Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I agree with her about the 505, I love mine and don't see a need to upgrade to the nook or the Kindle 3. For all the improvements they boast there are far too many restrictions and fine print to enjoy them as much as I could. The 505 is a fantastic reader, I love it.

As for book prices, there's always public domain. I think I've only bought one e-book in my few years of owning the 505, everything else has been public domain classics and history books.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, to be honest, an e-reader really shouldn't need to be upgraded every year or two. So many people seem to want mini iPads out of them.

But yeah, I think what is going to make or break e-books is how the publishers handle selling them. That's pretty awful right now, but as more people get the devices, I think the publishers will feel more pressure from piracy, and decide they need to open things up and offer reasonable pricing, just like what happened with mp3s.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
the general bull-headedness of publishers in regard to understanding and pricing e-books, has completely disillusioned me in regard to purchasing any e-books, from any publisher or retailer. DRM is still an issue, formats are still not standardized... the list goes on.

My PRS-505 is gathering dust
Well, I don't get this at all. I have had an ereader for almost a year now and there is more choice today than a year ago. Ebooks remain -- consistently cheaper -- than paperbooks in the main: and I am talking about paperbooks of any sort.

I don't care a whit about DRM or multi-formats since almost everything is available in the two formats that matter: Kindle and ePub. DRM has not once gotten in the way of my enjoying a novel.

I simply do not understand this gripe. My Kindle and my Kobo are NOT gathering dust.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
While I am highly annoyed at the Agency 5 debacle, I'm actually reading more now as a result. I've read over 150 e-books this year, compared to only 60 in all of last year. In fact I'm avoiding reading a handful of p-Books on my TBR pile.

But I am fortunate enough to have access to two robust e-libraries, and the majority of my favorite authors and ongoing series have been e-books for quite some time.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
My enthusiasm is gone.
Hey, whatever floats your boat.

For me, my ereader has long been merely a functional object rather than a source of enthusiasm. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce
More importantly, the general bull-headedness of publishers in regard to understanding and pricing e-books, has completely disillusioned me in regard to purchasing any e-books, from any publisher or retailer.....
There is a ton of public domain books -- enough to last you a lifetime -- as well as tons put out by smaller publishers, and the aforementioned Overdrive. With a Sony, you should have lots of options.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Well if your enjoying your trips to the library i guess you are still enjoying a good read and that is the most important thing.

I am new to ebook readers and have my first one so i have nothing to compare it to, but i love the portability of being able to take more than one book with me anywhere i choose to go.

Don't let your PRS-505 gather too must dust, it's been good to you so you owe it to at least protect it until the day you pick it up again and start enjoying it's benefits.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #22
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Much the same thing happened with music when MP3 players came out - everything was tied up in DRM and people complained of losing whole music libraries when they flushed their Ipod down the loo or some such disaster. Now public demand had forced a lot of music distributors to open up formats, make a better quality product and reduce the prices. It only takes one big distributor or publisher to really decide to open up the market and the others just follow. Just remember, there were people out there who objected to the introduction of the printing press because it would open up literature to the "masses"; how dare a "lower class" person receive an education! I think this spirit is alive and well and living in a lot of large publishing houses!
Yes, certainly with the 'books should cost more because *splutter* *blather* *choke*...because...because they should' people it is. Interested only in money, not people's access to literature, etc.

Not sure I have seen anyone ask them - why should some mediocre hack's book be valued at a higher price than a movie that cost several hundred million to make?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
As Easy Reader from the Electric Company (Morgan Freeman) once said it best "I have got to read." So much so there is no longer any room to move around in my basement. EReaders have managed to spare my home of never ending clutter, the books were threatening to take over my living room in addition to the basement, which they have already over run.
Karma to you for this post simply because that picture and quote made me happy. "I have got to read."
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I agree with her about the 505, I love mine and don't see a need to upgrade to the nook or the Kindle 3. For all the improvements they boast there are far too many restrictions and fine print to enjoy them as much as I could. The 505 is a fantastic reader, I love it.
I love my 505 as well! I haven't been tempted to buy any other reader. I just passed the two year mark for owning my 505, and I hope it lasts for a long time, or until the 505b is created, with just the tiniest of improvements.

Quote:
My enthusiasm is gone.

None of the new devices seems to offer any improvements over my Sony PRS-505, at least none that appeal to me.

More importantly, the general bull-headedness of publishers in regard to understanding and pricing e-books, has completely disillusioned me in regard to purchasing any e-books, from any publisher or retailer. DRM is still an issue, formats are still not standardized... the list goes on.

My PRS-505 is gathering dust, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my trips to Chicago's fantastic public libraries to check out my books.
I wish we had a better digital library selection (all the books I'd like to get seem to be on audio, but not epub), and I still tend to get most of my newer books and traditionally published books in paper form from the library. I still love physical books.

I use my reader quite a bit for independent works, actually. They are less expensive and I've found some fantastic stories that rival any of the better traditionally published ones out there.

I guess I don't see it as an all-or-nothing thing. I go back and forth. Right now, I'm reading a lot of indie work, and using my reader. Sometimes I read a lot of popular stuff, and I check it out from the library. Unlike a lot of readers on MR, I really don't hoard books. I go through books like mad, but it's not important to me to own the books. I'm not a collector of books. I'm a collector of stories.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
You can take my ebook device from me only when you pry it from my cold dead hands!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
None of the new devices seems to offer any improvements over my Sony PRS-505, at least none that appeal to me.
Why do they need to?

My car is a lot older than my 505 ... so is the chair I'm sitting in, the T-shirt I'm wearing, and the roof over my head. They haven't been improved because they've already got it right. If the 505 does what you want (and from the number of them out there, it appears that for a lot of us, it does) why is its improvement necessary? Contrary to what the people selling us things want us to believe, we don't need to buy new things all the time if our existing things do what we need to have done.

I'm happy with my 505, with the thousands of public domain books on it, with the Tim Myers ebooks I bought yesterday, and with the third Hammer's Slammers collection (completed my set! yay!) I just got from Baen. It does what I need, and shows every sign of continuing to do what it did when I bought it -- something which I needed, and thought was worth the price, back then, and haven't changed my mind since.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #27
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
The higher prices have killed my enthusiasm for buying ebooks. I used to buy them by the dozens, but now I buy maybe 1 every month or two. However, I have a huge library of ebooks I built up over the last decade to read plus what I can check out from the library so I have plenty of use for my eReading device without getting ripped off by greedy publishers.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #28
Jeri Patrick
I like to watch
Jeri Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
My enthusiasm is gone............

purchasing any e-books
Purchase? Yikes! I NEVER plan to buy an e-book. Our local library and the public domain will keep me happy for years to come.
Jeri Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #29
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Heh, I lost a lot of interest while in possession of the 505, and the Kindle, or at least the new E-Ink Pearl screen has...er...kinda rekindled my interest a little...at least in making PDFs for books I'm genuinely interested in, and tolerating rubbish MOBI files for free disposable reading. The improvement in readability for me is significant, and makes the creation of visually pleasing files more worthwhile, whereas it felt like a lost cause on the old Sony.

Perhaps a few months down the line I'll get sick again of ripping apart ebook files and building PDFs out of them and return to paper books again for a while.

If you've got physical books conveniently available to you, I think it's reasonable to find ebooks lacking. Were I still living in the USA with the same library access I had before, I would have not bothered going digital at all.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #30
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
If you've got physical books conveniently available to you, I think it's reasonable to find ebooks lacking. Were I still living in the USA with the same library access I had before, I would have not bothered going digital at all.
Ah, a kindred spirit. I doubt I would have been tempted to go digital except for living in France and cutting back on my regular visits to the US, where I would browse the bookstores and drop a tidy sum on reading material to tide me over to my next visit.

The libraries here proudly carry only French titles and don't even want donations of literary works in foreign languages like English. Bookshops are protected by legal price protection and only the largest book shops in Paris carry anything more than the "trade bestsellers" you can find in any international airport in the world.

Now that I have it, I couldn't live without my Reader, but I certainly understand those who aren't interested, given easy access to new books and a convenient way to weed out your growing collections by donating to libraries, hospitals or other organizations.

The publishers' current distribution and pricing policies are definitely a PITA, but so far, at least, fairly easily gotten around. I expect these policies will change, but living in France, I expect change to come slowly.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote