Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
IRIVER announces new reader - watch out Sony

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/i...e-book-reader/

Iriver has announced a dual page reader with leather exterior. It runs on AAA batteries which allegedly power it for 6 months. SONY get your act together, upgrade the reader, upgrade the software or get ready to lose another battle when the competition catches up.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
iRiver's ebook reader

// threads merged

News from CES 2007, iRiver seems to launch its own eink technology ebook reader device.

iRiver's prototype E-BOOk reader comes swathed in luxurious leather, features side-by-side dual touch sensitive e-ink screens, and uses AAA batteries for up to 6 months battery life (we didn't find out how many turns). From couple of pictures, it looks like iRiver also includes FM and MP3 playback in its new ebook gadget. iRiver still isn't even sure if they're going to launch this thing at home or abroad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver-ebook-1.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2616   Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver-ebook-2.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2617   Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver-ebook-3.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2618   Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver-ebook-4.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	2619   Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver-ebook-5.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2620  
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Looks nice, more competition is always better, but I prefer the single screen of the Sony, this would be harder to use I think like laying in bed.

iRiver has never been a content company, so I wonder if they'll sign any deals for content.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
A prototype, with no clear plans, I don't think Sony is quivering in their boots.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have to agree with this comment posted over at Engadget concerning the Iriver reader:

"Why in the wide, wide world of sports would it need to have TWO pages? Twice the price, for what? If you really need it to open like a book, just put a hinged cover on it. Having two complete displays is such a stupid idea that I'm suspicious that this might be a joke."
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Unless their first market is Playboy.

Would give that "staple in the navel" a whole new look.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
This looks like a prototype from Jinke. That dual one....
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm always happy to see more eink around...but I think the dual-screen approach is a bit counter-productive...but I know others disagree, so it probably has it's place.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
It looks like "E-ink version of panasonic's sigmabook".
Two E-ink panels are fantastic but twice expansive than Sony Reader??
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 AM   #10
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

I am keen on a two page device - I think having two pages on view is an important part of how normal paper book reading works. We do a lot of "reading ahead" without realising it - not reading the words, but the layout, the approach of new chapters, paragraphs, etc.
It's also nice just to be able to see more of the text without doing a lot of page flipping.

Having said that I'm not so keen on the design of this prototype. The screen frames and the hinge look huge and obtrusive.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
It would be better for large pdf files assuming it can switch between landscape and portrait but on the other hand having two displays will bump the cost up by an order of magnitude. Worth keeping an eye on what happens though because I think this year should be an interesting one for e-ink readers and ebooks in general.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina
"Why in the wide, wide world of sports would it need to have TWO pages? Twice the price, for what? If you really need it to open like a book, just put a hinged cover on it. Having two complete displays is such a stupid idea that I'm suspicious that this might be a joke."
Perhaps the reason is that you can read one page while the other one is refreshing. I STILL think it is an overkill, it just might be an answer to your question.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
In what's available to see, if you look closely at the size relationship between the headphone jack and the device itself, the screens are not much bigger than 4" high.

A plus for two screens; you don't need a jacket because the screens close together thus protecting them. And doing it this way you could have your text on one side and a dictionnary on the other. Or a touch screen on one side to take notes associated to the other side's text...

Open your minds here, other possibilities could exist. My computer has two screens. When I do graphics work such as CAD or photo retouching, I have my drawing or picture on one screen and all open tools on the other. I also often have Word on one side and a pdf on the other.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
Personally I don't mind two screens, especially if they can display independent data. For example your ebook on one and mp3 player on the other, or a stock ticker or something if it has wireless (ok not a continuous ticker but you get the idea, maybe RSS).

The other question that comes to mind is power consumption. Is it more energy efficient to update two screens at once or less? Overall though I like the clamshell like design. I guess we will have to wait and see where iriver takes this if anywhere.
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Two screens could be interesting if I can take notes in one and read in the other, for example. (I'm an "info pad" coveter). But-- call me a fanatic if you want-- I won't buy it if the only model comes with leather. Hopefully they'll also have a "vegetarian" model.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote