Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Sigil packages for Debian (without embedded Qt)

Hi everyone,

I have built Sigil packages for Debian/unstable *without* included QT libs, as those are already available in Debian sid. Thus, for those interested in Debian/sid packages, here they are, including source packages for those who want to rebuild them on different architectures:

Code:
deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/ sigil/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/ sigil/
The packages and release are sign with my official Debian key 0x860CDC13

Enjoy, and let me know if there are any problems.

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo
Mange tusen takk. Will try with testing.
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
haylocki
haylocki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Big Thank you!

Can't believe this still isn't available in the Debian repositories.

Cheers, Ian
haylocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

The problem with uploading to Debian is that Sigil contains non-free files. That is the main blocker. See the ITP bug report https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=590180
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is it still up? Or do I have something to learn about the Siduction form of sources.list.d
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, it is still up. But it has sigil 7.4, while Sigil has released v8.1 already, with a major new feature -- plugins.

Until debian can get their collective... indignance... out of their system, it is not incredibly difficult to install from here: https://github.com/user-none/Sigil/b...iling-on-linux

You will need to have installed
  • Qt>=5.3.0
  • cmake>=3.0

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-27-2014 at 09:18 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If someone from Debian were to contact me about any licensing issues I'd be happy to discuss them with them...

Honestly I'm not willing to read though a 184 comment message list to figure out what they don't like. I've made changes in the past to accommodate various Linux distros and I'm still willing to do so if they contact me about it.

Honestly it really pisses me off that Distros like Debian and Fedora (Yes I'm calling out the two biggest offenders) just maintain their own patch sets and _NEVER_ even make the upstream project aware of them. It literally took a third party to point me to the patches and help me get a number of them integrated for Fedora and Debian in the past.

This is why I refuse to support (building and running is supported but I mean as far as providing help) for Linux. Linux packagers (I work on multiple projects including Sigil) never communicate with upstream and are often hostile uncommunicative when upstream tries to reach out to them to resolve any issues they may have. I simple have no desire to waste my time or effort reaching out to every distro to see if they have any issues or complaints. If they have an issue they know how to reach me and we can talk about it. But they don't.

The only issue brought up was quite a while ago and it was over the embedding of the xsd schema files. That Debian person said they'd take care of getting permissions to embed the files. They never got back to me about it. If that's still the issue, with the new plugin interface we can decouple FlightCrew and make it a plugin for the next minor release. We are planning on doing this anyway in the future but we can bump it up if need be. There will be a new validation app that isn't as strict (think more like what calibre does) and supports EPUB 3 we plan (there is a beta plugin right now) that we are currently working on to replace FlightCrew.

So... Tell me what's wrong and I can look into resolving the issue. But not communicating with upstream won't get any changes downstream.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Archlinux wins my vote for most sensible distro.

They don't really care about debian's licensing fetish and the like, and believe everything is supposed to be fixed upstream. Sigil is always up to date and easily available, and it all Just Works.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Here are my thoughts and feelings on the matter.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

@user_none,

I see after four and a half years, your kdocker bug finally reached the inportant milestone of "confirmed" -- a second person confirmed a few weeks ago that they have this problem too.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
norbusan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Here are my thoughts and feelings on the matter.
BTW, we have uploaded Sigil to Debian, and it is now in the NEW queue. The new maintainer and me (the uploader) really hope that we can get a good cooperation with you for further changes.

Thanks

Norbert
Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Which version of Qt will this be linked against? Qt less than 5.3 have significant bugs and there have been code changes in toStdString and fromStdString that assumes utf-8 as source/destination encoding that was not supported in earler versions. That is why Sigil's minimum requirement is Qt 5.4. In addition, which version of Sigil are you building. Sigil 0.8.4 has many fixes for crashes that existed in all earlier versions. FYI: a Sigil 0.8.5 should be released soon with additional crash/bug fixes.

Please note: Sigil master is undergoing heavy development to create an epub3 and epub2 editor, and should not be used as the basis for any release.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

@KevinH
https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/si...fsg-1.html#dsc

build-dep: qtbase5-dev (>=5.4.0)

@norbusan
Oh, by the way, it lists the homepage as the old Googlecode page... whoops, haven't checked that recently have you.

I am sure user_none, ,as well as any active contributors like KevinH, would be delighted to cooperate. After all, they keep being all <sadface> that no one ever wanted to talk with them.

Is there any particular reason why it looks like only an x86_64 version was created? Or maybe I am just blind...

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-29-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
norbusan
Zealot

Hi all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
build-dep: qtbase5-dev (>=5.4.0)
Plus, it is version 0.8.4.

Quote:
Oh, by the way, it lists the homepage as the old Googlecode page... whoops, haven't checked that recently have you.
Then please fix it in the git repo!

Quote:
Is there any particular reason why it looks like only an x86_64 version was created? Or maybe I am just blind...
Because it is in NEW, the x86_64 version is the one I uploaded. As long as it has not entered experimental, the auto-builders will not do their work.

All the best

Norbert
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I shall allow you to fix the homepage link, as I don't use a debian-based distro and haven't got a clue how to do so.
I could undoubtedly figure it out easily enough, but frankly why bother when you can do so instead, it isn't like I will be using the information a lot...

That would also explain why I was confused by the "lack" of an x86 package.
In ArchLinux, the PKGBUILD file does all the work, and includes an "arch" array of supported architectures. Whatever instructions (like this) are given, that is what the ArchLinux auto-builds make.
It isn't very fancy, I'm afraid.