Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #46
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Stephen King's The Stand, and close second is the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #47
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Jane Eyre, never read it before this year. It is an amazing work, and my favorite read of the year.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Wool Omnibus. No second places if I limit myself to 2012 releases.

Although an older book, my favorite read of the year was Noah Gordon's The Physician.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

Me too!

This a great, extremely well researched and written bio of a great inventor and visionary business leader, warts and all.

I happen not to have any Apple products because I can't accept their "walled garden" restrictions, but that doesn't lessen my appreciation of Jobs contribution. His impact and Apple's huge global following cannot be denied.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Not counting rereads, which actually formed the bulk of my 2012 reading, my picks are Frank: The Voice by James Kaplan for nonfiction, and Dare Me by Megan Abbott for fiction.

Frank is a biography of Frank Sinatra, covering the ups and downs of his life and career until his Oscar win for From Here to Eternity. Kaplan presents a well-rounded portrait of a complex person, and I'm looking forward to the second volume.

Dare Me is a noir tale set in the world of high school cheerleaders. The story is an irresistible mix of competition and friendship and jealousy and murder. Abbott is a fascinating and artful writer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #51
charmstr
charmstr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I spent a good part of this year reading Edmund Morris' thee-volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex, and Colonel Roosevelt. I had been meaning to read them for some time. I was very impressed, both with the books and with the man whose life they covered. I had never understood why his face appeared on Mount Rushmore. These books make the reasons clear.

The piece of fiction I most enjoyed this year was Kraken by China Miéville. I loved this book. It's what fantasy can be but so rarely succeeds in being. Funny, original, and with a wonderful lack of all the stuff I hate.
charmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #52
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmstr View Post
The piece of fiction I most enjoyed this year was Kraken by China Miéville. I loved this book. It's what fantasy can be but so rarely succeeds in being. Funny, original, and with a wonderful lack of all the stuff I hate.
Sounds pretty good. I'll have to put that on my reading list. I've always meant to read some of his stuff.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Sounds pretty good. I'll have to put that on my reading list. I've always meant to read some of his stuff.
I've tried a few times, not my style I guess.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Just got this one. Can't wait to read it.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
For Real Stuff (non-fiction) No Easy Day.. awesome.. for fake stuff (fiction) The Racketeer... first fiction book I have read in 20 yrs.. still adjusting, but the Racketeer was good.. A+... when reading fiction I always think about what kinda pot was this author smoking.. I may want some of the same.. LOL
DG

Last edited by GadgetMan; 12-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
Moët
Nameless Being

I'd have to say that Jack Of Diamonds by Bryce Courtenay was my number one 2012 release / new read. It's almost a door-stopper, and not in the sort of genre that I'd usually pursue -- but I had promised myself to step out of my literary comfort zone this year, and it resulted in discovering this, which was several leagues ahead of everything else that I read. I highly recommend it. It follows the life of a depression-era boy who loves jazz.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #57
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Yep, definitely a great book. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's my favourite for this year (in fact, I couldn't say which one it is), but it's indeed a great book.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #58
regstuff
regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC, Kindle Paperwhite
For light stuff, it's A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.
For more serious stuff it's A Tree Can Save The World by Sadhguru.
In fiction it's The City And The Stars by Arthur C Clarke
In History it's The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor
And in Adventure it's Man-eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett

Last edited by regstuff; 12-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
regstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #59
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My favorite book I read this year would be either the Wool Omnibus, or The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #60
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
11/22/63 by Stephen King, LOVED that book.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote