Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Jakob Nielsen: iPad and Kindle Reading Speeds

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ipad-kindle-reading.html

Quote:
Results: Books Faster Than Tablets

The iPad measured at 6.2% lower reading speed than the printed book, whereas the Kindle measured at 10.7% slower than print. However, the difference between the two devices was not statistically significant because of the data's fairly high variability.
Thus, the only fair conclusion is that we can't say for sure which device offers the fastest reading speed. In any case, the difference would be so small that it wouldn't be a reason to buy one over the other.

But we can say that tablets still haven't beaten the printed book: the difference between Kindle and the book was significant at the p<.01 level, and the difference between iPad and the book was marginally significant at p=.06.

User Satisfaction: iPad Loved, PCs Hated

After using each device, we asked users to rate their satisfaction on a 1–7 scale, with 7 being the best score.
iPad, Kindle, and the printed book all scored fairly high at 5.8, 5.7, and 5.6, respectively. The PC, however, scored an abysmal 3.6.

Most of the users' free-form comments were predictable. For example, they disliked that the iPad was so heavy and that the Kindle featured less-crisp gray-on-gray letters. People also disliked the lack of true pagination and preferred the way the iPad (actually, the iBook app) indicated the amount of text left in a chapter.
Interesting, if small, data sample.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
I can believe that. People in general have more experience with books, so that might factor in. I too do not think speed should even be considered when choosing iPad over Kindle. Probably not much of a difference.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I wonder what kind of optimization they did. Did they keep the font size the same? I read faster on my iPhone and iPad primarily because I can set the font size and margins such that my eye doesn't have to travel as much.

I also found my iPad much easier to hold after I got the Apple case.

Were they reading a large hard back....a small paperback?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I think reading speed might be affected by the click-and-wait. Takes time to get used to that cycle when paging. Also, there is the zoom factor. If you zoom, you might find it an easy read but more click-and-wait.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's never crossed my mind before that the speed at which you can read a book might be considered a benefit of a device. For me, reading has always been something to be savoured and lingered over, not rushed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's never crossed my mind before that the speed at which you can read a book might be considered a benefit of a device. For me, reading has always been something to be savoured and lingered over, not rushed.
I guess the real question is whether the technology in electronics readers (screen quality, refresh, page turn speed etc.) has any impact on the act of reading itself, compared to paper books. Judging the speed people read at is less useful than gauging their perceptions/enjoyment levels of reading from a screen vs. paper, and what can be improved upon.

I'm guessing the speed thing is just one factor they will test towards that goal. It really is only an issue if the speed or lack thereof (due to technical limitations) is perceived as a real negative by users.

Maybe it is cumulative-some users may realize they just aren't getting thru an e-book as easily as they do a paper book, or that it takes more effort, and they decide to go back to paper.

I think its great that someone is doing usability tests though-hopefully the manufacturers will benefit.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
One thing the study confirms my own experience is the difference between reading on an iPad and a computer. I can't stand reading long form on a computer but very much enjoy reading on the iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
One thing the study confirms my own experience is the difference between reading on an iPad and a computer. I can't stand reading long form on a computer but very much enjoy reading on the iPad.

Lee
Have you tried reading on a Tablet PC? I'd be interested to know whether that has the appeal of the iPad, or the dislike of the PC, for you.

For me, the issue with reading on a PC isn't the oft-quoted "eye strain" from the LCD, but simply the fact that the screen is immovable. You need to be able to easily move the "book" around to get comfortable.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I wear glasses, and I'm one of those who hate reading on a PC screen, and my ebook reading was exclusively on a Kindle DX. Before the iPad came out, I tried reading on a tablet (Asus T91MT) and it soon went back into its box. I can't be objective why, except my eyes did not "like" the screen appearance - even after playing with brightness, font, etc. I tried reading on the iPad (both the K4iPad and iBooks apps) and find it very enjoyable. I now use both the DX and iPad for reading - the choice depends on the ambient lighting and the book (photos, illustrations, typeface, etc) - and my eyes do well with both screens. Lately, I've shifted more to the iPad b/c I've found many books display better using the K4iPad app than on the DX.

I have pre-ordered the new DX and can't wait to see the "Pearl" screen - and compare it with the iPad screen.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I'm with Harry on this, I don't even see the point of worrying about speed. Plus there are so many unknown variables in this "study".
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I'm with Harry on this, I don't even see the point of worrying about speed. Plus there are so many unknown variables in this "study".
Sorry, just to clarify - I'm not saying that I think this study isn't useful; just that it hadn't occurred to me that reading speed could be considered a factor a device selection.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm a fast reader anyway, but I've always thought that I read even faster on my Kindle. I have a K1, and the line spacing is slightly greater than the average DTB, and I think that helps. Not to mention the ability to increase the font size to make reading easier for my bad eyes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Hear, Hear.

I wonder what the percentage of comprehension was - like Harry, I read for enjoyment, and I like to absorb the author's words.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
The study seems ok to me, although I'd like to see a bit more research at some point.

They sort of buried the finding that reading comprehension was equivalent across all 4 platforms. I'd be more interested in further research on comprehension rather than speed.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
But they are not saying that. They are saying that your standard speed will be slower on an electronic book compared to a printed book. Which is not surprising because typography influence the speed since good typography will reduce the number of mistakes (e.g. loosing track of a line) you do. And it is the mistakes that reduces the speed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote