Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Help! inputting books to B&N Reader for Win devices

I use an HTC Touch Pro 2 win-based smartphone to read B&N books on its (beta) reader application. Although I like the reader, I can't figure out how to get content into it that didn't come from B&N.

I found the folder: Program Files\BN eReader\Books. In there, books are stored (as ePub files... didn't know that until I looked). I can add ePub files to the folder, no problem, but that's not enough to get the reader library to recognize them.

There is another file, found under the "My Windows-Based Device" folder, called BN.db3. As the name suggests, it's a database file, and that's what the B&N Reader uses to find its books. But I have no idea how to edit it (which I believe would be a manual process). I also can't figure out how to get the reader to accept new books into it.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to be able to input ePub books into this library, and read all of my content on it?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
You go to your B&N Library. Click on the title and then the books downloads. After that, the book will always be there even though you don't connect to the internet.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
You go to your B&N Library. Click on the title and then the books downloads. After that, the book will always be there even though you don't connect to the internet.
I think what Steve's asking though is how to sideload his own content. If it's like a lot of the other apps from B&N (also Kobo & Amazon) you really can't sideload your own content, just what you get directly from them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

What's sideload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I think what Steve's asking though is how to sideload his own content. If it's like a lot of the other apps from B&N (also Kobo & Amazon) you really can't sideload your own content, just what you get directly from them.
Sorry I didn't understand the first post. Thank you AnemicOak.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
Sorry I didn't understand the first post. Thank you AnemicOak.
"sideload" is this context simply means the act of copying a file from your computer directly to your device without the involvement of a third party. Many of us do that as a matter of routine, but it also has obvious advantages for an author that would like to checkout his/her work on an actual reading device instead of a computer screen.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Thank you

Thank you very much, David_s
Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I was wondering the same thing and so I decided to research it a little and I tried a few things out. I don't have many ePub books, but I've purchased a few from Barnes & Noble, and install the windows mobile B&N eReader application to my HTC Touch Diamond2 a few weeks ago.

I've read that the BN.db3 file is a SQL lite database. If you know anything about SQL Lite (I don't), you can modify the file to add new books to the database and then you can open your books.

Or you could download some free ePUB books from B&N's website. Then rename your books to whatever those free books are called - essentially replacing the book you downloaded with your book. The title would be all wrong, but when you select the book in the B&N eReader software, your book would open up.

It might just be easier to install Freda to your phone.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 07-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
DJManoloco
DJManoloco began at the beginning.

Device: HD2
I'm currently using the HTC eReader on my HD2. I've loaded epub files that I have found from Project Gutenberg straight to my micro SD card. On my phone I go to file explorer, select the file, and it loads automatically on the HTC eReader. You may want to explore HTC eReader cab for HTC sense. From what I recall the Touch Pro 2 has HTC Sense, I may be wrong though. Otherwise what ProfJulie recommended may be best for you, Freda. Also look into AlReader, I used it before on my HTC Touch Pro and it worked well. Also go to XDA and to freewarepocket PC to find other eReader cabs.
DJManoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, reader, windows handheld