Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
siroh
siroh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Seeking advice on 1st dedicated ereader

Greetings,
I live in the United States, and am looking to buy a dedicated ereader. I've been waiting for readers with the new 16 level SIPIX touchscreen displays to appear, but it seems I will have to wait indefinitely for one of those.

So, among all the ereaders that are on the market, I am looking for one with an e-ink display, in a 6" size, with a clear readable screen with little to no glare, and a fast refresh time, in a sleek package without a lot of buttons, for approximately $300 or less.

It'd be nice if it had touch controls I can use with a finger, wi-fi sync, folder support of some kind, file search, word search in files, and a user-changeable battery.

I intend to use it to read first and foremost: so wi-fi is not necessary unless I can load files onto it via Calibre on a Mac, Music Playback is unnecessary. An accelerometer is annoying for my purpose unless I can lock the orientation. I don't need a dictionary etc.

Please only suggest ereaders I can actually buy within a month and obtain without much trouble here. I know there are lots of display technologies coming which will make this decision harder at year end, so I want something solid and simple now so I don't regret it later. Please do mention why you like them if you have one. it is almost impossible to tell certain features from most product web pages, such as user changeable battery, refresh rate etc.
siroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds like maybe the Onyx Boox 60/BeBook Neo might be worth taking a look at. It's a bit more than your $300, but does seem to have most/all of your desired features. I don't own one, but HarryT one of our Mods who has a bunch of readers says it's his favorite.

I'm sure there are other sellers in the US, but here's a link to Dulin's. He's also a forum member so you should be able to PM him with questions if need be...

http://www.dulinsbooks.com/index.php...d=655&parent=0
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Pocketbook 301+ or 302. The 301 is just at your price point and the 302 is about $40 over.

I only have the PB360 but it is so customizable and minimalistic that I love it. They all have a minimum of buttons.

I have also read good things about the BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox (same device, different firmware) but have not done business with those companies. A quickie Google shows the Neo to be $300 and the Boox at $330, but I could easily be missing a better deal.

-Marcy

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have the Barnes and Noble Nook and what I like about it is it's great contrast, one of the best if not the best in business. E-pub format supported, styling, color touchscreen navigation (give you a more of a "now" technology as oppposed to the others) displays color book cover art, plus it does have a fun factor to it. Replacable battery, micro sd slot. wireless downloading via wi fi and 3G (this is ne feature that you may not think is all that big of a deal but once you have it and are able to download books in seconds without having to hook it up to your computer pretty much no matter where you are, you'll find yourself you can't go back.

After the v1.3 update the nook is really running nice and smooth, great refresh rate on page turning.
Battery life can be really good when wi fi and 3G off.

I love the instore features, ( read any book for an hour, More inStore (coupons, special deals only for Nook owners, StarBucks Cafe freebies) Free Friday's (every Friday they send out a free book)

In store support, something is wrong or don't understand you bring it in to any Barnes and Noble and you'll get support and if need be will replace right there on the spot. That is a sweet perk.

Love Barnes and Noble as the book platform but also due to the fact it supports e-Pub so you can pretty much shop anywhere including your local library.

Did I mention the styling It really is a gorgous device.

Well anywho that's my 2 cents I think it's a great choice,( I love mine) fits your budget and needs especially with the touchscreen navigation and wi fi and plus right now you can get a Free $50 Gift Card with a Nook purchase.

So $259 + $50 Gift card, pretty sweet.

Good luck

Last edited by boswd; 06-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I just bought a Nook yesterday and I have to agree whole heartedly with boswed. It feels great in your hand, solid with enough weight to feel like a thin book in your hand.

It does indeed come with the $50 Gift Card which is great.....now I have to figure out what to buy.

They did tell me that on Friday, ever Friday, you can download a free book. Its hit or miss, might be something you like, might not......but its free!

Can't think of anything else to add. I think boswed covered it nicely!

Good luck on your quest for a good eReader.
Rowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Just curious but did you read any of the posts in this section of the forum before posting your question?
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
siroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Just curious but did you read any of the posts in this section of the forum before posting your question?
I read the following threads specifically:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49817
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87020
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86431
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86539

I also read everything I could find about the Viewsonic 625, RCA Lexi, Egriver Touch, Jinke A6, and the Kobo ereader in general, on or off this forum. I have played with the new crop of Sony Reader and the Nook, but that's not the same as using one. I only yesterday (on a Russian blog) found out you apparently can't use the Viewsonic with a Mac which pulled it out of my #2 slot and right out of consideration. Likewise, even when I can find a manufacturer page for the US region, user-changeable battery isn't high on their list of advertised features.

After trying to find out refresh rates and not finding release dates for many of them in the US, and just being thoroughly confused, I figured it made more sense to just ask because the endless stream of models shown at CeBit and on gadget blogs is a bit hard to sift through. For example, I only found about a page of links on most readers on Google and few of them were reviews.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siroh View Post
I read the following threads specifically:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49817
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87020
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86431
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86539

I also read everything I could find about the Viewsonic 625, RCA Lexi, Egriver Touch, Jinke A6, and the Kobo ereader in general, on or off this forum. I have played with the new crop of Sony Reader and the Nook, but that's not the same as using one. I only yesterday (on a Russian blog) found out you apparently can't use the Viewsonic with a Mac which pulled it out of my #2 slot and right out of consideration. Likewise, even when I can find a manufacturer page for the US region, user-changeable battery isn't high on their list of advertised features.

After trying to find out refresh rates and not finding release dates for many of them in the US, and just being thoroughly confused, I figured it made more sense to just ask because the endless stream of models shown at CeBit and on gadget blogs is a bit hard to sift through. For example, I only found about a page of links on most readers on Google and few of them were reviews.

In terms of reviews on the Nook anything pre april 23 I would take with a grain of salt. This was a rush to public product that had software issues but they had 3 series of upgrades and fixes. The fixes and enhanced performance and such have really put this one near the top ( on top IMHO)

Some reviewers such as Cnet, Mobile Tech review, About.com etc have gone back and did a second review and the verdict is they love it now.

Well good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The PocketBook 301+ appears to fit your requirements exactly. I have one and absolutely love it. No glare, very light (way lighter than a Nook), and it's very fast. And, it's in your price range. Oh, the PB 301+ also comes with a carrying case.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I read the following...

Ok, that' a great start. I think that sometimes people can investigate to much and get confused with all the opinions out there. The only opinion that really counts is yours. X may have a better refresh rate than Y on paper but how does it work in your hands? I think you should try to handle and use as many of these readers as you can. I was all set to buy a Nook. It's a fine e-reader with a huge following. When I went to the store and actually played with it for awhile, I didn't like it. There is nothing wrong with it but it somehow didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling I thought it should.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
siroh

I went with the Nook. The PocketBook 302 was really attractive for not much more money when you consider everything it comes with this month, but I think I'll get further having physical service locations available if something does go wrong. Also, the less I spend now, the more I can spend later when something whiz bang hits the market next year right? I'm going to try a test drive extended reading session through the weekend.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Welcome to eReading! I hope you enjoy your Nook.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
stargazertony
Connoisseur

Congratulations on your Nook. I'm sure you're going to love it.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I went with the Nook. The PocketBook 302 was really attractive for not much more money when you consider everything it comes with this month, but I think I'll get further having physical service locations available if something does go wrong. Also, the less I spend now, the more I can spend later when something whiz bang hits the market next year right? I'm going to try a test drive extended reading session through the weekend.
congratulations, it's a great device.

Lets us know if you have any questions