Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #46
Mark_A_Lopez
Husband. Dad. Author.
Mark_A_Lopez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But the e-book phenomenon, for this adopter, has been squashed by the publishing industry, and so they've lost a customer.
Don't let the publishers ruin your eReading experience, there are too many free eBooks out there waiting to be read. Amazon has countless DRM free free books (that can be converted using Calibre), not to mention sites like Project Gutenberg or Google books. I enjoy going to the library for most of my newer titles, but for classics, ereaders are the way to go.
Mark_A_Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #47
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
My enthusiasm is gone ...
When you bought your e-book reader, did you stop reading paper books? If so then I really don't understand this mindset. I look upon my e-book reader as simply another way of reading things, rather than as some new technology that replaces everything else. Why should it be an either/or choice, instead of a win/win one? I am absolutely delighted with my new e-book reader, but could not imagine giving up reading paper books.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #48
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
When you bought your e-book reader, did you stop reading paper books?
I did.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #49
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
When you bought your e-book reader, did you stop reading paper books? If so then I really don't understand this mindset. I look upon my e-book reader as simply another way of reading things, rather than as some new technology that replaces everything else. Why should it be an either/or choice, instead of a win/win one? I am absolutely delighted with my new e-book reader, but could not imagine giving up reading paper books.
Now that the prices are getting closer to reasonable levels for the devices, it's getting easier for the typical consumer to see them as a supplement to paper books rather than as a replacement. When they were $250, $300, or even more for the 6" readers, it was not a casual expense for many buyers, but rather a serious investment, demanding a bit more in the way of justification.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #50
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
... a serious investment ...
Indeed, but it cuts both ways. I dread to think how much I've spent on paper books. Apart from ones that I've sold, or given away, I still have well in excess of a thousand.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #51
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I don't get it, if your enthusiasm is gone cos you're ... connected, then there are lots of ereaders that aren't connected. The Jetbook well, at least the lite that I know of, it's not connected to any store, has no wifi, you can get books from almost anywhere you want, 'cept, Amazon. And if you know how to remove their drm, you can have those books too. But like some of the others said, at least your'e still reading, and their may come a time when you'll want to return. Your prs-505 will be waiting. Hoo nose, by that time, alll the drm will be... somewhat gone.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #52
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am just curious, what sort of improvements do you want to your ebook reader? There are readers with wifi, touch screens, etc. The latest Sony readers combine the best screen yet with an excellent touch screen.
I'll tell you what I want in a dedicated eInk-based ereader:

1. A screen that better approximates the text block size of a typical hardback book.

2. A pixel density of at least 300 dpi at that screen size.

3. A background that better approximates the typical white color of a quality hardback page - I got so sick of reading text on a gray background.

I used a 505 for a year, and in the end I hated it for all the shortcomings in the areas above. I read on an iPad now, and I consider it a stopgap between the 505-generation reader and the eventual reader that will satisfy my needs. I liked the concept of eInk, but at the slow pace of development in that tech, I can't really see something becoming commercially viable that would meet my criteria much before about 2015 at the earliest. The eInk industry is too focused on silly eye-candy useless things like putting washed-out color on the screens: they need to mature the B&W experience first before getting lost on a tangent.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #53
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm more of a "glass half full" guy myself.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #54
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I'll tell you what I want in a dedicated eInk-based ereader:

1. A screen that better approximates the text block size of a typical hardback book.

2. A pixel density of at least 300 dpi at that screen size.

3. A background that better approximates the typical white color of a quality hardback page - I got so sick of reading text on a gray background.

I used a 505 for a year, and in the end I hated it for all the shortcomings in the areas above. I read on an iPad now, and I consider it a stopgap between the 505-generation reader and the eventual reader that will satisfy my needs. I liked the concept of eInk, but at the slow pace of development in that tech, I can't really see something becoming commercially viable that would meet my criteria much before about 2015 at the earliest. The eInk industry is too focused on silly eye-candy useless things like putting washed-out color on the screens: they need to mature the B&W experience first before getting lost on a tangent.

Why don't you go back to paper books? They are great. Nice covers, you can write on the margins, they are cheap if you buy second-hand and the choice is amazing...that technology is definitely mature. And come back here in 5 years.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 11-16-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #55
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
But the e-book phenomenon, for this adopter, has been squashed by the publishing industry, and so they've lost a customer.

Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #56
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'm not sure what is meant by "white" paper. I just opened my Hard Bound copy of the Lost Symbol. The paper is definitely a very light beige or cream. It certain is not WHITE. That book's color is probably just as much off from white as the very pale Gray of my Kindle 3.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #57
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
... I got so sick of reading text on a gray background ...
Regarding whiteness, as I expect you know, e-ink relies on the ambient light level. So, the brighter the light, the whiter it looks. Whereas, the apparently white pages of paper books begin to yellow with increased exposure to light, even though at first you may not be aware of it. Those produced from cheap paper, containing high levels of lignin, tend to yellow more rapidly, whereas the ones produced from higher quality paper, typically containing 1/20th as much lignin, fair better. But even they will eventually begin to yellow when exposed to bright light. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your reading, how ever you do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm more of a "glass half full" guy myself.
So those who are critical, as in this case (ie of the limitations of the currently available technology), make a positive contribution by helping drive manufacturers to make improvements for the rest of us to enjoy.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-16-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #58
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by "white" paper. I just opened my Hard Bound copy of the Lost Symbol. The paper is definitely a very light beige or cream. It certain is not WHITE. That book's color is probably just as much off from white as the very pale Gray of my Kindle 3.
A decent hardcover paper stock is indeed not white, but the white reflectance is significantly higher than what you get on EPDs, and the color is something many people would like to see improved.

I was going to add E-Ink Pearl to my picture showing different grades of paper, but I haven't had the time to set it up. E-Ink in the picture is PRS-505.

I too would like to see a boost in white reflectance as well as refresh speed and resolution. I can now handle reading on E-Ink Pearl, but was only barely tolerating it on the PRS-505.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mosaic.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	61288  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #59
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
LBDoblo, that's a neat image. Could you add a Pearl screen and also an iphone and/or ipad?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #60
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
LBDoblo, that's a neat image. Could you add a Pearl screen and also an iphone and/or ipad?
Unfortunately I do not have an iPad or iPhone or any similar device with which to do a similar photo set. However, I did a new small group with Hardcover, paperback, and the two E-Ink variants. White balance was pre-set for each medium and brightness is pretty accurate in relative terms, but it's not perfect. The original goal was to compare the basic rendering and contrast levels.

This time I managed to get very close to the same typeface for all of them too, so it's slightly more apples-to-apples. I didn't tweak everything to be 100% accurate, and I didn't have time to do laser print, magazine, and newspaper like my previous examples. Apologies for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epd-pearl-papercloseups.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	61289