Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
iPodcast: Simple podcast creation and syndication on the way?

Engadget is running a story about Apple filing to trademark the term "iPodcast". You can read the filings at the US Patent and Trademark Office here and here.

Is this, as some people have suggested, a bold attempt by Apple to assimilate the very popular term "podcasting" as well as associated technologies, or rather an indication that a next-gen iPod device or iTunes phone with audio recording capabilities is on the way, as well as an iTunes update to make the creation and syndication of podcasts a much more simple and streamlined process?

My bet is on something along the lines of the latter, maybe with some iChat AV and GarageBand integration thrown in on the desktop.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Podcasts seem to becoming the 'next' blogs... It's something that's becoming more and more mainstream, and more and more flooded with slightly-worthless content...

Don't get me wrong, some blogs are useful, and interesting. If you describe MobileRead as a blog, then it's a good example of a good one (personally I'd describe it more as a news website, but that might just be me). Same thing with Surfin' Safari (Safari/WebKit devel blog - interesting stuff in it sometimes), or, again if you consider it a blog, Engadget.

But some of them, for example, many LiveJournals, are just idiots blathering away on things no one really cares about... Sorry if I seem harsh, but I never really got into the whole 'blog' thing too much... Similar thing with podcasts... I played around with them, and occasionally listen to one, but it just doesn't catch on for me...

I much prefer reading my news, as I can read much faster than the average person can talk, without being incoherent.
Advert
Old 09-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
I much prefer reading my news, as I can read much faster than the average person can talk, without being incoherent.
I agree. I am concerned when content gets converted into audio at the cost of the written form. Usually podcasts are much more time consuming and less interesting than print. But due to the personal touch of hearing a voice, they are nice in small doses if you know the podcaster, even if the content isn't the best.

But bringing it to the masses is good even if much is garbage. We'll find ways to find the best content and the ones that are worth listening to, whether it's the personal connection or the quality of content. Why not let people have their fun? They certainly will with easy access to podcast creation and publishing via iPodCasting if Brian's right. I just won't be listening to most of it.

BTW, I think secured podcasting makes a lot of sense also. I.e. a private podcast published for only a select set of listeners, and controlled by login. Why not put out a family podcast, or a club podcast with private info in it?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
I agree that there are a lot of boring, ranting, rambling and poorly produced podcasts out there. Before a website, company, or individual releases their first podcast, they should really think about their audience, where/when they'll be listening (most often while commuting or exercising, where you can't read), and whether or not the content and format of the podcast will "add value" for the listener.

I do think the process of podcast creation is rather complicated right now: Recording, encoding to the right audio format on the computer, creating the RSS feed, and where to host the files are all barriers that limit podcast creation and syndication to the early adopters and tech-savvy. There are a lot of non-tech savvy people out there who have something interesting to say and would make excellent podcasters who would bring much needed talent, variety and diversity to podcasts, but they have no clue where to start. A combination of the right hardware and applications to make podcasting simple and would also help improve the quality and production value, would be a great step in the evolution of podcasting. Apple has most, if not all of the pieces that they can put together rather easily, especially on the Mac: GarageBand for audio mixing, iChat AV for multiple hosts and interviews, iPhoto to add pictures to "enhanced podcasts", and their use of the Akamai network and iTMS where they could eventually host podcasts which opens up all kinds of possibilities.

When you break it down, podcasting is merely another example of personalized media, which is what most people really want: Content when and where they want it.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
But some of them, for example, many LiveJournals, are just idiots blathering away on things no one really cares about... Sorry if I seem harsh, but I never really got into the whole 'blog' thing too much... Similar thing with podcasts... I played around with them, and occasionally listen to one, but it just doesn't catch on for me...
I agree that the vast majority of personal blogs are ego-stroking, pretentious drivel. They are, however, mostly written by teenagers so I won't be too harsh here. (God help you if you still do this when you're in your 30s.)

I won't mention any names, but there are some podcasts in the mobile tech community that are just embarrassing to listen to.

Incidentally, the only Podcasts I listen to on a regular basis are The World Tech Podcast and BBC Go Digital. They are essentially professionally produced radio programs, but delivered through a different medium.

Quote:
Bingo!
Advert
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't want to turn this into a podcast-trashing discussion, but I could never understand the hype around postcasts. Sure it's nice to listen to someone's voice sometimes... either you do it because you just like the sound of audio - in which case you could more easily turn to your local radio station - or because you like the content of the podcast - in which case you probably get more information faster by just reading the news.

Back to the topic: to quote Barb of Engadget: trying to get a trademark on the term "iPodcast" is kind of a slap in the face to all the folks who were doing this long before you came along. How true.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Why doesn't Apple simply patent the small letter "i"? iPodcast, iBlog, iRSS, iAjax, iWeb... iOwn the world.