Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
nook12
nook12 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
New Nook owner. PDF support sucks!

I have a bunch of school notes in word documents. I would like to get these to show up on my nook so i can read them on-the-go but it won't show up.

I have tried saving to pdf from word itself, I've used print to pdf. I've tried saving as RTF or HTM and converting to epub from calibre (the newest version) but the converion always has an error about a fontconfig file not being found.

The pdf's show up under my library but when i open them, they show up as 8 or 9 page blank documents on my nook but i can easily read them on my computer.

I'm running osx 10.6.3 using latest version of calibre and i have a nook wifi 1.4
nook12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Calibre might help you.
You can try converting your PDF to ePub.
Or I wonder if you can even convert HTML to ePub.

Anyway, you might want to play around with Calibre and see if it helps.

Just a thought,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've experienced something similar. It was an OCR'ed pdf that would show up fine in the Sony 600, but not in the Nook.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
elsuave
elsuave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm still waiting on my Nook to arrive, but using Calibre's viewer as a guide, I have found that the best way to handle slightly more complex PDFs (double column, tables) is to use Acrobat to output to HTML and then use Calibre to convert the HTML into an ePub. There will still be some rough patches (especially if it has figures, etc.), but a quick cleanup of the HTML can be done using a free WYSIWYG editor, getting you acceptable results.
elsuave is offline   Reply With Quote