old firmware on a device you have never used? And, using the original factory firmware is the worst idea ever. These always have issues. They work, but, the real intention of them is to allow the device to work until they can get the latest firmware. And there is always an update available when a new device becomes available.

As to the method to install older firmware, it is such a commonly discussed topic, that it is easy to find in a search. As is setting up a new device and not updating the firmware. Or installing a particular version of the firmware. Or avoiding the setup process altogether.

And for the record, there is absolutely no way I would use the factory firmware that is on a Glo for longer than it took me to update it. I think there might be one thing nice in it that isn't in current firmware, and I'm not sure about that. The earliest firmware I would even consider for any Kobo device is 3.19. But, even as much as I liked that version of the home screen, there are to many other improvements in later firmware that I can't give up.

You should let the device update and use the latest firmware. If you don't like it, you can always go back to an older firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:01 AM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Not sure if there’s a way to downgrade to whatever firmware you want, you can of course try by grabbing whatever version you want for your Kobo Glo from here: https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

I’m not sure how far back you can go without tinkering. I’m sure if you’re really dead set on it you can go quite far back though you’d likely need to bypass registration (searching the forums should get some instructions as well as Jon telling you and everyone else not to do it because you risk losing the books you couldn’t buy from kobo… don’t think too hard on that it’s not meant to make sense).

Though can I ask why you want to downgrade? Unlike Kindle with Kobo you can patch the firmware easily no jailbreak needed. The Home Screen has changed over the years but at this point I think even the most die hard supporters of the old Home Screen from I think 3.19 and earlier would admit the changes and performance boosts are worth it. And I can’t think of any features that have been removed, maybe setting the font weight and sharpness separately though you can sort of patch for this.

There’s generally no reason not to upgrade because you aren’t actually being restricted in modifying the device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:04 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The oldest firmware for the Kobo Glo is 2.5.0 from April 2013.
Considering the Glo was released in October 2012, you are missing a few firmware versions. The oldest firmware available for the Glo is 2.1.4. That suggests the factory firmware is older than that. I don't remember if it was an older 2.1.x or a 2.0.x. But, no matter what, it isn't anything I would consider using.
Advert
Old 04-26-2022, 12:10 AM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Considering the Glo was released in October 2012, you are missing a few firmware versions. The oldest firmware available for the Glo is 2.1.4. That suggests the factory firmware is older than that. I don't remember if it was an older 2.1.x or a 2.0.x. But, no matter what, it isn't anything I would consider using.
2.5 is the oldest easily accessible version from the site in my post. I don’t doubt you’re right about it not being the oldest but considering even that site gives some headaches about downloading such older firmware I suspect anything prior is out of reach.

Though we both agree going to this firmware would be a bad move.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:18 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
2.5 is the oldest easily accessible version from the site in my post. I don’t doubt you’re right about it not being the oldest but considering even that site gives some headaches about downloading such older firmware I suspect anything prior is out of reach.

Though we both agree going to this firmware would be a bad move.
A fuller list is on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases. And I checked that 2.1.4 is still downloadable. Though it is at the bottom of the @geek1011's page if you press the "Show" button.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On the Geek1011's firmware site, it says that 2.1.5 and 2.2.0 are not for the Glo and Aura HD. That would mean that the oldest firmware is from November 2012 and is version 2.2.1. My mistake on 2.5.0. I missed 2.2.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:11 AM   #9
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

And thanks for your plentiful replies. As to why I want to downgrade, my story is mostly summed up here:

https://ledstrain.org/d/1547-problem...indle-firmware

I discovered afterwards that I am also unable to use the newer Kobos on display in the stores. I just want an e-reader that I can use.

It doesn't have to be the very oldest firmware on the Glo, I'm sure a version from 2013 or 2014 would be just fine as well. I see download links to 2013 and 2014 versions on the link you provided (https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html), thanks very much for this.

Just the simple question now of how to install them? Do I just copy the files onto some folder in the Kobo, and that's that? And how to bypass the registration bit that seems to necessarily entail and automatic upgrade to the latest version?

For the record, I don't have any intention of using wifi (the wifi connection on my Kindle is what got me into trouble in the first place, see my post in the ledstrain.org link), and I don't care about getting books from the Kobo store. I just want to be able to read text and PDFs on it (and possibly .azw3s, if that's at all possible, via Caliber, for example).

Thanks again for your help and apologies if the question is very basic.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:58 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I almost never use the front light.

The front light is no reason to use old firmware. You can use WiFi ONCE with a fake email address, or a real one. Either forget the password of Kobo or have used a temporary one on WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard

Try using the Kobo Glo with whatever firmware it's running now.

Newer device, different screen.

If that doesn't work, to change firmware just download the version you want, unzip its contents to the .kobo folder on your Kobo (you may need to enable showing hidden folders on your computer a google search will get directions for whichever OS you use), eject the Kobo.

As to getting it to work the newer the firmware the less issues you'll have there. Anything from version 3.19 is 100% going to require you tinker with it I don't know how off hand but as David has said it's been discussed a lot on the forum.

I wouldn't suggest using anything earlier than 4.x though.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Try using the Kobo Glo with whatever firmware it's running now.

Newer device, different screen.

If that doesn't work, to change firmware just download the version you want, unzip its contents to the .kobo folder on your Kobo (you may need to enable showing hidden folders on your computer a google search will get directions for whichever OS you use), eject the Kobo.

As to getting it to work the newer the firmware the less issues you'll have there. Anything from version 3.19 is 100% going to require you tinker with it I don't know how off hand but as David has said it's been discussed a lot on the forum.

I wouldn't suggest using anything earlier than 4.x though.
Excellent, thanks for this (and for the advice as well), I will download the version and put the contents in the folder. Will I have to register the Kobo afterward? I want to avoid any connection to wifi, or to the desktop app with its automatic upgrade, as much as possible.

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #13
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I almost never use the front light.

The front light is no reason to use old firmware. You can use WiFi ONCE with a fake email address, or a real one. Either forget the password of Kobo or have used a temporary one on WiFi.
Thank you. (The issue isn't the frontlight, which I can turn off, but something with the screen) If I use wifi once briefly, won't it automatically upgrade the firmware?
Old 04-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSt View Post
Excellent, thanks for this (and for the advice as well), I will download the version and put the contents in the folder. Will I have to register the Kobo afterward? I want to avoid any connection to wifi, or to the desktop app with its automatic upgrade, as much as possible.

Thanks again!
Unless you take steps to bypass it yes. As David mentioned it’s a fairly easy search in these forums.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSt View Post
Thank you. (The issue isn't the frontlight, which I can turn off, but something with the screen) If I use wifi once briefly, won't it automatically upgrade the firmware?
The only Kobo I saw with less than perfect screen was my Touch, version C.

I've never seen the FW version affect the screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote