Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
rogersgeorge
Edge User

cannot download protected ebook from the library

Maybe this should be a feature request, to be able to download protected ebooks. It's an Adobe ePub book. My library site lets you download a 1.8K file that downloads the actual book (extension is .acsm). I can do it on my PC. However, when I attempt to download from my edge, it won't work. I can find the file in my download directory; when I click (from the reader) to open the book, it says it's a protected book, do I want to add it to my library. If I say no, it stops. If I choose Yes, it attempts to download, then I get an error message: E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN: <HTM
I can open it as a text file, but it's all tags and codes.

What might I be doing wrong, or do I have to wait for an update?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

You'll have to wait for an update, I think. As a rule, ebooks from sources other than the enTourage eBook/eTextbook store have to be downloaded using Adobe Digital Editions on your PC, then transferred ("side loaded") to your eDGe.

Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Filark
Edge User

Hi RogersGeorge!

If you haven't already, you may wish to read Boris's comprehensive post about downloading/sideloading/importing books, found here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...p?1115-E-Books as well as his 3 Welcome Basket posts in the General Forum. But perhaps you've already done that.

D'oh! I see you've been around this forum since at least July, 2010, so I'm sure you know your way! However, I think I will leave this post for other lurkers like me who are considering getting an eDGe and might be horrified to think they can't download library books.

All the best,
Filark

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
ripterr
Edge User

Actually, protected epub books can be downloaded directly to the PE using the Overdrive app. My local library's website had the link for installing Overdrive. For initial setup, you do have to install Overdrive on a PC, but once the app is installed on the PE, use of a PC is not required.
I add books regularly by clicking on the "Get New Books" link in the Overdrive program, which takes me to one of the libraries links that I have added to my favorite library list (note: you do have to have an account at that library). I currently browse and add books from 4 libraries. When I select a book and add it to my cart, I can then click the download link on the PE and directly download and open the book on the PE. I do not need to download the books to my PC. The process is very simple through my libraries....if I am on a waiting list for a particular book, I receive and e-mail when the book is ready for me, and can download the book to the PE by clicking on the e-mail link. Couldn't be any easier!
In addition to new-release books, each library also has a large inventory of non-protected books that can also be downloaded.
I would suggest taking a look at your local library's website to see their process for getting e-books.
Here is the link to the Ohio Library Consortium which discribes the process and may have some answers to your questions;
http://ohdbks.lib.overdrive.com/A234...en/Default.htm

Last edited by ripterr; 02-16-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added link

Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Thanks, ripterr. I've linked to your post in my E-Books post mentioned by Filark.

Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've linked to your post in my E-Books post mentioned by Filark.
Maybe it's just me, but the more I read this sentence the funnier it sounds.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Dr. T
Edge User

Agreed!!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

I don't get it? Is it the sentence construction, or the presence of member names?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

The latter... It just sounds a bit like a line from Star Trek.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
The latter... It just sounds a bit like a line from Star Trek.
Exactly.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

You should also read this thread. Using Overdrive is great unless you want to read your library books on the e-ink screen. The easiest way to do this is to connect your eDGe to your computer, download the files to the computer, then open them using Adobe Digital Editions. You can then easily drag the files from the All Items listing to your eDGe (once your eDGe is connected, it should show up in the left-hand navigation) and open them. You can also use a flash drive to copy the EPUB files from computer to eDGe, but this can be tricky.