Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Svankensen
Svankensen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Websocket on a K3 - is it possible?

Hello fellas. Im a bih fan of Dungeon Crawl Stone soup, and it has a web based server (crawl.s-z.org,among others) that only requires websocket to play. this particular game is specially well suited for the kindle: Turn based, lacks animation, and all the important commands, including movement, can be executed using only letters. So i was wondering if theres a way to make my kindle capable of handling Websocket, so that i can play this game on the move.
Svankensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I highly doubt it. Alternative browsers might be an option, but then I guess they typically don't implement Websockets either. Sorry.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://packages.debian.org/jessie/websockify

you would need an older version of the arm stuff though (There was an older repo somewhere)

Or to get that rebuilt for the 3.

And finally: I have NO idea if that would work. But there you go, threw it in the mix
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, that would be a library that implements Websockets. Svankensen searches a full fledged browser application, and I guess Firefox, Chromium/Chrome and Opera are the only ones implementing them. Oh, and Internet Explorer 10, of course. And Safari. *Cough*
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah. sorry "WebSockets support for any application/server" misled me.
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Svankensen
Svankensen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
oh well, it seems im out of luck. Thanks for the quick answers anyway, it speaks good about the community. Is K3 development still active? I'd love to see my desire fullfiled at some point. i know theres a telnet version of the game, but i cant bear my character being an @. Wich is weird,because i dont have any problems with the ASCII graphics of Dwarf Fortress. I guess getting a telnet client would be worth a try, im sure someone made one for the Kindle already. I havent used telnet since the BBS times tho, so i'll have to relearn the stuff to even give it a try.
Svankensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard

There either is a SSH/Telnet Kindlet, but my suggestion is "myts", a terminal emulator. A telnet binary should be installed on the Kindle ready for use already (or does it come with the USB networking hack?).

K3 development is - AFAICS - still active to *some* degree. Truth be told, development overall isn't *that* overwhelming. You only see new software of some greater proportions once in a while. But that's about the same for K3/K4/K5. I wouldn't consider the K3 as dead, yet.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
USBNet bundles a telnet server, but I don't remember if there's a client in amazon's stuff. If need be, it should be pretty trivial to build.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard

/me scratches his head...
Funny, I thought there was one. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
twobob

Paperwhite:

[root@kindle root]# chromium-browser --temp-profile http://google.com

Quote:
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser)

[10607:10607:24768629928:FATAL:chrome/browser/zygote_host_linux.cc(123)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox is mode 4755 and owned by root.
Aborted
I'll have more of a fiddle at some point. "mode 4755" might be tricky on FAT.

I couldn't find a decent port to armv6 that wasn't android related.
I did find a raft of building for arm examples but didn't dig into whether there was a Framebuffer version.

Spoiler:
EDIT: Tried it on rootfs for the heck of it.

[root@kindle root]# ls -al /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox

Quote:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10984 Aug 7 12:44 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox

[root@kindle root]# stat -c "%a %n" /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-s
andbox

Quote:
755 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox
huh? *scratches head*
I'll think more on that at some point

EDIT: DOH! Forget the setuid bit.

Let me see if I can get this thing to a screenshottable state.

GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE="/mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/armv7l/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache" chromium-browser --temp-profile http://google.com

Yeah so with a bit of love (and more skills than me) That could probably be made usable

Seems like the only error left is:

Quote:
*** glibc detected *** /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/CacheSizeGroup_0/
ConnCountImpact/_conn_count_7/DnsImpact/_default_enabled_prefetch/GlobalSdch/_global_enable_sdch/
IdleSktToImpact/_idle_timeout_10/SpdyImpact/_npn_with_spdy/ --user-data-dir=/tmp/tmp.Z8fARr --channel=12380.0x2b9dfc78.350096601: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x2ba0e1d8 ***
Which no doubt baf could fix but is a bit beyond me.

Anyways. break over.

The "fail AW SNAP!" errors seems related to the javascript stuff.
http://nodejs.org/

I pictured a javascript free site that loaded just fine.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_509.png
Views:	216
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	109052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_508.png
Views:	203
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	109053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_507.png
Views:	214
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	109054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_506.png
Views:	194
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	109055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_510.png
Views:	185
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	109056  

Last edited by twobob; 08-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
K3 development is - AFAICS - still active to *some* degree.

Truth be told, development overall isn't *that* overwhelming.

You only see new software of some greater proportions once in a while.
But that's about the same for K3/K4/K5.

I wouldn't consider the K3 as dead, yet.
The only device that is close to "dead" here is the K1. Using a TI OMAP processor with very limited memory.
Early in the KUAL project, the members then decided not to support the K1.

The K2/DX/K3/K4/K5(both) are still "supported" here.

The hard keyboard devices (K2/DX/K3) will probably always see some new development activity. They fill a need (for a device with a hard keyboard) that the other devices do not.

The K2 dates back to a time when development activity was still in its early stages. But it is not forgotten about here.
The members of the KUAL project do have K2 devices and stuff still gets tested on the K2.

In particular, the DX (and DXG) may live on forever. They where built like a rock and the large screen device is still popular.
(Manufacturers other than Amazon are still introducing e-ink devices with that screen size.)

The K3 device saw a lot of development activity.
It marked a point in Amazon's own device development also.
And as the last of the hard keyboard devices, there are a lot of people who are not about to give them up until they are completely worn out (myself included ).

The K4 device, designed and built to reach the very lowest price range in the market place, is also difficult to service and develop for.
But the challenge to make new applications for the "cheapest possible device" still attracts new development.

For the touch devices - Both of them called a "K5" here - -
Those where introduced during a high point in development activity.
They also may be the last of the Amazon e-ink devices.

They share the same SoC (system on a chip) device and very similar firmware.
The K5-Paperwhite introduced the new front lighted screen.
It also dropped support for audio.

The K5-Touch and earlier Kindles had support for audio.
All except the paperwhite can be speaker independent, voice controlled.
(Note: The VAGUE release was only built for the K5-Touch but it can be built for the earlier devices also.)
That project, which adds voice recognition control to an e-book reader, sort of fell on deaf ears here but was well received in the voice recognition control community.

The K5-Touch and earlier Kindles support TTS (Text To Speech) or can support TTS.

Which makes the K5-Touch, with MR add-on packages, at the moment the only e-book reader that can be used by the blind. Even if they are also paralyzed.
Readers should say: "Thanks Mobile Read developers" for that accomplishment.

One more brag on that subject:
Amazon purchased an entire voice recognition company, and still hasn't introduced a voice controlled e-book reader. Twobob did it with only open source software and the help of the open source software, voice recognition, community.

I don't think we can honestly call any of the models "dead" (other than the K1).
They all fill specific needs and have a lot of owners each.

Last edited by knc1; 08-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
hawhill
Wizard

twobob: awesome! I have my doubts regarding memory consumption, but this is great!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
twobob

Quote:
twobob: awesome! I have my doubts regarding memory consumption, but this is great!
Thanks.

Just mangled out of debian armel, then hand-massaged until the damn thing gave in and ran.

KNC1's previous assistance with the kual-system stuff made it FAR easier than it might have been.

EDIT: Oh... and the reason I chose chrome was seemingly it is the best option for memory consumption. FAR better than firefox / iceweasel and the other on the top list.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Just doing my job as embedded cheerleader.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Recently a change went into the Linux kernel to support greater than 44 bit addressing (16Tbytes), it now supports 46 bit addressing.

Time to warm up the soldering gun and add more RAM to the kindles.