Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Ezrem
Ezrem began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, nook
What's up with RTF -> ePub?

I have a bunch of RTF files that I want to convert to ePub for reading on my iPod Touch and potentially nook, if it ever ships.

I ran them through Calibre and when I open them on my iPod Touch (takes a LONG time) I get a weird document with a bunch of blank pages, which appears to have a LOT of text on the first page (if you make the font size very small, it shows more text than with a large font, but the following pages are still blank).

If I save my RTFs as PDF's, and THEN convert to ePub, I have no issues whatsoever. Everything flows great and they open very quickly - like a couple of seconds, compared with 15-30 when opening the RTF->ePub files.
Ezrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Yes, I have seen the same issue on my iPhone. I stopped seeing the issue after opening my RTF->ePubs in Sigil for editing though-not sure what changes.

In the meantime, you might want to go RTF->HTML->ePub btw-going to PDF might add more problems.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can't say without access to the RTF file. Open a ticket and attach an RTF
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Ezrem
Ezrem began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yes, I have seen the same issue on my iPhone. I stopped seeing the issue after opening my RTF->ePubs in Sigil for editing though-not sure what changes.

In the meantime, you might want to go RTF->HTML->ePub btw-going to PDF might add more problems.
HTML -> ePub was giving me performance issues. PDF -> ePub really runs well, oddly enough. I have noticed, however, that double L's are being replaced with spaces - "erratically" becomes "erratical y". It only seems to be the letter L.

I'll see about creating a ticket tonight. I may also try copying the RTF into a blank TXT and then going to ePub from that. If I just copy the text into Sigil and save as ePub, that works fine. It's just not as automated as I'd like.
Ezrem is offline   Reply With Quote