Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Ben
Edge User

Having an issue with a protected ebook...

for school I can download a PDF version of the ebook, but when I click it on the ee it seems to lock up my e-ink side... Im certain it has something to do with the username and password being my school email address. Can anyone point me in a direction for fix this, otherwise my wife is going to give me the "i told you so" about getting a tablet...

=)

Ben

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I've had lock ups on the Reader for 2 free EPUBs. I forwarded them to Tech Support some months ago and haven't received a response. I can only surmise that some content in the EPUBs trips up the software, causing it to "hang".

I recommend you submit a Help Request ticket at www.entourageedge.com/support and see what they say in the case of your PDF.

Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

When you download it to your PC do you have to unlock it with your username and password each time you read it? Does it open with Adobe Reader or Adobe Digital Editions? If you only unlock it once and it opens with Adobe Reader then try opening it on the PC first and transferring it to the Edge after you have unlocked it.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've had lock ups on the Reader for 2 free EPUBs. I forwarded them to Tech Support some months ago and haven't received a response. I can only surmise that some content in the EPUBs trips up the software, causing it to "hang".

I recommend you submit a Help Request ticket at www.entourageedge.com/support and see what they say in the case of your PDF.
Still no response? That seems somewhat out of character for enTourage support. Have you tried to resubmit or otherwise follow up?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

I checked and the issue was closed the same day I submitted it, with the comment "Forwarded to engineering". The two EPUBs in question were some incidental Dickens novels or something that I never actually intended to read (but I do like to hoard classics, just in case!).

Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Ben
Edge User

I tried to unlock it on the pc then move it over and it still wants me to enter a username and password... i finally got the PDF to open after pulling my SD card and formatting it then dropped all of my documents back on it. but i get an IO error trying to add it to the library but at least the file came up on the reader side... now the other question... there isnt a keyboard or anything that I have found that lets you type on the reader side... is there... or am i just missing that...

Thanks again

ben

Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
there isnt a keyboard or anything that I have found that lets you type on the reader side... is there... or am i just missing that...
There's no support for typing annotations or in the Journal. The Journal app actually does have code to allow typing, but it's been disabled by enTourage because of issues with word wrap (or so they told me a year ago).

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
fattyLeo
Edge User

I have posted similar question to support. It is because I found that I cannot open the pdf e-books in tablet side which purchased from entourage web site. It is no problem to open it on e-ink side.

The support answered me that the pocket edge cannot view the password protect e-book in tablet side due to DRM.
Actually, I don't know what is DRM. I Just confirmed that users able to read unprotected pdf files in tablet side only.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyLeo View Post
Actually, I don't know what is DRM
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It's a method whereby publishers encrypt their ebooks so that only the person that purchased them can read them, and limits on how many devices you can read that ebook. The goal is to prevent people from freely copying and distributing ebooks (i.e. the publisher receives no money).

Because of the encryption, you need special reader software that is able to authenticate you and the ebook and decrypt the ebook so that you can read it.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Ben
Edge User

i found a way to work around the DRM issue i was having and I have been able to load my document, however I am not sure if the process would be appropriate to post in this open forum ill just say that it involves a Microsoft product and an Adobe product and took alot of time.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
fattyLeo
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It's a method whereby publishers encrypt their ebooks so that only the person that purchased them can read them, and limits on how many devices you can read that ebook. .... .
Thank you, borisb
I think the default pdf viewer of tablet side (doc to go) doesn't support this DRM feature. I also believe that Entourage WILL NOT provide this feature in tablet side.
But from PE users' point of view, this is too small to view a whole page in the 6" e-ink side. The pan & zoom function cannot be worked smoothly; and pdf-reflow cannot show all pictures in the page.

I just able to capture the e-book pages from e-ink side to tablet 1-by-1 for reading.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
cheyennedonna
Edge User

There are solutions - just Google