Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
oldmac
oldmac began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Performed update, PE now does not respond

Got the woot special, Arrived Thursday. Last night, I performed an update that appeared on the screen. After update the screen said it would reboot. Screen went to "initializing" and now it's "stuck"/"frozen" on the 3rd dot initializing. The power will not shut off. I am not a technical person at all, but I have been completely unable to find a post explaining what to do in this circumstance. Does Anyone out there have any advice? Please...I'm kind of deperate at this point.

Thanks.
oldmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Try this:

https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263

Then, try to update to Ermine again when you are done.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
oldmac

Kenny..

In order to do the link, the power has to be off. Do I need to let the battery run down before I do this? I'm unable to power PE off.

Also - Do I have ermine or the froyo thing now? The update I did was just something that appeared on the screen while I was playing a game that was already on the PE.

Thank you for stearing me into a direction. I did also write Woot but I'm unsure if I will receive a reply.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
There is a reset button that if pressed will power it down. This might also jar it into doing what it is supposed to. On the pocket edge it is next to the usb jack (big one). It is marked. Push an unbent paper clip in till you feel a little click and it should power down.

What you had and may still have is android 1.6, if it upgraded you may have 1.6 or as some of us have still 1.6.

I've been unable to download the 2.2 as mine tells me I have the latest. I plan to do the manual upgrade later.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Have you tried the reset button? And have you held the power switch over for several seconds?
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi oldmac! Welcome to the forum!

As pyxiwulf and exscentric have said (and you probably have discovered by now) the reset button (actually a hole) is what you need when/if your PE gets stuck as it did. I had to use the paperclip trick on mine soon after I got it, but never since.

Hope you got it going again! If you want to you can try Kenny's suggestion. It is optional, so don't worry if you aren't ready yet.

The update you started on (from the enTourage Updater) is something you should do, so I hope you have now gotten it done.

Let us know how you do!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
oldmac

Thanks for the info..paperclip reset didn't work. Running the battery down, then restarting didn't work. Holding the off button didn't work, holding the off while holding the 1 & 3 button on right side didn't work.

At present, it's still on the 3rd light of "initializing" (won't shut off). I've emailed Woot (where I purchased last week) and I guess I'll see what they say.

Any other suggestions? I'm willing to try anything. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm shocked that sticking a paperclip into the reset hole didn't work! Did you push it in hard enough, hold it long enough? (I'll bet you did. )

This probably won't help, but it might: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=197.

Other than searching the forum or hoping someone else has a good idea I don't know what to suggest beyond what you've already tried.

You could also just leave it plugged in and closed and see if it fixes itself???

At least you have recourse through Woot!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Off Topic, Filark, I have a question. What did you do to have your post remain up on that forum that shouldn't be mentioned? I did the same thing on the same thread and my post was removed within an hour.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Off Topic, Filark, I have a question. What did you do to have your post remain up on that forum that shouldn't be mentioned? I did the same thing on the same thread and my post was removed within an hour.
lol I saw that you were banned quite quickly after that, I was going to send you a warning PM after I saw the post but it was already too late.

edit: maybe he hasn't read it, even he doesn't go on that often anymore...

Last edited by emusan; 07-11-2011 at 09:37 AM.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Sorry for your troubles. I had the same 3rd dot problem brought on by using a NTSF USB instead of a FAT32 stick.With a small paperclip I reset my PE and it powered down. I unplugged the PE and removed the usb stick. My next power up came back in Dingo. Then following instructions posted in this forum -carefully this time the update went smoothly.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
good to hear that it all worked out!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Filark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Looks like my post has been removed now, too. It's a shame.

People should know they have options for help, not just one place/person.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Looks like my post has been removed now, too. It's a shame.

People should know they have options for help, not just one place/person.
Agreed on both counts.

I think said person has an axe to grind for some reason or thinks they are the only person in the know.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
oldmac

So - to end the story, I emailed as many people/contacts as I could. Woot responded & sent a return label. I am awaiting either a replacement or a credit. I've not heard back since returning the item. Thanks again for the help - nothing seemed to work..