Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
skaiser
skaiser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
What to do - ERROR: Failed to email book

Hi,
I've been using Calibre for a few months now and have it set up to send a bunch of free news subs daily to my Kindle 3G. It worked great until about mid-December when all of a sudden it stopped working. Looking at the errors, this is a copy/paste example:
----------------------------------------

ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email msnbc.com to (my-email-address)@free.kindle.com

Email msnbc.com to (my-email-address)@free.kindle.com

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
----------------------------------------
I don't begin to understand why this is happening, especially when it WAS working just fine. I've checked my firewall and security settings, and it seems like those aren't blocking this. I don't get it.

I also upgraded to the latest version of Calibre and that didn't resolve this issue, either.

Any ideas on why this is happening?
skaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
amazon has stopped accepting mails sent directly from your computer. setup and use an SMTP relay like gmail (click the use gmail button in the email preferences in calibre)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
skaiser
skaiser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Wow, I had no idea that change occurred. Thank you so much. I'll try that next.

Oh - now I see how this works... just the same. Got it set up and the free news sources are now showing up on my Kindle as usual. Fabulous. :-)

Thanks again! Love Calibre. Such a fantastic tool. Changes everything with my Kindle. I really appreciate your efforts. :-)

Last edited by skaiser; 12-31-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: update info, removed questions deemed unnecessary LOL
skaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no, it means you use the gmail mail server to send the mails for you, which happens automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, error message, errors, kindle