Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Buying book after sampling keeps sample but not last read page

I recently downloaded an ebook sample on my Kindle 3 and started reading it. I decided to buy the book before reaching the sample's end. When the full book was downloaded, I realized that the sample was still on the device, and the last read page had not been preserved in the full book. Is this the way samples are supposed to work?
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
i don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but i did the same thing last night, only reaching the very end of the sample and using the 'buy now' link from there. and the full book was downloaded, but the sample remained and i had to manually move through pages to get to where the sample had left off.

and interesting note, the sample just ended mid-chapter. so even if there had been a table of contents, which this particular book didn't have, i still could not have quickly navigated to where i'd left off.

seems like there must be a better way to do this?
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
orjanb
orjanb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi, Sony Ericsson X10i
There's pro's and con's to resetting the last read page or not. I regularly find myself reading samples, but not necessarily jumping straight into the full book. In that case, I really do want to re-read the sample part as well.
But the best solution would be to ask a question, e.g. "Do you want to keep reading this book from the end of the sample or do you want to start from the beginning?"
orjanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by orjanb View Post
But the best solution would be to ask a question, e.g. "Do you want to keep reading this book from the end of the sample or do you want to start from the beginning?"
That would be nice.

Yeah the samples and the actual books are considered 2 independent books so what happens to one wont happen to the other.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool page number or location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
i don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but i did the same thing last night, only reaching the very end of the sample and using the 'buy now' link from there. and the full book was downloaded, but the sample remained and i had to manually move through pages to get to where the sample had left off.

and interesting note, the sample just ended mid-chapter. so even if there had been a table of contents, which this particular book didn't have, i still could not have quickly navigated to where i'd left off.

seems like there must be a better way to do this?
you'd most likely be able to quickly navigate to where you quit reading by remembering and using the page number or the location where you stopped reading.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
yes this is exactly the way Amazon does things. My berry's kindle reader does the same thing, the way I cope with this is when reading a sample I always take note of where I am in the book, such as four pages into chapter one. If I chose to purchase the book I then go to the fourth page in chapter one and I am typically where I left off.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Amazon treats samples as separate books. A feature to take you to where you left off would be really nice though.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
jdgoff
Author
jdgoff began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The last read page is denoted by an html tag in the file of the book. When you download the full book you're getting a new file which doesn't have that tag in it. If you go back to the sample you'll most likely find that the last read page for the sample is still there, but since you're reading a different file with the full version, there's nothing marking where you left off. There are some logistical problems with transferring the tag because it marks a specific location in the file to mark your place, and depending on formatting, the bookmark may not match up with the full copy.

If you find the last page in the sample and note the words in a paragraph, you can search for those same words in the full copy and catch up to where you were.

Hope this helps.

JDG
www.sommerstone.com
jdgoff is offline   Reply With Quote