Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
limutwit
limutwit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Please help. Unable to skip registration on Kobo Glo

Hi

Following the instructions from this forum, I have managed to skip registration on the Clara (it was extremely difficult but I got there in the end) Thank you!

Now I wish to attempt the same on the Kobo Glo.

I followed the command codes from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171664

I used both

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','xxxx@xxxx.xx','xxxx@xxxx.xx','2aaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa==');

and also tried

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','foo','foo','foo','foo');

However, I received the following error
Error: table user has 26 columns but 5 values were supplied

I thought it was because it had the latest 4.22... firmware, so I downgraded to 3.19... but still came up with the same error.

Please advise. Thank you
limutwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Why don't you simply register with a self-generated email address. Kobo does not check the address. E.g. koboglo17e@anywheres.net will work.

This has the advantage that you don't have to worry in the future about a firmware update breaking your registration.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I think people forget is that there are two forms of SQL inserts.

Either
Code:
INSERT INTO Customers
VALUES ('Cardinal', 'Tom B. Erichsen', 'Skagen 21', 'Stavanger', '4006', 'Norway');
Or
Code:
INSERT INTO Customers (CustomerName, ContactName)
VALUES ('Cardinal', 'Tom B. Erichsen');
The second method explicitly names the columns being given data and sets the other columns to default values. This means that if the table is changed to have additional columns added the insert will still function.

For instance at one point all one needed was
Code:
INSERT INTO user (UserID, UserKey, UserDisplayName, UserEmail)
values("00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","MyDummyUser@dummy.com","MyDummyUser@dummy.com")
If now additional columns need explicit values they just need to be added to both the list of columns and the value statement

Last edited by PeterT; 07-03-2020 at 06:54 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
limutwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why don't you simply register with a self-generated email address. Kobo does not check the address. E.g. koboglo17e@anywheres.net will work.

This has the advantage that you don't have to worry in the future about a firmware update breaking your registration.
Hi thank you for the reply! Yes, that is my final step once I fail to attempt to do this.

I like this kind of 'mini' challenge to see if I could do.

thanks
Old 07-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As an experiment, I logged out from my Kobo account on one of my devices, let it do the reset and then, when prompted for language selected English and said No to the WiGi. The device then displayed the connect to my desktop and install Kobo Desktop message.

I made sure that neither calibre, ADE or Kobo desktop were lrunning and connected the Kobo to my PC.

I then launched a Sqlite client (in my case DB Browser for SQLite https://sqlitebrowser.org/), opened the Kobo database and did the SQL command I mentioned above
Code:
values("00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","MyDummyUser@dummy.com","MyDummyUser@dummy.com")
When I closed the database and ejected the device it proceeded to import all the sideloaded content I had on the kobo.
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
limutwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As an experiment, I logged out from my Kobo account on one of my devices, let it do the reset and then, when prompted for language selected English and said No to the WiGi. The device then displayed the connect to my desktop and install Kobo Desktop message.

I made sure that neither calibre, ADE or Kobo desktop were lrunning and connected the Kobo to my PC.

I then launched a Sqlite client (in my case DB Browser for SQLite https://sqlitebrowser.org/), opened the Kobo database and did the SQL command I mentioned above
Code:
When I closed the database and ejected the device it proceeded to import all the sideloaded content I had on the kobo.
OMG! Thank you so much! It worked!! Thank you x9999999
Old 07-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

So glad. And this approach should work regardless of f/w level / database version until Kobo requires another column to be populated.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please delete this thread and don't help anyone be paranoid to register their Kobo. It's just not worth the hassle. And you lose more then you gain. One day you could lose everything when a firmware update decide to change thing so the face registration no longer works. This has already happened once.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please delete this thread and don't help anyone be paranoid to register their Kobo. It's just not worth the hassle. And you lose more then you gain. One day you could lose everything when a firmware update decide to change thing so the face registration no longer works. This has already happened once.
It's not worth it to you. Others disagree.

The folks skipping registration are likely sideloading books, which means even with a firmware update that changes things, they'll have a back up (or at least should).

Honestly better to do this than to set a fake email since if you lose the password the account will be lost to you if you forget it. Also if it's a fake email and someone comes along and makes it, then tries to make a kobo account they'd be able to get your books and buy more if you have a CC connected.

Regardless, it's not up to you to tell people what to do with their device, you can inform them of the risk but they should be free to do as they please.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The simplest database insert that worked as of the 4.4 firmware was:
INSERT INTO user (UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');

(Note, that last value is two single ' with nothing in between them, not a double quote (")

Once you have a database with a blank user, you can just copy that into the .kobo directory (and restart). I've been using the same database file for every new generation of device and firmware. Much simpler and easier than registration and sync, fake or not.

Anyone who wants it is welcome to copy the database file I've been using:
(I've attached a zipped copy this message, as well as a link to zippy)

https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/g56DQJzy/file.html
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboReader.sqlite.zip (14.6 KB, 274 views)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@limutwit, why is it that ou are so paranoid? There is zero reason not to have a proper Kobo account and do a proper registration.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
webtroter
webtroter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The simplest database insert that worked as of the 4.4 firmware was:
INSERT INTO user (UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');

(Note, that last value is two single ' with nothing in between them, not a double quote (")

Once you have a database with a blank user, you can just copy that into the .kobo directory (and restart). I've been using the same database file for every new generation of device and firmware. Much simpler and easier than registration and sync, fake or not.

Anyone who wants it is welcome to copy the database file I've been using:
(I've attached a zipped copy this message, as well as a link to zippy)

https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/g56DQJzy/file.html
Can I use this SQLite on any Kobo device? Like my Glo HD ?
webtroter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtroter View Post
Can I use this SQLite on any Kobo device? Like my Glo HD ?
Outside of the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFi which I am not certain about, they all use an SQLite database to store information (the KoboReader.sqlite file in the .kobo directory). Later firmware added an encrypted BookReader.sqlite about which little information is known.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
webtroter
webtroter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Outside of the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFi which I am not certain about, they all use an SQLite database to store information (the KoboReader.sqlite file in the .kobo directory). Later firmware added an encrypted BookReader.sqlite about which little information is known.
Thanks. Ended up not waiting for an answer and downloading an SQLite browser.
webtroter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That SQLite database I posted was created with firmware version 3.19,, it should work on any kobo e-ink device with at least that firmware version. I don't know what would happen if you copied the database to a device with an older firmware, (but I doubt there's anything to loose in the attempt.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote