Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
eberhardt333
Edge User

Running Out of Storage Space

I recently received a message at the top of my screen saying that I was running low on storage space on the edge itself. I went through and deleted some of the apps I was not ever using, but I know it is going to be an issue again. Almost all of my books and pictures are on the SD card or archived, so I have relatively few items on the hard drive itself.

What can you do to keep the space free? Can you download or transfer the apps to an sd card? Because that is about the only thing I can think of besides limiting the number of apps you have.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Apps tend to be quite small (less than a megabyte), and if your pictures (and presumably music and video files) as well as ebooks are on your SD card, it means your Library should be empty.

But I suspect it's not.

Note that if you "Add to Library", the eDGe is copying the files into a protected area of Internal Storage, i.e., you'll have the same files in two places - Internal Storage and your SD card. If you have items show up under "Library", then that's why you're running low. You can read my recent post here for some options and advice.

Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I'm not sure about the edge, but on an Android phone that message specifically refers to the space for apps. I know that my app space is down from 300MB to 60MB available. 2.2 is the version of Android that will allow apps to SD card, but with the way the edge is set up - calling the SD card extsd- I'm not sure that option will work without moving everything to SD. Normally an app installs on the device and most of it's data, (files,pictures, etc) go on the SD card. But on the edge all those file go to the internal storage; since that is what is named SD card. So all those apps that store info, like note apps, drawing apps, apps like Everpaper (which syncs with Instapaper), save large amounts of data on the SD card.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
pat.indie
Edge User

I am having this problem too (although I have too many apps).

I wonder if there is any app that gets rid of all the temporary files and other junk stored on the internal SD card.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

There is, but for rooted phones only. To clean the cache just go to application, manage apps, use the menu to sort by size, click on each app - one by one - and clear the cache.

Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
eberhardt333
Edge User

I transferred all but a few journals over to my SD card and it did free up some space, but it is still limited. Is the best way then to keep all your books and other documents on the SD card and then only transfer them over when needed? What about maintaining all of the annotations I have made? I know for a PDF that if I don't export, it will only go over without the annotations. What about books? Anyone know? I try to clean up my apps frequently as well. So any that I find I am not using at all I have gotten rid of.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Annotations are only maintained (as editable) within the Library. When you export, the annotations are "burned into" the PDF, so they're still there, but you probably won't be able to edit them.

If the size of your library is pushing the 2 Gb or so ceiling, consider moving your Library to an SD card (8 Gb all the way up to 32 Gb).