Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison. From Smashwords:

Pretty good book. I'm willing to second.

I'd like to nominate The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay

Quote:
The first volume in Guy Gavriel Kay’s stunning fantasy masterwork.

Five men and women find themselves flung into the magical land of Fionavar, First of all Worlds. They have been called there by the mage Loren Silvercloak, and quickly find themselves drawn into the complex tapestry of events. For Kim, Paul, Kevin, Jennifer and Dave all have their own part to play in the coming battle against the forces of evil led by the fallen god Rakoth Maugrim and his dark hordes.

Guy Gavriel Kay’s classic epic fantasy plays out on a truly grand scale, and has already been delighting fans of imaginative fiction for twenty years.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
Provenzano
Banned
Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
I support Kraken by China Mieville
Provenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Pretty good book. I'm willing to second.
That's three for The Voyage of the Minotaur. Myself, orlok, and MrsJoseph.

Quote:
I'd like to nominate The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
I'm can't find this as an ebook in the U.S.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I think that Lord Dunsany shines better as a short tale writer (The Gods of Pegana, Fifty-One Tales, The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories), but will add a vote to The King of Elfland's Daughter.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Mistake delete

Last edited by Hamlet53; 04-20-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's three for The Voyage of the Minotaur. Myself, orlok, and MrsJoseph.

I'm can't find this as an ebook in the U.S.
You're right! I just assumed it was already in ebook format.

*shakes fists at publishers*

I would like to change my nomination from The Summer Tree to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Quote:
Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history.

With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Yeine will learn how perilous it can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably together.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll nominate The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley Beaulieu

Spoiler:
From Publishers Weekly

Debut novelist Beaulieu paints a detailed and realistic portrayal of individual fates bound up in social responsibilities as well-grounded cultures clash. Prince Nikandr Khalakovo, facing an arranged marriage, also suffers from a wasting disease plaguing the Anuskaya islands. When the rebellious Maharraht loose a fire elemental and kill the visiting Grand Duke Stasa Bolgravya, civil war erupts, and all factions seek to capture a mysterious autistic boy who straddles both the spirit and the material worlds. Beaulieu skillfully juggles elements borrowed from familiar cultures (primarily Russian and Bedouin) as well as telepathy, airborne ships, and magical gems. Viewpoint shifts are occasionally confusing, but the prose is often poetic—airborne skiffs under attack "dropped like kingfishers" and "twisted in the air like maple seeds"—and the characters have welcome depth.

The Winds of Khalokovo is filled with clean prose, intelligent language, and brilliant imagination. Reading this fantasy was like sinking my teeth into a rich and exotic dessert. --Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show

Elegantly crafted, refreshingly creative. --C.S. Friedman, Bestselling author of The Coldfire Trilogy

Well worth exploring... --Glen Cook, Bestselling author of The Black Company

The boldly imagined new world and sharply drawn characters will pull you into The Winds of Khalakovo and won't let you go until the last page. --Michael A. Stackpole, New York Times bestselling author of I, Jedi

Exactly the kind of fantasy I like to read. --Kevin J. Anderson, New York Times bestselling author of The Saga of the Seven Suns
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Fantasy's not my thing, but I had been considering nominating The City, the City. Since caleb beat me to Melville, I'll second Marine.
I think that this post is a work of art in its perplexity.

The best I can tell, issybird is posting a secret subtle code to us a la The Da Vinci Code and alluding to the fact that someone is in distress and that we should find them, and the clues point to the location being in the real world ("fantasy's not my thing"), not only in a city ("the city") but rather in a major city ("the city, the city"...the duplicity was the clue), that money or some kind of ransom will be involved ("since" which is a heterograph of "cents" which is a type of money), that there is some kind of possibility for danger ("beat"), that whales are somehow involved ("Melville"), that we better hurry ("second" which is a homonym with seconds of time as in we need to hurry) and that it's also near the ocean ("marine").

Yes, yes, it's becoming clearer now. My best guesses for the location are either New York City or Fargo.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #39
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
IYes, yes, it's becoming clearer now. My best guesses for the location are either New York City or Fargo.
It's got to be New York. "The city, the city" has to be "New York, New York." Shirley?

Last edited by orlok; 04-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Tom, did you miss my last post? Night Life of the Gods is ineligible this month...
Crap, you're right! I'll remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A bit early, Tom?
Not for someone who works graveyard. I just had a bit of a start. The dogs woke me up a short time ago, and I thought it was Saturday and I was late for work.

Nothing about my life is normal.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #41
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Crap, you're right! I'll remove it.
My apologies for nominating an ineligible book, and my thanks to those who seconded it!

I wasn't aware of that rule. Do we have a thread with the rules somewhere?
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My apologies for nominating an ineligible book, and my thanks to those who seconded it!
Quite alright. I should have caught it. On the plus side, you, Synamon, and I have a vote back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I wasn't aware of that rule. Do we have a thread with the rules somewhere?
If I'm not mistaken, you'll find it in the Discussion/Suggestion thread, but I don't have time now to quote you chapter and verse.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
...I'd like to nominate The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
Inkmesh has no ebook entry for this one. Do you know where it can be bought?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Inkmesh has no ebook entry for this one. Do you know where it can be bought?
The Summer Tree is not an eBook. It is available as an audio book though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those interesting in The Lightning Thief, it is available at a lot of libraries via Overdrive. Get your reserve in now.

Also because it's not from any of the price fix six, it's available using Kobo's 90% off code (or any other Kobo discount code). See the following thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...34#post2049934

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote