Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Slone
Slone began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Ebook/shelf management similar to Bebook One

My Bebook One has finally died a death 3/4 years after I have gotten it and I'm feeling lost.

I'm trying to find a new reader but nothing seems to have a similar shelving management system.

I quite liked the new Kobo Mini but I've never used the Kobo system I have no idea what the bookshelf is like.

I've tried out my Dads Sony PRS-505 and hate the shelf, Ok so you can use tags to make collections which I'm sure I could get used to but I hate the fact that Edger Allen Poe is found and filed under E!!!

I'm looking for a basic e-ink reader 5 or 6 inch, although I'm going travelling so a 5" would be great. Expanding the storage would be great although not a deal breaker. I use epub with PDF as a secondary choice.

I've been reluctant to go the way of Amazon due to their non-use of epub and the fact they like use their own .azw format.

I know I'm fixating on the shelving system but for me its important. I love being able to go to my bebook and feeling like I want to read sci-fi so I bring up the sci-fi folder and then theres author sub folders
Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The BeBook One used a folder structure like you have on your computer. Basic readers that also use folders are the BeBook Pure and the PocketBook Basic. Both are 6 inch.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slone View Post
My Bebook One has finally died a death 3/4 years after I have gotten it and I'm feeling lost.

I'm trying to find a new reader but nothing seems to have a similar shelving management system.

I quite liked the new Kobo Mini but I've never used the Kobo system I have no idea what the bookshelf is like.

I've tried out my Dads Sony PRS-505 and hate the shelf, Ok so you can use tags to make collections which I'm sure I could get used to but I hate the fact that Edger Allen Poe is found and filed under E!!!

I'm looking for a basic e-ink reader 5 or 6 inch, although I'm going travelling so a 5" would be great. Expanding the storage would be great although not a deal breaker. I use epub with PDF as a secondary choice.

I've been reluctant to go the way of Amazon due to their non-use of epub and the fact they like use their own .azw format.

I know I'm fixating on the shelving system but for me its important. I love being able to go to my bebook and feeling like I want to read sci-fi so I bring up the sci-fi folder and then theres author sub folders
Using a custom column in Calibre, you can create your shelves on the Kobo readers (Glo, Mini, Touch).
I think you might like the possibilities with the Mini...While it's not the same as a file system, you get to choose content of the shelves yourself and the books can be viewed by author/title etc as well either on a shelf or in the UI.
Instructions are detailed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-17-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Slone
Slone began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Thanks guys, that seems to be a good place to start. I've had the same reader for the last 4 years so bit suck in my ways.

There are some options there for me with readers and I didn't even think to use Calibre in that way.

This seems to have given my brain a bit of a push to think about it!
Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I had Hanlin V3 for a few years before I upgraded last year to a Nook Touch. I also prefer the folder system so rooted it and installed Coolreader the reader that is used on Hanlin V3 and Bebook one etc to read most of the formats.
If you want Edgar Alan Poe to be found under P with your current reader you should use metadata plugboards to replace Author with Author sort when sending to your Sony.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert