Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Seems like something's hogging the memory. On both my iPad and iPhone 5S I always have less than 10MB left of RAM. I don't know if that's normal though as there is now actually a use for these apps with the widgets.

No slowdowns though.
Free RAM is wasted RAM. A decent operating system will keep a small amount of RAM free to allow a new app to be started quickly, but will allow the running apps to use RAM up to this limit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #122
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Free RAM is wasted RAM. A decent operating system will keep a small amount of RAM free to allow a new app to be started quickly, but will allow the running apps to use RAM up to this limit.
True. I guess I'm so used to looking at my Android device usage. Just looked at Activity Monitor on my Mac and I'm using 3.99GB out of 4GB, plus 9.83GB of Virtual Memory.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #123
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This site is equally applicable here (although targeted at explaining to linux newbies):

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #124
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Apple has stopped signing iOS 7. Upgrade at your own risk.

Also there was a new iOS 8 bug reported today. If you "Reset Settings", then it may permanently delete iWork files from iCloud (even though data and media are supposed to be unaffected).
http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/icloud...ork-documents/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #125
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

8.1 betas went out to developers earlier today.
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #126
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But wasted RAM is also wasted RAM. Even good operating systems aren't perfect, and neither are all apps.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #127
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
8.1 betas went out to developers earlier today.
Thanks for the info. How long do you estimate until it's released?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #128
Jessica Lares
Wizard

During the October keynote. It still has a lot of the same bugs.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #129
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope the Yosemite upgrade goes well, but I will be waiting on the sidelines to see how it goes. I still have issues with Logitech mice and keyboards on Mavericks because Logitech never got the drivers sorted out. I like the way Mavericks works, so there isn't much incentive to upgrade unless iOS 8 and Yosemite actually work well with each other and share information in a usable manner. I'm hoping they can get the Mail app to finally work well in Yosemite, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #130
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I just finished installing the Yosemite GM today. Right now I'm getting my iTunes Library in order. I was tired of waiting. Most of my apps are Yosemite ready anyway.

They've been specifically sending out new builds of the Mail app, so I think they're close.

I had to setup OS X with just my keyboard until I could navigate Safari to get the Wacom drivers. Worst experience ever, even with VoiceOver.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #131
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I hope the Yosemite upgrade goes well, but I will be waiting on the sidelines to see how it goes. I still have issues with Logitech mice and keyboards on Mavericks because Logitech never got the drivers sorted out. I like the way Mavericks works, so there isn't much incentive to upgrade unless iOS 8 and Yosemite actually work well with each other and share information in a usable manner. I'm hoping they can get the Mail app to finally work well in Yosemite, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Theres a lot of the photography stuff on iOS8 which has changed, and which doesnt work particularly well since there is no photostream, you have to enable the icloud photo thing if you want that and I dont want every photo I take to be auto uploaded to the minimal space I have. I use it for documents and data from other apps. Additionally, the new photos app is why all the changes, but that isnt being released until next year. Its so annoying. I downgraded everything so I could still keep using the photos app as it is, iPhoto, and photostream.

My mail.app has been replaced by an app called Postbox on the computer. It took a while to get used to it, because I had been using mail.app exclusively since 2003, but I now prefer it. I hope it still works in Yosemite. I don't much like the mail app in iOS but oh well I havent found an adequate replacement yet, though I have tried quite a few.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #132
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm running 8.02 on my iPad Air, but I don't recall okaying the download. Updating to 8.0 was a deliberate decision. Then again, maybe I did. Things have been confusing around here lately.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #133
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm running 8.02 on my iPad Air, but I don't recall okaying the download. Updating to 8.0 was a deliberate decision. Then again, maybe I did. Things have been confusing around here lately.
Maybe it was the ghost of Steve Jobs.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #134
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You probably didn't. I've noticed more and more intrusive behaviour from Apple as far as downloads go. My phone downloaded 8.01 when I downgraded from 7.1.2, because whilst I was activating and restoring apps, Apple decided that I *really* wanted iOS8 instead. I have now got all auto updating switched off but have to put up with the icon badge alerting me that theres an update... Thank goodness for being able to delete unrequested downloads.

The most annoying aspect of iOS8 for me is actually not to do with Apple. Its that many of the apps I use have now been updated in itunes, BUT they are not compatible with anything less than iOS8. I don''t know why devs are cutting off some of their potential income from new users of devices which cannot (or refuse to) run 8. I know its not about the OS, because I have some when updated which do work. Annoying.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-05-2014 at 01:01 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #135
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
How do you switch off auto update? I haven't found the option in the settings app. Apparently my iPad still hasn't downloaded iOS 8, which I'm grateful for but I don't know why

I suppose it's more work for developers to keep their apps compatible with several OSes. But it's not as bad as it used to be, since you can still download the last version compatible with your OS. I once thought of using iMovie to edit a video I was working on while on the road, but I couldn't because I hadn't yet updated my iPad and iTunes refused to sell it to me. I bought another app instead and never bought iMovie even after I upgraded the iPad.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote