Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #106
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I can't complain about Cleveland, Ohio. I finally got a library card at my new address, and both series I was trying to continue, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and Naomi Novik's Temeraire, were immediately available in my preferred formats (Kindle borrow and audiobook, respectively). I just learned from this thread that Overdrive is based in Cleveland, and going down the rabbit hole, that they've been around since 1986, managing digital content that whole time.

ETA: Both of the above are Random House titles with objectionable-to-absurd ebook pricing, but apparently generous library-lending policies.

Last edited by taosaur; 01-29-2016 at 12:20 AM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #107
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
In many (most?) Australian places, you can join your State ebook library with a local library membership.

I'm in Western Australia. Our State Overdrive library has 26 900 epub, 6097 PDF, 27132 Overdrive Read. Fiction epubs 17 676, Nonfiction epubs 4 726. And 341 audiobooks.
That's interesting, meeera! Our Library doesn't tell us we can do that but perhaps a search of the State library website might be more revealing. Our library (Newcastle REgional Library) uses Borrowbox and I think still another PDF/ePub mob but darned if I know what it's name is. It never had much of interest to me. Borrowbox is a lot better in terms of titles, but not many, about 2500.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #108
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
That's interesting, meeera! Our Library doesn't tell us we can do that but perhaps a search of the State library website might be more revealing. Our library (Newcastle REgional Library) uses Borrowbox and I think still another PDF/ePub mob but darned if I know what it's name is. It never had much of interest to me. Borrowbox is a lot better in terms of titles, but not many, about 2500.
Here is the NSW state library ebook collection login page, if it works for you:

https://login.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/login?url=http://www.slnsw.eblib.com.au/patron/Default.aspx?echo=1&userid=^u

"If you are a current New South Wales public library member you can register for membership of the State Library of New South Wales using your existing public library card as identification.

To access the State Library's eresources, you must:

be a New South Wales resident
be registered as a member of the State Library
agree to the Access conditions below."

I don't know anything about the collection, though. It may not be any good.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote