Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #1666
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Smile

Hubby informed me, tonight, that Cold Days has just made Jim Butcher one of his favorite authors of all time! He's not quite half way through the book as yet (45%).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1667
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher KC Q&A 1/24/13

Sound level is low, you may need headphones or earbuds.

The below video was Uploaded to YouTube on Nov 27, 2011 by Priscilla Spencer.

A snippet from Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story," done in monologue form for an application. Once the one-minute required monologue was recorded, I turned around and recorded the full scene I wanted to depict, albeit cutting and tweaking a few lines to make the monologue treatment smoother. I am as hopeless an overachiever as I am a nerd.

By the way the audio is just great on this video

Last edited by alansplace; 02-14-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add content
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #1668
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
One question I want answered: Why does Toe-moss Raith say Empty Night! ? It never gets explained right. First I thought Harry uses it too, but in later books only Thomas uses it.

P.S.: Thanks Alan, nice links to watch again.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1669
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
One question I want answered: Why does Toe-moss Raith say Empty Night! ? It never gets explained right. First I thought Harry uses it too, but in later books only Thomas uses it.

P.S.: Thanks Alan, nice links to watch again.
As I understand it, it's kind of a soft curse, the same way Harry sighs "Hell's Bells".
I think its a White Court expression.
(Hi everyone, figured I'd lurked long enough . )

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-14-2013 at 07:43 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #1670
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
As I understand it, it's kind of a soft curse, the same way Harry sighs "Hell's Bells".
Congrats on de-lurking and joining the party!

I catch myself saying "stars and stones". I think I recall hearing a rumor of some sort that the "end trilogy" is supposed to be titled after the three phrases we're discussing here. Alan?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #1671
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

I catch myself saying "stars and stones". I think I recall hearing a rumor of some sort that the "end trilogy" is supposed to be titled after the three phrases we're discussing here. Alan?
I just say f'ing hell when I get pissed at something. You can guess what the proper spelling is of the first word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #1672
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Mhh "soft curse". Interesting. It always sounds so innocent. Every time nothing happens. But then, it might just as bad as nothing good or useful happend. Next time I ask sooner. This has been bugging me for quite a few books now. Right now in Changes almost done - big battle going to start soon ...

Quote:

Three. Three? Three! I see where that is going. I think Jim tries to pull our leg with three. He already mentioned the closing needs to be three, as in trilogy.
Spoiler:
There is three swords. Why not four? Last I checked Jesus had four limbs to get nailed - but then maybe they saved a nail by combining the feet. Another three in worlds: Normal (mainly physical), Never Never (half-mortal spiritural), Never World (immune to mortal ??). We always see three generations - very seldom do we see four alive. Many parents are dead. Grandparents are also dead or non-existant. Old-mentor - old apprentice == new mentor - new apprentice. Once the apprentice takes on a new charge, their mentor's mentor is already gone. Jason dead, McCoy's mentor dead (it is never said directly, but he got inherited the books of his past mentors up to the real Merlin). With the longegivity of Wizards, why not see 4 generations alive?
There is probably more to three than springs to my mind right now. In the end, it is probably all wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just say f'ing hell when I get pissed at something. You can guess what the proper spelling is of the first word.
Well, but then, the language used by Jim is always pretty clean. The bad comes in without much cursing needed (not in a sense that we understand cursing).
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1673
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I used that very phrase several times while trying to sort out the Redshirts situation.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #1674
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I used that very phrase several times while trying to sort out the Redshirts situation.
Why have to sort it out. I already did that and you know I'm correct. The title is just plain old Redshirts. The eBook says so and the listing is for the eBook.

My wife says bloody hell. When she hears me, she sometimes says language and I reply "Yes, it is language".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #1675
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night are supposedly their titles.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #1676
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Yep, Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night are supposedly their titles.

In what order though? Probably like that. Hell's Bells toll, stars and stones fall from the sky, once they are fallen down the night is empty (no more stars). Now the soundtrack can be provided by Metallica's For Whom The Bells Toll.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #1677
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night

Quote:
In what order though? Probably like that. Hell's Bells toll, stars and stones fall from the sky, once they are fallen down the night is empty (no more stars). Now the soundtrack can be provided by Metallica's For Whom The Bells Toll.
Yep, the way I understand it is that they'll be in that order.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #1678
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Mhh "soft curse". Interesting. It always sounds so innocent. Every time nothing happens. But then, it might just as bad as nothing good or useful happend. Next time I ask sooner. This has been bugging me for quite a few books now.
I always assumed "Empty Night" - as far as the White Court "curse" goes - was in relation to not feeding. Empty night = not finding anything (anyone) to feed upon = another day of hunger = chance of losing control, etc.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #1679
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I'm always saying Hells Bells. I have a bad habit of swearing. I figure this doesn't sound so bad if I slip in front of the kids.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #1680
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Big Apocalyptic Trilogy

Ouoted from dresdenfiles.wikia.com
Quote:
The Big Apocalyptic Trilogy is the name given for the intended last books of the The Dresden Files series.

According to Jim Butcher he intends to capstone the Dresden Files with a "Big Apocalyptic Trilogy" because "who doesn't like Apocalyptic Trilogies?"

He originally intended for the Dresden Files to contain 20 Case Files and then finish off with the Trilogy but has stated in several signing sessions that the events that take place in Changes were intended to happen at the book 10 midpoint, so the casefiles may run as high as 22-24 books.

The titles for the trilogy are: Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy