Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
tcncalibre
tcncalibre doesn't littertcncalibre doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
ERROR: Failed to email book

Sorry for any duplication here but some of the other posters about failed emails seem to be going into something that might be different from my problem. Anyway, THANKS for this supercool calibre service. I love it and would love it more if the automatic email to my kindle would work. I am using calibre to download the content and I can drag the content to my device when it is hooked up to the computer but the email way would sure be better.

First, I have confirmed that my gmail.com email address is a valid sender to my kindle.com email address. (I also tried it with yahoo which also is an approved sender to the my kindle.com email address.) Next, I successfully fetch the content of my choosing. Then, I get the failed email error messages that, as an example, reads:

Email Business Week to [myname]@kindle.com
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 103, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 776, in _get_socket
File "ssl.py", line 342, in wrap_socket
File "ssl.py", line 121, in __init__
File "ssl.py", line 281, in do_handshake
SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:499: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

Retrying in 301 seconds...

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 103, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 776, in _get_socket
File "ssl.py", line 342, in wrap_socket
File "ssl.py", line 121, in __init__
File "ssl.py", line 281, in do_handshake
SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:499: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

So, what do I do to correct this problem?
tcncalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcncalibre View Post
First, I have confirmed that my gmail.com email address is a valid sender to my kindle.com email address. (I also tried it with yahoo which also is an approved sender to the my kindle.com email address.) Next, I successfully fetch the content of my choosing. Then, I get the failed email error messages that, as an example, reads
You are the second person (out of a million +) to report this error. The previous thread is here.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
tcncalibre
tcncalibre doesn't littertcncalibre doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
email failures from gmail SOLVED

Despite Walt's reference to other threads that didn't solve my problem, I figured it out by noticing that while the gmail set up asks for your gmail user name and places it in the "send email from" field it DOES NOT put your username in the "username" field. Instead it leaves the username field as just "@gmail.com" Thus you need to add your name before the @gmail.com.

Clearly a simple solution but since you type it in in the set up to begin with you don't expect that you might need to type it in again somewhere.
tcncalibre is offline   Reply With Quote