Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #46
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet with various ereading aps. I seldom use it for reading. Maybe because combination of size, cost, weight, and battery life. I have one book that is PDF format computer book and could read it using Sony T1 or Kobo reader but prefer using the tablet. Probably because of faster response and reading book at computer desk minimize problems with size, cost, weight, and battery life. I still consider Sony T1 my best eink reader for pdf books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 AM   #47
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I feel the same way really I prefer my tablet lately but I think eink definitely has it's place with regard to battery life and hopefully soon price.

For the future if anyones seen the clear solarcell layer they can put on glass now I think it would go brilliantly with eink, To me I can see a future where eink devices will never need to be charged and that's a really big advantage for books.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #48
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
For the future if anyones seen the clear solarcell layer they can put on glass now I think it would go brilliantly with eink, To me I can see a future where eink devices will never need to be charged and that's a really big advantage for books.
Here, here! Solar-powered eBooks seem like they could be a very likely possibility due to their low power consumption. What a great thing that would be - never have to plug it in.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #49
dip166
dip166 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW2
One of the things I like about an e-reader is exactly the fact that it serves only one purpose and, of course, the e-ink technology. I own a Sony PRS-T1 and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to update to a new version is that it's the only one with audio function. That being said, I wouldn't use it for music (not enough available space anyway) but more for audio books.

For instance, on a PC we have all sorts of files and it gets easily messed up... On a dedicate device, not only you will use all the free space on just one subject (i.e. books or music or games), it also gets much more well organized and the menus, storage, etc. more personalized to serve a single purpose.

Still, one function I would like to have integrated is one of electronic dictionary (instead of buying that one separately) and being able to purchase software, personalize menus, install and uninstall applications, etc.
I don't mind having to plug it, because I always do to transfer files from the PC and it rarely needs charging anyway.
I would like a color e-ink though, for maybe reading magazines, texts with pictures and graphics and I know some people read their comics as well. Not an easy feature to achieve, it seems.
dip166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #50
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That's why I've hung onto my T1 and haven't upgraded to a later Sony.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #51
zossi
zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Sony T1
I still use my T1 because it makes me feel cool and old school.
zossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #52
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
T1 isn't old school, it's made of plastic and rubber for god's sake.

PRS x50 are old school. Metal body, built in stylus, metal line style buttons and cavity holes for cover.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #53
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
T1 isn't old school, it's made of plastic and rubber for god's sake.

PRS x50 are old school. Metal body, built in stylus, metal line style buttons and cavity holes for cover.
And in my opinion, the best e-Reader ever made. My GalaxyTab is a redundant gadget, but my 650 is a neccesity.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #54
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
OP, your posts seem to always be deliberately provocative and controversial. I've stumbled upon some of your impolite and offensive remarks in other discussions and have come across one of your threads (I'm pretty sure you know of which I'm referring to) and I've been wondering if you're not trolling.

Anyway, I don't understand you're reasoning behind ereaders being "so 2011". I have both a tablet and an ereader but I always read books on the ereader. I can give you a lot of reasons but the main ones are: light, battery life, eInk (no glare, looks like real text on paper), not distracting, etc. Tablets are hard on the eyes and I get eyestrain after long periods, too distracting, needs charging every other day, heavy, etc. And that's why I never use my tablet for reading fiction.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #55
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
I'm not sure if my T3S is not redundant because until now I read more on my mobile phone than on an ebook reader. But this is more due to bad organisation when I leave home without it, being forced to read on the phone.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #56
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I just think it's nicer to use a reader because it's the nearest thing to a real book! So much better than that piddly 'phone screen that can't be read outdoors, and hastens onset of early macular malfunction ............

[ PS .. that's if macular is the right word .... but I'm sure you know what I mean.... ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #57
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Here's another reason, which is particularly relevant when on holiday or in a new place:

When's the last time you heard of someone stealing an eReader? I mean, it **could** happen, but they're not exactly top of the resale list for opportunistic thieves. Some of them may not even know what they are!

But I'm sure you've heard stories of people's iPhones, iPads, Android devices going "missing" or being stolen...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #58
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The OP speaks as if a backlight is a plus. It's not for me. To repeat what others have said: The Reader has incredible battery life compared to phones/tablets (no charger needed for an entire vacation), it's easier on the eyes than an active display, looks fine in daylight, can read in the dark with any simple cheap booklight, it doesn't "intrude" with email, apps, etc., acts like a real book in terms of legibility, easy to load it up with years' worth of good books (so no wifi/internet needed), easy to bookmark, etc.

I do think the T1 and beyond (ith the android-based os) was a step backwards. My T1 periodically freezes--a common problem that seems to be unsolved still--and the extra bells and whistles are unnecessary. I think Sony hit the high point with the 350/650. So I got another 350. I have a Kindle Fire for email, browsing websites, playing some games, etc. but would never want to read entire books on it. And it has to be recharged constantly.

So when it comes to reading books, an e-ink reader is the #1 choice for me.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote