Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #346
l0h
l0h began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Cool I got mine yesterday... But think it is REFUBRISHED. :(

I got mine yesterday. This is PRS-500. The device looks new, but I wonder if we (all who waited for so long until Sony "recieved a new stock") got refubrished devices. One of the reason I think so, is that the packaging looks odd. Instead a big blue box, I recieved my reader in a small box (similar to what cell phone providers use for sending repaired devices).

[1] Here is how my package looks like: http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/0d/2aee_1.JPG

[2] And this is how I believe the original retail box suppose to look like: http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/c2/7f/23f1_1.JPG

(sorry for using e-bay URLs, but that's where I found the pictures)

Can somebody confirm what package ([1] or [2]) he/she recieved from Sony?

Thank you in advance,
eBookFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelfin View Post
Hello all (specially the ones just getting their new readers)

I was one of the 'lucky' ones that got the reader in a matter of days without delays about 6 months ago, but I was following the drama here in this forum that some of you went through and even though is no business of mine, I can really tell you that I'm very glad for you all that finally got what you were promised (I know the feeling, I can empathize).

Happy reading,
R.

PS: So, for those who just got theirs, which one was it? the 500 or the new 505???
l0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #347
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Mine was a 500, appears new, not remanufactured.
Set up was easy. It did a software update after I installed from the included CD.
After setting up my sony ebook library (formerly called connect software) account and getting the 100 classics credit, I downloaded half a dozen just to test the Reader and it worked just fine.
Not quite as slick as the iTunes/iPod pairing for syncing but still very workable, mainly drag & drop from the e-book library to the Reader.

I should have taken it a little slower and moved the content from the Reader to the library but I got in a rush and just sort of deleted the excerpts, pics & sound files from my reader. heh.

With the holidays upon us I haven't had any 'reading' time to really test it out but I do know I need a stronger reading lamp for better definition of the text.

An interesting turn of events is that another family member received a Kindle so it'll be interesting to compare these two side by side (assuming I can ever pry it away)
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #348
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0h View Post
Can somebody confirm what package ([1] or [2]) he/she recieved from Sony?
Neither, actually
Here's a picture of the box my Reader came in:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/sony-reader-1.jpg
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #349
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Mine came with [1] in the orange box. I first thought it was reconditioned but it does not say anything on the box. My reader did come attached to the cover, is that the way it comes? I say that because the instructions talk about attaching the reader to the cover.

I have to say it is perfect in condition so I would not think its reconditioned. Besides Sony would be looking at a class-action suite. Its happened to SO many companies.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #350
pmintpatty
pmintpatty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
No pre-loaded books on Reader

The Reader I received 12/22/07 came in Orange box from same Sony Repair Center address as an earlier one I had ordered on another account. The latest PRS500 Reader was a much lower serial number & also did not have the usual pre loaded books as was on previous unit? I no longer have the unit but I have no doubt I was not the first to browse the unit.
pmintpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert