Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
jhkaplan
jhkaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thinking of switching to K3 from Nook. Calibre & Whispersync Question before I buy...

Hi all,

I'm new to the ereader world and I just found MR.com. This place is great and I've learned so much browsing the threads. I just registered here to post these few questions.

I recently bought a Nook off of Craigslist and I love it. It's my first ereader, and it honestly makes reading so much more fun for me! In the year prior to the Nook, I might have read 1-2 books. Since I've bought the Nook, I've read 3 books. It's definitely addicting. Addicting to the point where I'm thinking of getting the K3 and selling my Nook.

The biggest complaint I have about the Nook is the lack of sync between my Nook and my iPhone. Definitely getting the Kindle w/ whispersync would fix this, as far as I've been able to tell. But it costs extra to use Whispersync to sync the Kindle and iPhone, right? I've never been to clear on the charges (I'm in the US and would be using Wifi only, no 3g). Can anyone answer that for me?

Also, I have a few ePUB books in my library that are DRM free that I'd like to read on the K3. I have Calibre and tested loading them onto my coworker's K2, and it worked flawlessly. However, does anyone know if you can use Whispersync to sync my K3 and Iphone for books loaded through Calibre and not purchased from Amazon?

Thank you for your replies and help! Sorry if the questions above have been answered a milllion times. I've searched as much as I could!

Thanks!
jhkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The charges are only for sending personal documents (say, a Word document or PDF) through Amazon, having them convert it, and even then, you're only charged if its sent back to your Kindle via 3G. If you use Wifi that service is free (and in my limited experience, very awesome).

The syncing of book location between Kindle and iphone or other devices is free as well. But I think that only works for things you buy from Amazon. I don't think "sideloaded" via USB cable will sync. I'm not sure about things Amazon converts for you.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
Whispersync doesn't cost anything, even on 3G. It only works on Amazon-purchased books, however. I'm not sure if you can even load plain .mobi books on the Kindle app on iPhone.

I've actually seen my .mobi books sync when working on a few conversions in Calibre, but that could be a fluke.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I just checked, and personal documents that Amazon has converted don't even show up in my archived items in the Android App. I'm assuming the same is true for the iPhone.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's correct. Whispersync only works for Amazon-purchased content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
jhkaplan

Gotcha. Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful replies! I think I'll be sticking w/ the Nook for now

I really wan't a K3, I guess it's just not meant to be right now. I have too many books to read that are ePub... It's not really worth it to get the K3 without Whispersync working w/ them.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
I really wan't a K3, I guess it's just not meant to be right now. I have too many books to read that are ePub... It's not really worth it to get the K3 without Whispersync working w/ them.
If the ePub books are DRM free, you can still load them to the Kindle via the USB cable after converting them in Calibre, or email them to the Kindle (no charge if you are using wifi). So I'm not sure why the Kindle wouldn't work for you.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
jhkaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
If the ePub books are DRM free, you can still load them to the Kindle via the USB cable after converting them in Calibre, or email them to the Kindle (no charge if you are using wifi). So I'm not sure why the Kindle wouldn't work for you.
Very true. In that respect, it would work just as well as my Nook, with a few more benefits (better screen, lighter, longer battery, etc). It's now just a question of whether or not I want to spend an additional $140 (plus more for a cover) when I already have a Nook and a cover.

Ahhh who am I kidding? I always have to have the latest and greatest, even if the upgrade is not that substantial. I waited in line for an iPhone 4, even though my iPhone 3Gs was plenty good enough. haha. I'll probably break down and buy the K3, but keep my nook to hold me over while I wait for Amazon to ship.