Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of two tier voting?
Yes 14 51.85%
No 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Two Tier Voting

Are you in favor of two tier voting?

The two tier system would mean the every month we have two polls to vote on instead of one. The first vote would determine which two books got the highest number of votes. The second would determine the winner between the two.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I think two-tier voting is somewhat cumbersome. In addition, it would give us less time to do what book clubs actually do: read books. I think the concept in unnecessary.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-30-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I like the idea, especially for close votes--if six choices got 13, 12, 8, 5, 3, and 3 votes, giving the month to the one that got 13 means an awful lot of people who voted against the month's choice. This could be why club participation isn't as active as it could be--if the winner is not most people's second choice, it doesn't get much conversation.

A tiered vote does cut into reading/discussing time, but it also would allow the final vote to be 18/26, with the majority going to the one that originally got only 12 votes. And it means that voters would at least have thought about the one that wins, rather than voting only for their favorite, noticing it didn't win, and ignoring the rest of the process. A 2-tier vote is an opportunity to get more people interested in those two books.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The pros for tiered:

-We will always have a selection that the majority (50%+) wants to read. As it is now, we usually get a selection that about 15% of the group want to read, and the rest choose whether to go along with it or not (which has lead to some small discussion threads).

-Tiered voting may lead to more members reading the selected book and discussing it (which is what the club is all about), since more people will have voted for the winner.

-During the first round of voting, everyone can always vote their heart, since they will still have a chance to choose between the top two candidates in the final poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Personally, I think two-tier voting is somewhat cumbersome. In addition, it would give us less time to do what book clubs actually do: read books. I think the concept in unnecessary.
I do understand your cumbersome remark.

However, it doesn't have to give us less time to read. We could have two shorter polls rather than the one long one we have now. Now, we get most votes in the first few days of voting anyway, and only a few at the end. With two shorter polls we could end around the same time as before, giving us the same amount of time to read as now.

Or, if we want to keep longer polls, we could start the polls earlier to still have the final one end around the same time as now, also still giving us the same amount of time to read as now.

So, I don't believe having less time to read is an issue.

Even with all that said though, I'm happy with either way the poll goes. I am glad though that the issue will be finally resolved.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-30-2011 at 12:54 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I voted "yes", but I don't want to prolong the overall voting time. Cut a couple of days off the the original poll (I think it's longer than it needs to be anyway) to allow for a quick second vote.
Maybe it's something we could try for a few of next years months and see how we like it?

It's not a big deal for me though. Either way is fine!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I believe the run-off vote will increase participation in the eventual discussion.

P.S. - Getting all of this settled now - and not re-visiting it for a year - is smart, even if it feels beaten to death at the moment.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 11-30-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I voted yes, as it gives us a second bite at the cherry, so to speak.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted no. I'd rather see a multi-select vote which might more accurately depict which books people would want to read and discuss. There's usually two or three options I end up putting on my potential reads list, but only twice has a book in my top two or three for the month have actually won.

But given that we might not have the ability for multi-option polls, then I vote to leave it the way it is.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Sun surfer summed up the pros and cons nicely. I voted for a tiered system because it would mean the book would be selected by a majority, not potentially a small plurality.

I am getting less and less interested in all of this though.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been torn on this. I'm in favor of any method that gets more people behind a nominee they're willing to read and discuss. But I'm sick to death of the process which is increasingly convoluted and contentious. So I'm surprising myself by voting with my heart instead of my head and saying No.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd rather see a multi-select vote which might more accurately depict which books people would want to read and discuss.
Since multi-select votes aren't possible with the forum software, your next-best choice was the two-tiered voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Sun surfer summed up the pros and cons nicely. I voted for a tiered system because it would mean the book would be selected by a majority, not potentially a small plurality.
To illustrate the point, last month's winner, A Canticle for Leibowitz, won with 12/71 votes, or 17%. For the 83% who didn't vote for Canticle, two-tier voting would have given them a run-off vote between Canticle & Hyperion. Hyperion might well have won. It's not perfect, but it's an improvement. More people will be happier with the winning book.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm happy with either choice. Both have merit.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Since multi-select votes aren't possible with the forum software, your next-best choice was the two-tiered voting.
Perhaps, but the last two months don't indicate any advantage yet. In November the three books I would have read in a heartbeat finished 3rd, tied for 5th and 9th. In December the three books I would have read finishedy 3rd, tied for 5th and tied for 5th. In both those months I had little interest in either of the two front runners.

I am with issybird on this one in that I'm just tired of the process.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Multi-select is available in the current state. See here for an example. On this forum.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I have not decided how I am going to vote as yet. I am still weighing the pros and cons.
I am happy, though, that the category selection and veiwing issues have been resolved.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote