Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Book jacket page

My question is about the "book jacket" page that is inserted when converting. I hope this is the right forum. I have a problem with the formatting of the book jacket page. It is showing a duplicate line of Tags.The first line displays properly and a second line of tags is repeated in a white font, with "ttt" after each tag in place of a comma.

The book jacket metadata shows tags like this:

Tags: Scotland, Mystery, Historial Fiction
Scotlandttt Mysteryttt Historical Fictionttt [<-- this line is in a white font]

Though the second line doesn't show on my Kindle, it leaves an extra "blank" line, and it does show on the Calibre reader.

This is happening when converting from azw, mobi, or epub to mobi or epub. I use a Kindle but I've converted some to epub or started with an original epub file just so I could open them in Sigil to try to figure out where the problem is coming from.

From book jacket template file (in App Data/Roaming/Calibre/Resources/Jacket):

<tr class="cbj_tags">
<td class="cbj_label">{tags_label}:</td>
<td class="cbj_content">{tags}</td>
</tr>

After converting to epub and opening in Sigil, this is what the html shows:

<tr class="calibre1">
<td class="cbjlabel">Tags:</td>
<td class="cbjcontent">Scotland, Mystery, Historial Fiction<br class="calibre2" />
<span class="calibre3">Scotlandttt Mysteryttt Historical Fictionttt</span></td>
</tr>

Has anyone else seen this? I don't understand where the "br class=calibre2" and "span class=calibre3" are coming from or how I can get rid of them since it is happening during the conversion process. This problem doesn't appear on any of the the other items. Can anyone help?

Much appreciated. ;-)
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is deliberate to allow for searching of tags on the Kindle. If you dont want it, use an output profile other than Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. Interesting -- so you would search, for example, for mysteryttt to find all the books tagged with 'mystery' but not the million other times 'mystery' is mentioned in books? Do I understand that correctly?

Is there any way to make that line one pixel high so it doesn't throw off the spacing so much?

I'm not sure I understand choosing another output profile. I found where that is done but are you saying that it doesn't matter which one I choose, that it can still be used on the Kindle? What sort of things does the output profile effect? Is there one output profile that you recommend? I'm worried about unintended or unknown-to-me effects.

Sorry for all the questions. I do spend hours searching the forum but my technical knowledge is lacking.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGringa View Post
Thanks for the response. Interesting -- so you would search, for example, for mysteryttt to find all the books tagged with 'mystery' but not the million other times 'mystery' is mentioned in books? Do I understand that correctly?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any way to make that line one pixel high so it doesn't throw off the spacing so much?
No, I'm afraid not.

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand choosing another output profile. I found where that is done but are you saying that it doesn't matter which one I choose, that it can still be used on the Kindle? What sort of things does the output profile effect? Is there one output profile that you recommend? I'm worried about unintended or unknown-to-me effects.
There can be a few side effects, but nothing serious. Pick the generic eink device output profile. The only major difference it will cause is that news downloads from calibre may not be recognozed as such on the Kindle. If you dont use the calibre fetch news feature, you dont care.

Sorry for all the questions. I do spend hours searching the forum but my technical knowledge is lacking.[/QUOTE]
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Thank you again. I'll use the generic then. I haven't delved into news yet. :-)