Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
USB Mounting on OS X

I have Mac OS X 10.4.10 and iLiad 2.10.2

When I connect the iLiad to my Mac using the USB cable,
the iRex iLiad mounts on my computer just fine, and I can copy documents to it just fine,
but un-mounting the iLiad is problematic.

Typically on Mac OS X to unmount a USB drive, you "eject" it.
When the drive icon disappears form the Mac desktop, you know it is safe to disconnect the device.

However with the iLiad, the USB iLiad drive icon only disappears for a second after ejecting, and then it is immediately auto-mounted again.

So I have been trying to disconnect the iLiad quickly after ejecting the drive.
(trying to pull out the USB cable after the drive icon is removed from the Mac desktop, and before it appears again).

I guess this has worked so far (I just got my iLiad today), and have done this procedure about 15 times.

However on one of these disconnect attempts, the iLiad never left the "Connected to PC" state, and it would not remount on the Mac desktop after plugging the USB cable in again.

Turning the iLiad off and on again resolved the issue, however I am concerned that this is going to eventually cause a problem and make the disk unusable to the Mac.

What are your suggestions?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Good question, as I'm buying a mac myself, and id like to know if this will be an issue. Any Mac owners, please enlighten us!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've never had a problem on OSX 10.3.9. Hm... you might need to check with Apple on this one, actually.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
I found out that if I use Apple Disk Utility, select the image, and click the unmount button, it stays unmounted.

Kind of a pain, but it work.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Can you make a short-cut or script to do that for you? I'd think it would be pretty popular among Mac using iLiadites ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert