Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #31
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Just noticed that lBook has released an updated version of their firmware

http://www.lbook.org/downloads/v3upd...6-20080619.zip
Thanks! Downloading it.
Your post is the first place where I knew about the firmware, there is no info on the Russian forum yet, so nobody (but Jinke programmers) can tell, what changed.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #32
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I just received an email from the people at BeBook, stating that they will release a firmware update soon (June / July) that adds Mobipocket (+DRM)-support!

Great news if you ask me!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #33
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I just received an email from the people at BeBook, stating that they will release a firmware update soon (June / July) that adds Mobipocket (+DRM)-support!

Great news if you ask me!
Next to battery there is a slot for SIM card, your bebook has such card? Or DRM for mobi doesn't require anything such?
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
Next to battery there is a slot for SIM card, your bebook has such card? Or DRM for mobi doesn't require anything such?
No, according to Bebook, the SIM-card slot is "for future use" (so if I understood them correctly, it won't be used in this version of the device - I don't think there's actually a SIM-card slot on the motherboard either)

As far as I know, Mobipocket DRM works as follows:
- You install the Mobipocket-application on your eBook-reader
- A code, unique for your device, (the so-called PID) is displayed by the Mobipocket-application
- You add the device to your Mobipocket-account (by entering the PID-code on the Mobipocket site)
- Any DRM-protected eBook you buy, will be encrypted with that unique code, so it can only be read on your device, thus making the distribution of the eBook useless, since other people won't be able to read it on their devices (because they have other serial numbers, and therefore PID codes)

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 06-23-2008 at 09:44 AM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #35
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
2 new experimental firmwares:
1) http://www.savefile.com/files/1644197
New Coolreader (with several bugfixes, including correct hyphenation in the first line, and the possibility to go by hyperlinks).
2) http://www.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/v...d-20080702.zip
Firmware with FBReader as main reader for TXT, FB2, RTF. Now it has GUI for basic font settings and to set the time.
Also it is possible to use Coolreader in this firmware (on the fly switching via .exe.fb2 hack, required scripts here: http://www.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/v3_pswitch_new.zip , also it is possible to use FBReader for CHM and HTML) and it is possible to use newer FreeType font rendering library (via scripts http://www.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/freetype_switch.zip ). To use scripts you should unpack them to SD card and open as usual book (sometimes the hourglass icon won't disappear - just press cancel when green light stops blinking).
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
johh
johh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I86HD ML Plus , T68
There is new firmware V1.27U.080716 - with support mobipocket files . I tested with files from www.ebook.pl ( version 6 prc files which fbreader can't read ).

http://www.lbook.org/downloads/v3upd...6-20080816.zip
johh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #37
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johh View Post
There is new firmware V1.27U.080716 - with support mobipocket files . I tested with files from www.ebook.pl ( version 6 prc files which fbreader can't read ).

http://www.lbook.org/downloads/v3upd...6-20080816.zip
Cool! More updates coming... though, they jumped one month ahead, it's 20080716 and not 20080816
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #38
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
Sweet news Download started and update will as well in a couple of minutes.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #39
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
Good news. Thanks johh!

The weird thing is that lbook updated the firmware download link but not the info. I also checked the Russian ebook forum (www.the-ebook.org) but there seems to be no awareness yet about the Mobipocket support introduced in this firmware. I wonder if DRM support has been implemented...
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #40
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I've had a quick test of the mobi-pocket update. Although it does work fine, the page flipping takes around 3-4 seconds when using a mobi format book (tried with no compression, standard and high with no noticeable difference in speed).

Compared to flipping pages on a html, txt, epub, pdf or wol format of around 1 second.

Hopefully they'll improve it in a later update. Until then, the above formats are more than enough for me

Quote:
I wonder if DRM support has been implemented...
The settings shows "Product ID" as "Not found", so I'm assuming it doesn't.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #41
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
The settings shows "Product ID" as "Not found", so I'm assuming it doesn't.
DRM for mobi files is supported. Menu -> Settings -> Abouts: you should see a 10 characters Product ID. Register that with the online e-book shop, after that download the bought .prc file, it's done.
There is a Dev ID as well (that you don't have to do anything with it). I think, at least the "Product ID" wasn't available with older firmware...

Well, still my favourite remains Coolreader and FB2 files. Now that I've edited Frutiger Linotype font and added the Cyrillic characters from Verdana I can use it (my favourite font for reading generally). Coolreader is great app but I don't understand why it is so choosy when it comes to fonts and it requires Cyrillic characters to be present in order to use it
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #42
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My product id was showing as not found, but I checked again after reading your post and it's now showing the 10 digit code. Strange.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #43
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
My product id was showing as not found, but I checked again after reading your post and it's now showing the 10 digit code. Strange.
Yes, I think the behaviour changed with the latest update... anyway, it's not big, DRM is worse than virus and I hope the publisher will realise that
Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #44
iterati
Zealot

And btw, I tested it with DRM enabled mobi files a bit ago and it works, all right, but there is that delay you've mentioned and generally it doesn't allow you to change fonts (?) using the internal viewer for .prc files... or it does?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #45
JoeD
Guru

It's a shame about the delay. I'm converting my books into fb2 format rather than mobi for now. Eventually I'd like to move to epub instead, but I'm going to leave that until more automated conversion programs become available, until then fb2 looks like it's going to do the job.