Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #9766
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman a couple of days ago. It was really good! Apparently the book is based on a BBC-series. I think I'm going to see if I can find this serie and watch it
Oh - I thought it was the other way around. In any case, I have the series and have watched it. It was quite faithful to the book actually. I enjoyed. it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #9767
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holterzoff View Post
I read dervish house earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Although it wasn't an easy read for me (i'm native german), this book fascinated me. Have you read another book by McDonald?
I'm currently reading "bitter seeds" by Ian Tregillis, which is also a very good read.
cheers!
I read River of Gods by McDonald and really enjoyed it. All his ebooks are on my wish list at the moment.
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #9768
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want a sense of community!!! (Yes, I'm very needy!)

I'm currently reading my first Hobb book, "Assasin's Apprentice," and I'm loving it.

I just bought the newest bundle of her books, and plan to buy the earlier bundle, and also the other 2 in the immediate series that I'm reading.

Her work is very engaging and thoughtful. The pace is leisurely and thought-provoking, and her characters seem real: they reflect and think.

I highly recommend the book I'm reading. From what I've read about the other 8 titles in the overall series, she is not to be missed!

So let's talk about BOOKS!!!!!

Don
currently reading Dean Koontz Frankenstein Dead Town, do have a few others of the current 6000 ebooks i have but i cant for the life of me recall what ones im reading
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #9769
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
currently reading Dean Koontz Frankenstein Dead Town, do have a few others of the current 6000 ebooks i have but i cant for the life of me recall what ones im reading

Hmmmm . 6000 books at roughly £5.00 each - that's £30,000 spent on books!!!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #9770
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Hmmmm . 6000 books at roughly £5.00 each - that's £30,000 spent on books!!!
My average ebook cost (for books read) since January 2010 is $3.44, or about £2.15/ebook. Which would mean 6,000 ebooks for less than £13,000.

But I suspect that a large number of those ebooks will be classics and freebies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #9771
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My average ebook cost (for books read) since January 2010 is $3.44, or about £2.15/ebook. Which would mean 6,000 ebooks for less than £13,000.

But I suspect that a large number of those ebooks will be classics and freebies.
Yes, or obtained elsewhere...
Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #9772
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An excellent murder mystery, without any of her major characters. Note that Kindle for iOS doesn't like trying to open files with a question mark in the file name.

Next up: F&SF Magazine, June 2002. I find F&SF rather variable (in that some of the stories don't match my taste), but I'm still pleased I got these back-issues.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #9773
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Finished "The white tiger" by Aravind Adiga. Absolutely brilliant book! Highly recommended.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #9774
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I talked about Nancy Fulda's collection on here a ... while ago. (Backlash short and Dead Men Don't Cry). Loved it and now Baen has posted one of her shorts for free:

http://www.baen.com/ThatUndiscoveredCountry.asp

I assume this is one that was published by Baen in Baen's Universe, but haven't read it yet so I'm not sure. I know she had at least one published in Universe. I think this one had something to do with that contest Baen ran a year or so ago looking for stories on a particular theme...don't ask me what, my memory isn't THAT good!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #9775
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished reading Bad Blood by Amanda Coetzee, a South African crime writer who grew up in Bedford, England (where the novel is set). It's her debut novel and t was a surprisingly good read with a nice twist worked into the plot. Unfortunately the 'twist' was revealed a bit too early for my taste and was a bit predictable. (Read my review here)

I'm not sure if her novel is available internationally, but if you do come across it give it a chance.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #9776
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Finished "The white tiger" by Aravind Adiga. Absolutely brilliant book! Highly recommended.
Agreed
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #9777
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I don't get a lot of time to read anymore so when I find a good book and settle in, I'm really, REALLY happy. When that book turns a corner 2/3rds of the way in and falls apart, I can't quite describe the disappointment.

Embers by Laura Bickle

Man, this book was going strong. At one point I was thinking top reads of the year. But yanno, a character has got to stay in character and yeah, I get bad decisions to...well, why? To develop the plot? To stage later actions? Hell, I don't know, but 2/3rds of the way in this book took a left turn to hell and I knew where it was going. I skipped. I just could not see putting myself through wasting the rest of my afternoon. Finished the last chapter and then went hunting reviews. Yup, I'd been right. In fact, it was even worse than I thought, because I kept thinking as I skipped that, "No, that won't happen because that would be *too* stupid and surely this thing would not do that. It must redeem itself. I'm just being picky and..."

Well, I guess it really can take a turn like that.

Hmph. I'm so mad. I so rarely take an afternoon off devoted to reading.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #9778
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

Yes, it's fantastic, won the Booker prize I think. In the next couple of weeks I will be reading his latest "Last Man in Tower" for my book club and am looking forward to it.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #9779
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Yes, it's fantastic, won the Booker prize I think. In the next couple of weeks I will be reading his latest "Last Man in Tower" for my book club and am looking forward to it.
OK - that's quite enough. Now I've gone and bought the thing.

Actually - looks like a great book to buy my mother for Christmas.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #9780
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I really liked the White Tiger, I should check out "Last Man in Tower". Thanks for the heads up.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote