Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Sony's unannounced Reader PRS-T3 leaks out at the FCC

Sony's unannounced Reader PRS-T3 leaks out at the FCC.

Not much information, but Sony is still making ereaders.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Digital Reader blog links to photos, front and back.
It looks more tablet-like but keeps the funky plastic buttons.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...n-fcc-website/

The FCC sems to think it has an LCD screen.
(Page 26, here: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=2000836)

Now *that* would be interesting.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-26-2013 at 04:35 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
please, no LCD screen....
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I'll buy if it has an HD e-ink screen and front lighting. If it doesn't then I have to wonder why Sony have bothered to release it.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
please, no LCD screen....
I hope it'll be LCD, at least for the future Sony T4, reflective paper-like low-power color LCD, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXu9jmTI2A

Last edited by markom; 06-27-2013 at 08:33 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
qfwfq
Enthusiast
qfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-650; Kobo H2O; Kobo Libra 2; ONYX BOOX Note Air 2 Plus
Considering the sizes in the picture (100x150 mm) it looks like a 5"
My prs-650 6" is 120x170mm
qfwfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Just noticed there are 2 models: T3 and T3S. Wonder which one the picture is of, and indeed what the difference is between them? Maybe a "mini" model or a HD model?
Nice to see the presence of page turn buttons on the front; the absence of them on the Aura was a factor that made me decide against it.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
That doesn't look like an LCD screen to me. That screen looks more like the first screen I saw of the Kindle PW. So here's hoping that means a frontlit screen!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I don't think it's frontlit from looking at it and I think it's the same software as the T1, T2 as well I'm thinking all they have done is cheapen things again.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I don't think it's frontlit from looking at it
What's making you say that? All front-lit readers I have experience with look the same as unlit readers with the light turned off. You could very well be right, but don't see how you can tell from the available pics.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't think it's frontlit from looking at it and I think it's the same software as the T1, T2 as well I'm thinking all they have done is cheapen things again.
There is no information about a frontlight or what the software will be like. Just because it's a similar looking design does not have anything to say about a light or software. We won't know until the specs are released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What's making you say that? All front-lit readers I have experience with look the same as unlit readers with the light turned off. You could very well be right, but don't see how you can tell from the available pics.
And he must be special to be able to tell how the software is based on a startup screen.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Same Android based startup screen that's basicly what I'm drawing my conclusion from well that and the whole look, if it is Android it stands to reason it's the same software/launcher with minor tweaks, I could well be wrong but only time will tell.

I've the feeling Sony just want's to compete on price and their Readers are getting progressively worse I'd love to be wrong but I see nothing promising in the images.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
My first impression was that the initial photo looked a bit like a front-lit screen with the light on. It looks lighter than their previous screens. On the other hand, I didn't see this in the additional photos and I suspect the screen in the photo was digitally brightened - especially if the reports are true about their anti-front-light stance. However, I very much hope I'm wrong and they DO have a front-lit option.

With my poor eyesight, having a front light or clip-on light makes a huge difference even in the late afternoon, even though I'm already jacking up the text size. I recently purchased the Sony lighted cover for my T1 and I actually think the screen is easier on the eyes with the (properly adjusted) Sony light than the Kobo Glo screen is, when lit. It's quite nice. BUT I have to do an awful lot of fiddling around with the light to minimize the annoying glare off of the frame of the device or off of the screen itself.

If the new device has a matte frame, maybe I would be happy with another lighted cover instead of a front light - but the Sony models tend to be insanely expensive.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Same Android based startup screen that's basicly what I'm drawing my conclusion from well that and the whole look, if it is Android it stands to reason it's the same software/launcher with minor tweaks, I could well be wrong but only time will tell.

I've the feeling Sony just want's to compete on price and their Readers are getting progressively worse I'd love to be wrong but I see nothing promising in the images.
Take the Kindle PW for example. If you see a picture of it starting up with the light off and no specs, there's be no way to know it has a front light and a hi-res screen. There would be no way to know that there was anything special about it above and beyond the Touch.

So really, the picture is nothing we can go by to know what's what.