Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #361
rynax
rynax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You need to match versions for diags partition with diags kernel, and main with main kernel. You were not clear on which kernels you used (main or diags).

Also, you cannot flash a main partition with fastboot. It will report success even though it fails because the image is too big for fastboot protocol.
Thank you for the reply.
So diags kernel is different to main kernel, and I would need a matching diags kernel.

In the first post it links to download the Kindle "Forensic" Images from
http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT
in this pastebin page, there's only
diags_kernel-5.0.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?wxv0eat6lcz6mx6
and
mmcblk0p2_ssh-5.1.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?un3qrdfblfyl1d0
So these two won't match.

In the pastepin page there're other two kernel-5.0.0 kernel-5.0.4 not sure if they are main or diags kernel.

And in download page
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/
there're kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz kernel-kt-5.0.4.img.gz are these main or diags kernel?
There're also mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.0.1.img.gz and mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.1.0.img.gz

So could you point out for me which diags kernel and diags img files should I use?

Best Regards,
rynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #362
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
In the pastebin page, these two are a matched pair:
mmcblk0p1-5.1.0
main_kernel-5.1.0

The files at: http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/
Are matched pairs for the v5.0.0 "diag" partition. Which should be "good enough".
Although those kernels are not marked, I seem to recall they are the "diag" kernels.

Note that "0p1" indicates the "main" partition and "0p2" indicates the "diag" partition.

- - - -

*nix nit:
The Linux kernel build used by the Kindles is a "modular" build.
Many of the features and drivers are not "built-in" but reside in loadable modules.
The kernel code version and the module code version must match for things to work correctly.
Since the kernel is in the "kernel image" and the modules are in the "system image" those versions must match (to ensure the internal code versions match).

Last edited by knc1; 06-12-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: I felt like it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #363
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
5.0.0 through 5.0.3 used the 5.0.0 kernel I think. The kernel did not get updated by amazon until 5.0.4 as I recall...

Also, do not confuse main kernel with diags kernel...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #364
rynax

Thanks guys.

Tried the kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz and diags mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img in page
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/
still no luck on diags mode, it reboots, two white screen then black, then back to the tree screen.
Either my Kindle Touch is broken too much or the kernel in that page kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz is not a diags kernel.

Quote:
F:\ktdebricking\fastboot_win_public>fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
downloading 'kernel'...
OKAY [ 0.271s]
writing 'kernel'...
OKAY [ 1.093s]
finished. total time: 1.365s

F:\ktdebricking\fastboot_win_public>fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 3.602s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 6.249s]
finished. total time: 9.853s

F:\ktdebricking\fastboot_win_public>fastboot setvar bootmode diags
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.010s

F:\ktdebricking\fastboot_win_public>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.000s
Have tried the diags kernel here
http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT
diags_kernel-5.0.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?wxv0eat6lcz6mx6

still no diags mode = =

Last edited by rynax; 06-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #365
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The diags kernels have "diags" in the filename, and the main kernels do NOT have diags in the filename (just like fastboot help shows).

You need a compatible version of the diags kernel for your diags partition. Flashing a main kernel to onto the diags kernel will not work.

And you need an ENABLE_DIAGS file. Do you have one?

Did you try booting to diags with MfgTool?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #366
rynax

Quote:
The diags kernels have "diags" in the filename, and the main kernels do NOT have diags in the filename (just like fastboot help shows).

You need a compatible version of the diags kernel for your diags partition. Flashing a main kernel to onto the diags kernel will not work.

And you need an ENABLE_DIAGS file. Do you have one?

Did you try booting to diags with MfgTool?
No I don't have the ENABLE_DIAGS file as the touch is bricked. PC can see the removable drive but it's ejected.

ok I realised that I would have to flash the diags kernel to diags_kernel.
diags_kernel-5.0.0.img.tgz unzipped and flashed to diags_kernel
mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img to diags
Same thing.

Tried MfgTool to boot into diags mode, it says operation successful but the device still goes to the tree screen.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #367
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felias
Hello dear Geekmaster. I'm sorry but my English is not well.I was delighted by your guide on repairing Kindle and other devices. I think you are very competent person in matters of electronic devices and computers.I thought that maybe you could help me.

I need your help. Because in my country, nobody could help me = (. I have Kindle touch. After installing the application for the autorotation (firmware 5.1.0), I got a brick. I gave my Kindle to the service center (unofficial). But they could not repair my device, and now I can not run diagnostic mode on my Kindle by buttons "magic key".When I connected my Kindle to computer, I see new HID-device. But I can not run diagnostics with MFG-tool (i have wondows), command fails.I cannot run fastboot and main menu, command fails too.
Service said that the electronic chips are not broken, but they also do not know how to run diagnostics now =( I think they have curved hands.

Maybe you can tell me how to run the diagnostic mode on Linux. How and what command?

Thank you for your understanding dear Geekmaster=)
How did the service center try to repair it? If they damaged the diagnostic partition, you need to use MfgTool to go to fastboot mode, and then use fastboot to flash a new diagnostics partition (with SSH). Then you can use that to repair the kindle. Just do what the simple debricking thread says to do.

Start USB downloader mode with "magic key".
Start fastboot mode with MfgTool.
Flash diags partition and diags kernel with fastboot.
Flash main kernel with fastboot.
Boot to diags.
Flash main partition using diags SSH "dd" command.
Erase mmcblk0p3 using diags SSH "dd" command.
Set main boot mode with idme command.
reboot.
It should work. It worked for many people. See the "success reports" list in the "simple debricking" thread.

Details for above steps are provided in the "small debricking guide for noobs". Find in in master index/tools index. It is a PDF file...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #368
rynax

Quote:
How did the service center try to repair it? If they damaged the diagnostic partition, you need to use MfgTool to go to fastboot mode, and then use fastboot to flash a new diagnostics partition (with SSH). Then you can use that to repair the kindle. Just do what the simple debricking thread says to do.

Boot to diags.
reboot.
It should work. It worked for many people. See the "success reports" list in the "simple debricking" thread.

Details for above steps are provided in the "small debricking guide for noobs". Find in in master index/tools index. It is a PDF file...
Other than the diags partition,
do you need a main kernel in "kernel" or a diags kernel in "diags_kernel" or both to be able to go into diags mode?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #369
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynax View Post
do you need a main kernel in "kernel" or a diags kernel in "diags_kernel" or both to be able to go into diags mode?
The K4 & K5 implement an embedded Linux version of a "Dual Boot" computer. U-boot (the bootloader) is a "multiboot", bootloader.

Same principle as setting up your PC as "dual boot", to boot either Linux or Windows.
You can boot Linux and use it to fix Windows;
You can boot Windows and use it to break Linux.

Earlier Kindles also are setup as a "Dual Boot" computer. It those they boot either the regular system or a memory resident system.
An embedded Linux version of being able to boot your "rescue" system from your LiveCD.

- - -

*nix nit:

The inode file systems used by *nix systems have a very strong separation between the file system naming (directory) system and the file system data storage system.

This allows a file that is open and in use to be deleted and replaced without disturbing the programs that have it (the old one) open and in use.
The "delete and replace" name in the directory is separate from the "delete and replace" of the data.

On a system without constrained media storage size, not a problem to have two copies (old and new) of a file present at the same time.
On a system with highly constrained storage size (a small, fixed size, flash memory) this behavior when updating will cause you to run out of room in a hurry.

So the practice in the embedded Linux world is to have two bootable systems, where the one running is used to update the one that is not running. I.E: None of the files being replaced or changed are open and running.
That lets both the name and the data storage of a file to be deleted and replaced without using double of the storage area.

Windows does not work like that. They do things their way.

In Windows, you'll eventually get a "system restart required" message.

If you watch the progress message while your *nix package manager does a system update, you will see (if required) a four step sequence:
  • installing new xyz
  • ldconfig updated
  • xyz stopped
  • xyz started
Rather than a "you must now reboot" message.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #370
geekmaster

Quote:
To boot to diags, you need a diags partition installed, and a compatible diags kernel. In general, for main and diags, 5.0.1-5.0.3 use a 5.0.0 kernels, but 5.0.4 and 5.1.0 each have their own kernels. Do not swap main and diags kernels (they must match their boot partitions).

Technical Details:
Spoiler:
The kernels are linux kernels. Main and diags use different kernels, with different drivers built in (so they are different sizes). The each have their own storage space reserved in the mmc partitions.

There are two u-boot bootloaders. The initial u-boot is small enough to fit in the SoC RAM (with DRAM turned off). It turns on and configures DRAM, then if you need extra functionality like fastboot mode (or other boot-time diagnostic functions), it loads the larger u-boot bist (built-in self-test) image into DRAM and runs it.

Because u-boot bist is larger, it has room for a better battery charger algorithm, which is why I have recommended charging a dead battery on a bricked kindle in fastboot mode.

On the K4 and K5, there are also two linux kernels (main and diags), each located in their own mmc partition. They can be replaced by flashing a new image file to them with fastboot. The main kernel should only be flashed with a main kernel image. The diags kernel should only be flashed with a diags kernel image. Also, you should keep the kernel versions matching the one that amazon shipped with whatever version of boot partitions you use.

During startup, u-boot loads a linux kernel (main or diags, depending on bootmode var) into DRAM and runs it. The kernels contain a small initrd (RAM disk) image that loads and runs a few scripts and loads some critical loadable device drivers, then continues booting by mounting the main or diags boot partitions and loading and running stuff from there, until either the desktop framework or the diags menu appears.

During main boot, if it sees ENABLE_DIAGS on the USB (user store) partition, it changes the bootmode var to diags and reboots.

Using MfgTool, you can boot to fastboot, or main, or diags WITHOUT changing the bootmode var, and regardless of whether or not there is an ENABLE_DIAGS file.

Beware that fastboot mode drops out if there is an interruption of the USB connection, such as when resetting the USB port, or disconnecting the cable, or switching between Windows and linux. The two solutions are to change the bootmode var to fastboot using the diags "install fastboot bundle" option in the diags exit menu, or to stay in windows after running MfgTool and use the win32 version of fastboot (to prevent interrupting the USB connection).
Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #371
rynax

Quote:

Boot to diags.
reboot.

Things I have question is , since you need the diags kernel for diags mode, why the steps involve flash the main kernel?

" Also, you should keep the kernel versions matching the one that amazon shipped with whatever version of boot partitions you use."
I guess the boot partition is referring to the partition 1 for normal mode and partition 2 for diags mode?

Is there diags_kernel image file that is not 5.0.0?

Last edited by rynax; 06-16-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #372
geekmaster

Quote:
Things I have question is , since you need the diags kernel for diags mode, why the steps involve flash the main kernel?

" Also, you should keep the kernel versions matching the one that amazon shipped with whatever version of boot partitions you use."
I guess the boot partition is referring to the partition 1 for normal mode and partition 2 for diags mode?

Is there diags_kernel image file that is not 5.0.0?
When a K4 or K5 is bricked, the problem is generally in the main kernel. Although you can repair that damage by fixing or replacing individual files in the main boot partition (mmcblk0p1), it is much simpler to just flash a known-good copy of mmcblk0p1 to the kindle to debrick it. That is why the thread is called "simple debricking". Because the main partition is too large to flash with fastboot, we need to use a different method. The simplest method is to boot diags and use SSH to do a "dd" command to rewrite the main partition with the good mmcblk0p1 image file. Although SSH works on a K4, the required files were removed from the K5 and need to be replaced before you can use diags SSH on a K5. There are many ways to do this, but the simplest way on a bricked kindle is to use fastboot to flash diags mmbblk0p2 with SSH files pre-installed.

The simple debricking instructions were written when the kernels had not changed since introduction of those kindle models. Starting with 5.0.4 and 4.1.0, there are new kernels, so it became important to either flash boot partitions that match your kernels. Rather than have people try to figure out whether or not they need to flash a kernel, the process is so fast it is simpler to tell people to always do it.

The point is that if you have a main kernel that is not compatible with the main partition, you will have problems in main or diags, depending on which partition has an incompatible (mismatched) kernel.

You can download a 5.1.0 diags kernel and partition. For main, it is easier to downgrade to 5.0.0, then install whatever firmware upgrades you want. Beware that if you have wireless on, amazon may push an OTA upgrade to your device.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #373
gr2mx
gr2mx began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Unhappy Debricking failed

I have a K4NT that is bricked and I was unsuccessful to unbrick it based on this thread and silver 18 guide.

What I was able to do :
- Use MgfTool
- Use FastBoot mode to flash diags and main kernel
- Boot to diags
- Go to usb device mode to copy the mmcblkop1 partition to /mnt/us
- SSH in diags mode by using usb network
- write mmcblk0p1 using dd (seems to be successfull according to the dd output)
- zeroed mmcbll0p3
- set boot target to main with idme

What didn't work :
- seems stuck at the rebooting stage (nothing happens, even after a long time like 10 minutes)

Others info that may help :

- All the images used for flashing and dd are from here, as given in the first post
- I was running 4.1.0 before it was bricked.
- If the ENABLE_DIAGS is present, rebooting it from the diags mode will put it back in diags mode as expected.
- Using MgfTool and trying to boot to diags succeds
- Using MgfTool and trying to boot to main, fails.

My guess :
There is something wrong with my main.
Either there may be something wrong with the mmblck0p1 image or with the kernel (I've tried dowloading them again and redid the process, without improvment). Or there is some incompability because I was in 4.1.0 and try restoring to 4.0.1. I am loss at how to go forward. Any ideas regarding further steps and things to try are warmly appreciated.
gr2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #374
knc1
Going Viral

All of those images are in a compressed format.

The formats used all have internal checksums, the un-archiver(s) would have given a warning when un-compressing them if they where incomplete or damaged in transit...

Sorry, but I have to ask...

You did un-archive them before using the files, correct?

Where did you get the two (2) different kernels you flashed?

Was one of the kernels in that *.tar.gz archive?
Edit: Answered my own question, that *.tar.gz only contains a single file, the image file. (A harmless mis-packaging by the poster.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #375
gr2mx
gr2mx began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
All of those images are in a compressed format.

The formats used all have internal checksums, the un-archiver(s) would have given a warning when un-compressing them if they where incomplete or damaged in transit...

Sorry, but I have to ask...

You did un-archive them before using the files, correct?
Yes. I did extract the files before using them. (giving me : kernel-4.0.1.img, mmcblk0p1.img, mmcblk0p2.img)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Where did you get the two (2) different kernels you flashed?

Was one of the kernels in that *.tar.gz archive?
Edit: Answered my own question, that *.tar.gz only contains a single file, the image file. (A harmless mis-packaging by the poster.)
Which two kernels are talking about. I used only the one provided in the link of my previous post to flash 'kernel' with fastboot ? Did I miss something ?

The archive containing the kernel was kernel-k4-4.0.1.img.gz, and not kernel-k4-4.0.1.img.tar.gz, and it contained only kernel-4.0.1.img when I extracted it
gr2mx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking