Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The version I did of Lovecraft was called...The Collected Works of H. P. Lovecraft.

Maybe I need to do an ePub edition of it since ghostyjack refuses to change the misleading title.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Shall I then rename this the "Almost-Complete Collection" then? Hmm, that sounds a bit awkward. Nope, I'll stick with the "Complete Collection".

Just to clarify this, I have stated in the book it is a complete collection of public-domain work. So hopefully I've got all of those then.
But the title makes it sound like it's complete and it's not complete. So it's misleading.
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 AM   #33
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I'm not refusing to change the title, I just havn't seen any reasoning that your argument on the title outweighs my warnings to the reader about the lack of the copyrighted stories.

I have stated that the book contains (to the best of my knowledge) the complete collection of public domain work, and also it states this on the very first posting so that the potential reader will be informed about this before downloading, also the book contains this information as well.

So the combination of this in the first post and the inclusion in the book should give them ample warning.

You're being very pedantic about this and I don't see how changing the title of this book is going to provide the reader with any more information about the content.

No one else has complained about it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #34
HWgeek
HWgeek began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
Was rather clear to me on the first post of what this encompassed, and the second post with the title listing was great. Much appreciated, as I was looking to revisit these books, this makes it just too easy!
HWgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #35
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I can't believe this tangent has gone on to plague you for two whole pages.

"Almost-Complete" does not make the collection sound as if it were complete. It is an unusually accurate (though perhaps unnecessary) compound adjective for you to use.

If you did use it, masses of people would bypass your version to download other versions -- possibly less complete and carefully formatted -- in the mistaken belief their titles indicated a greater number of stories.

Besides which, simply titling the collection Complete Works is not misleading except in the literal sense. If one chooses to be literal, innumerable volumes of "Complete Works" have remained incomplete whether published by Naughty Oxygen Masks Quarterly or Oxford University Press, with this or that piece being disincluded for various reasons.

This has gone on for centuries, hence the seeming paradox, Complete Works (Newly Expanded).

Complete Collection is more ambiguous, since you could argue it means a complete version of your own collection. The real reason people use the word collection is to distinguish single authors (short-story collections) from many (short-story anthologies).

Whatever you choose to call the finished product, thanks tons for all your extra work.

At this point, I'm interested in finding the best proofread and least compromised versions of stories by Lovecraft. I'm less concerned with completism than whether someone took the time to make certain the text was correct -- down to fixing every scan error and reproducing idiosyncratic punctuation.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-19-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #36
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I can't believe this tangent has gone on to plague you for two whole pages.
Amen...! The *only person* who seems to have a problem with the title/explanation is Jon.

Good job on the ebook and thanks for your work.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #37
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Thank you for taking the time to do this.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #38
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys for the support.

I personally can't think of a more appropriate title so until someone can come up with a better one I'll leave it "as is".

As to the correctness of the text, I plan on getting a new version out in around a week with some corrections in, nothing too major but I hope it will be better than the current one.

This will be something that I plan on doing whenever I get a new source for a story or if someone else finds some errors for me to correct.

Also I've been thinking about correcting the work "show" and its derivatives back to what I've since found out to be closer to what Lovercraft used. i.e. shew instead of show. Anyone think this would make it more difficult as a reading experience? or would you all rather prefer the accuracy to the original work?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #39
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the instances in which Lovecraft actually used the word shew, I'd prefer to read exactly what he wrote.

Yes, it's a variant of show, but part of Lovecraft's charm is his diction.

I would not, however, be in favor of substituting shew for show as a global if Lovecraft used both but you're unsure as to where. Have you got an original file with shew extant so that you can do a search for each instance?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A more appropriate title would be one that doesn't lie to the readers. Saying it is complete when it's not is a lie.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #41
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

If that were true, JSWolf, then the Harvard Classics editors would have been lying to casual readers and students for a long, long time.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Give it a rest, Jon. You seem to be the only reader that is having a problem with this book. Go find something else to complain about.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #43
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Thanks so much for doing this! Whether the title is correct or not

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A more appropriate title would be one that doesn't lie to the readers. Saying it is complete when it's not is a lie.
I do not appreciate the implications of your statement, it implies that I am being deliberately dishonest when that is anything but true.

Electronic books have an advantage over paper books in that they are easy to revise and update. The plan with my various H. P. Lovecraft books is for them to contain all his work, granted this can’t be done until it is all in the public domain. Hopefully this will be in my lifetime, but if not I hope someone will carry on and update them.

Therefore as his remaining work becomes available, they will be added to the relevant book thereby getting them closer to the finished article.

My intent has never been to deceive the reader, hence my numerous disclaimers in my books and in the threads that contain them. These will (hopefully) give the reader the choice of whether they wish to read them or not.

If you are so adverse to my titles, why don’t you offer some suggestions as to what to replace them with instead of just calling me a liar and demanding I change the title. Constructivism is always better than obstructionism.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Don't want to go into it on this thread, but the note at the beginning of the book contains a few errors you don't want to repeat in the next edition. Feel free to PM me; I can create a fair copy of the text and send it to you if you like.