Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Nor do I. One of the truely revolutionary aspects of eBook technology is the democratization of publishing. Does that mean a lot of dreck gets published? You bet! But it also means more people have more chances to get their views distributed.
The difference is here that they are charging someone 90 dollars - hence me calling it Vanity - on the idea that they'll become a bestseller. There's a distinction - I am ALL for ebooks, bring it on, I'm not for people getting fooled.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Regretably, your description applies to the majority of independently published books. Most are not edited at all, let alone reaching the "heights" of being merely poorly edited.
Sadly, Harry, you are correct. And it isn't getting any better.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Simon is right in calling it a vanity press, because it charges clients for its publishing service, provides the ISBN (and therefore is the publisher), and makes false promises. However, the $90 fee is inline with what someone would pay independently for the service of creating an e-book (epub file) from an original Word document. So it's not a ripoff vanity press, like those that charge hundreds for the simple process of creating a print file and registering the title in the databases.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It would be interesting to look five or ten years into the future to see where this apparent ebook revolution will lead.

Beneath a Buried House

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7J6I
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
This might seem like a really stupid question, but why would anyone actually *need* a publisher when it comes to ebooks? I mean, come on. If you're so desperate that you want to go only the ebook route, and you don't mind doing all the heavy work, you can do everything you need to get your book published yourself, and the worst that'll come out of it is just a little bit of hard work on your part.

You pay a few bucks for a cover, a few for the ISBN, pay for an editor (no, don't trust your own editing skills, trust me!) market the crap out of your book (probably spending at least a little money to do so) and then get a few professional reviews of your novel as well to boost its presence in the ebook market. Ebooks are the great leveler. When it comes to publishing with nothing but ebooks (which is where the market is headed) you don't need a publishing house, unless you're too busy/lazy/whatever to be bothered with it.

So with that in mind, who even needs a Vanity press for ebooks? Nobody honestly.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Steven,

Not a stupid question; an exactly right question. All I can assume is that people going that route do not read anything at all on the internet. Type ebook in Google and start clicking. Likely you will click on something within five minutes that will lead you to the conclusion that you can do it yourself.

Typically ebook publishers off you 50% of net, which means 35% of what remains at the only real game in town Amazon. Unless the publisher is going to be marketing 5 hours a night on your behalf (I've yet to see one do more than an author), why would you do that?

The common answer is, "I'm a writer I don't want to have to market my books ..." Well we both know how far that is going to get you.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
This might seem like a really stupid question, but why would anyone actually *need* a publisher when it comes to ebooks? I mean, come on. If you're so desperate that you want to go only the ebook route, and you don't mind doing all the heavy work, you can do everything you need to get your book published yourself, and the worst that'll come out of it is just a little bit of hard work on your part.
Precisely because some people don't want to do the work. The same reason that I employ a gardener - I like having a nice garden, but I don't like gardening. There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering a service for those who don't wish to go down the DIY route.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
simonroyle
Addict

Harry it's a couple of hours work, surely people who have spent months writing, and editing a book can handle that. I mean I don't like gardening either, but I'll pull a dead leaf off a plant - which is what this amounts to in terms of effort.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It is LESS than a couple of hours work to change the oil in your car, one of our typical most valued possessions. How many of us could do it but take it to someone else? Most of us. Same reasoning applies if you substitute mental effort or minor anguish for a little grubby oil and grease getting on you.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #25
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
It is LESS than a couple of hours work to change the oil in your car, one of our typical most valued possessions. How many of us could do it but take it to someone else? Most of us. Same reasoning applies if you substitute mental effort or minor anguish for a little grubby oil and grease getting on you.
No I get the wife to do it ...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #26
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely because some people don't want to do the work. The same reason that I employ a gardener - I like having a nice garden, but I don't like gardening. There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering a service for those who don't wish to go down the DIY route.
Big publishing houses also theoretically have more money to put into the marketing. If an author can convince a publisher to take the gamble on them and pay a marketing team to do all the hard work they don't want to, why wouldn't they take them up on it?
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #27
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
Big publishing houses also theoretically have more money to put into the marketing. If an author can convince a publisher to take the gamble on them and pay a marketing team to do all the hard work they don't want to, why wouldn't they take them up on it?
They might, but with all due respect that's not the point of this thread. Any author who receives an offer from a publishing house to publish their work should seriously consider it. There are many pros to going that route.

This thread, however is not talking about publishers taking on books, it is talking about Borders, a bookstore chain, charging writers to distribute their work; and what I find particularly distasteful, dangling the "you too can be a bestseller carrot" - which is, in 99.99% of all cases, a sucker punch.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #28
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Yeah, I'm definitely with you on that. They're marketing it as instant success, which is unrealistic.

At the same time, I figure if people are willing to pay for it, it's up to them. There are probably cheaper routes that give just as good, or better, results but if people want to pay more to (theoretically) do less, I've no problem with it. For someone who wants to actually publish a blog as an e-book, or series of ebooks, for example (though why they would, I don't know), it might be worth the money to just plug in the URL and let the program upload everything for them to format.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #29
simonroyle
Addict

I agree with you on your point of the "paying for a service" (I still don't think it is worth it).

As a "publisher" I buy services all the time: editing, cover design, virtual assistant, domain hosting, web seo, and more - what I don't do, is lie to the author (and that would be me too ), that the services I provide are going to result in a bestseller.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
I agree with you on your point of the "paying for a service" (I still don't think it is worth it).

As a "publisher" I buy services all the time: editing, cover design, virtual assistant, domain hosting, web seo, and more - what I don't do, is lie to the author (and that would be me too ), that the services I provide are going to result in a bestseller.
It's advertising. I'm sorry if this comes as a shock to you, but adverts don't always tell the truth .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote