Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Gett SSH to work under Windows 7

Hi,

Just upgraded to windows 7 and now I can't get WinSCP to work.

The page in the OI user guide that gave the instructions doesn't appear to be working at the moment either.

So can anyone give me some ideas?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Hi,

Just upgraded to windows 7 and now I can't get WinSCP to work.

The page in the OI user guide that gave the instructions doesn't appear to be working at the moment either.

So can anyone give me some ideas?

Cheers,
PKFFW
I do not know if it can help with your specific problem concerning win7, but here is a direct link to the SSH access page:
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Documentation/ConnectViaSSH
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link Dave, at least now I know what to do.

Unfortunately, things don't seem to work as described there when using windows 7.

When I right click on the linux.inf file and click "install" it says "The inf file you have chosen does not support this method of installation." And when I connect the BeBook there is no pop up box asking for the driver.

Any gurus got some ideas on that one?

Of course since the driver doesn't seem to have been installed there isn't any new network connection showing up so I can't put in the relevant TCP/IP stuff either.

Worst case scenario I can set up the virtual XP mode and do it all from there but that will be alot of hassle I think.

Anyways, any help by someone who has it all working under windows 7 would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, things don't seem to work as described there when using windows 7.
When I right click on the linux.inf file and click "install" it says "The inf file you have chosen does not support this method of installation."
The linux.inf is just a text installation script. The RNDIS drivers are already available in WinXP, so the linux.inf just uses the drivers already present.

Quote:
And when I connect the BeBook there is no pop up box asking for the driver.
That is strange. To me, it sort of implies that Win7 already has RNDIS drivers functioning? Since no network connection is made, I am probably wrong on that guess, or the drivers are incompatible with OI.

Quote:
Anyways, any help by someone who has it all working under windows 7 would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
PKFFW
Sorry that I could not help more, but I do not intend to try Win7 until it has a couple of service packs behind it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
There is another ssh-client for windows called putty, available at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

I believe it is very good but afaik it lacks a graphical scp, it's only command line.
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
PKFFW
Wizard

Just an update for any who are interested.

1: It seems Windows 7 does recognise that a RNDIS/Ethernet device is connected. However, windows 7 doesn't seem to come with any generic RNDIS drivers so it can't install them. Also, after automatically searching the internet for current drivers it came back with nothing.
2: A cursory search of the internet seems to indicate that the only RNDIS drivers presently available for windows 7 come with a program used for syncing windows mobile devices to the computer. I'm not sure if they will be any help.

So I'm off to set up a virtual WinXP os so I can use that whenever I want to move files to my BeBook. Hopefully it isn't too much trouble.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
MikusR
MikusR began at the beginning.

Device: lBook V3
Just right click that inf file and chose install (before connecting usb cable).
Old 11-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikusR View Post
Just right click that inf file and chose install (before connecting usb cable).
Unfortunately under Windows 7 it simply gives an error message that says the file doesn't support this method of installation.

I've emailed Microsoft directly to ask about RNDIS drivers. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

As for the Windows Virtual PC.......it's proving problematic.

My motherboard supports it and that feature is enabled in the BIOS and I've run the compatibility checker program and it says everything is good to go.

However, during set up I keep getting a message saying I need to enable the hardware virtualisation feature or may need to turn off Trusted Execution Technology(TXT) or update the BIOS.

I can't find any info in my user manual or the ASUS website about this TXT and how to turn it off on my motherboard. I'm not willing to update the BIOS just yet as that can be tricky.

Luckily I had already loaded up a number of books to keep me going so at this stage I'm not in any major rush.

I'll keep everyone posted in case someone else makes the silly mistake of installing Windows 7 without doing a dual boot system with WinXP as a backup!

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The linux.inf is just a text installation script. The RNDIS drivers are already available in WinXP, so the linux.inf just uses the drivers already present.
Hey Dave,

Just wondering if you happen to know the file name or location of the RNDIS drivers in WinXP? I thought I might simply copy them across(from a friends computer that still has WinXP on it) to Windows 7 and just see if they work.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Hey Dave,

Just wondering if you happen to know the file name or location of the RNDIS drivers in WinXP? I thought I might simply copy them across(from a friends computer that still has WinXP on it) to Windows 7 and just see if they work.

Cheers,
PKFFW
You can see the files in the linux.inf script. The script is built to work with Win98, WinME, Win2K, and WinXP. I am not expert in understanding .inf scripts, but it appears that it wants the two files ( usb8023.sys & rndismp.sys ) in the %%SystemRoot%%\System32\drivers\ directory. There is an additional letter at the end of the filename, before the period, that identifies the files for the older Windows systems. These two files do exist in that directory on my XP PRO system. However, it also seems to be necessary to make some registry settings for this all to work. Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with how the linux.inf makes the registry modifications. If you can figure out what linux.inf is doing you might be able to figure what is keeping it from working on Win7????????????????
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You can see the files in the linux.inf script. The script is built to work with Win98, WinME, Win2K, and WinXP. I am not expert in understanding .inf scripts, but it appears that it wants the two files ( usb8023.sys & rndismp.sys ) in the %%SystemRoot%%\System32\drivers\ directory. There is an additional letter at the end of the filename, before the period, that identifies the files for the older Windows systems. These two files do exist in that directory on my XP PRO system. However, it also seems to be necessary to make some registry settings for this all to work. Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with how the linux.inf makes the registry modifications.
Thanks for the info, it may come in handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
If you can figure out what linux.inf is doing you might be able to figure what is keeping it from working on Win7????????????????
I think I would have more chance of figuring out the Universal theory than I would at doing that!

I'll pass along your info to my Dad. He might have some idea what it all means and might be able to come up with some solution.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
2: A cursory search of the internet seems to indicate that the only RNDIS drivers presently available for windows 7 come with a program used for syncing windows mobile devices to the computer. I'm not sure if they will be any help.
See Kindle USB network tethering (Vista/Windows 7 version), which reports that the mobile drivers do work for the Kindle. There is no mention of a linux.inf though.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Kindle USB network tethering (Vista/Windows 7 version), which reports that the mobile drivers do work for the Kindle. There is no mention of a linux.inf though.
Thanks for the link wallcraft. It's all greek to me but hopefully one of my friends can work out what it means and get things to work for me.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
PKFFW: please nudge them to add the info to wiki page as soon as you get it working.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard

Update.........

Upgraded my BIOS and now Virtual PC in XP mode works. WinSCP and RNDIS drivers installed in the XP mode and working great.

No luck on getting it all to work under Windows 7 natively though.

Cheers,
PKFFW