Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Reconverted Entire Library

Because of my older eyes, I use larger fonts on my reader. Large fonts plus fully justified text is ugly. So I chose to take the time tonight to do a epub to epub conversion of my entire library. I added left justify and changed the top and bottom paragraph margins from .5em to .3em.

First, in calibre, I changed the number of processes able to run to take advantage of the new machine I just setup at work. I ended up with 8 conversions running at any time. Next I exited Dropbox, on rare occasions Dropbox seems to get in the way of a lot of reading/writing. So to be safe I exited Dropbox for the duration of the conversions.

I did the conversion in batches.

100 at first to see if my settings were correct.
900 Some more spot checking.
5055 This batch took exactly 2 hours.

When I finished I had 8 books that would not convert this time even though they had converted fine in the past. 1 book was corrupted beyond salvage and the other 7 all had the same UnicodeDecodeError. The error pointed to a themedata file left over from the books beginning as a Word document. I used tweak Epub to open each file and delete the offending file and converted these 7 like I had the rest. The 1 corrupted file I retrieved from an external drive and converted that to my liking too.

Now let's see how long it takes Dropbox to upload 9000+ new files. Fortunately my upload speed here at work is better than that at home (where my home machine is busy downloading the new updates.)

Kovid, thanks for a great program, it was fun to see all the cores of the cpu working their butts off.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-13-2011 at 03:02 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Just curious: Do you have the original_ file tweak on? If so did your library double in size?
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Just curious: Do you have the original_ file tweak on? If so did your library double in size?
Helen
No, I turned that off the day it was implemented.

Thanks for mentioning it, even though I am at the maximum free size of 10.25 gigs having that turned on under these circumstances definitely would have busted my Dropbox.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah about the only times all 8 cores on my machine are really exercised is when I am running a bulk convert in calibre, or compiling software
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Now I want 8 cores

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I feel left out with my P4 with 1 core (hyper-threaded)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote