Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #46
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
How many people choose to buy regular chocolate... most of what we are buying is made in places with have much worse practices then Amazon.
Amazon is notorious for harsh (but safe) work practices. Their warehouses in the US have the exact same complaints -- high pressure environment, lots of temp workers, lots of people only picked up for the holiday season.

But here's the thing. Are you sure that the way you want to react to bad labor practices is to shrug it off? Maybe it's better to buy fair trade coffee, and spend a little more for a product that you know has fairer labor practices and a better environmental record.

And to be clear, I don't think this makes Amazon the Evil Empire. It's that next time you are outraged -- outraged, I say! -- over a book that costs $2 more at a brick & mortar bookstore than buying it online, remember that someone else is paying the difference. In this case, it's the staff at the warehouse.

That is, until they automate the whole thing. Then you don't have to care anymore.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #47
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

That is, until they automate the whole thing. Then you don't have to care anymore.
... and then all those people with the crappy warehouse jobs? Back to the unemployment line. Which is worse?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #48
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Whole books are written on it. Kids are handed off to plantations and factories to work off their parents debts. The best way to avoid supporting this practice is to buy food with the fair trade label. I have read that organic chocolate is normally produced on slave free farms. Heck, CNN did a year long series on slavery across the globe. It is not the slavery we think of from history, although that does exist, but it is just as bad in terms of depriving individuals, mainly kids, of a chance at a free life.

I am not outraged by prices at brick and mortar stores, when I bought paper books, i bought them at Independent stores, Borders, and BN. I never used Amazon. I started using Amazon for my ebooks. I don't shop at Walmart, I shop at Target because they treat their employees better. I try and buy American or European when I can afford it. I try and buy organic and fair trade when I have the option.

I am not outraged when I hear that Amazon, or any other company, uses temp workers to save money. I am not outraged when the employees are checked for stolen goods. I am not outraged that people are fired for small things. Outside of the fact that this is all common knowledge, the folks working there have a choice to work there or not. If they don't like it, they have a choice to find a different job. If they are struggling to find a job they are qualified for, I would guess that the UK has education options for them. They have choices.

The kid whose parents sends him to work rolling in the fields or plantation to pay off a debt or because they don't have the money to care for are the ones I will save my outrage for.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 03-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #49
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
These people should consider themselves lucky. They could be working for this company instead:
According to Wikipedia, Foxconn has 1.23 million employees, and mainland China, where most work, has a suicide rate of 223.2 per million population per year. That's quite high, and almost twice that in Taiwan, where Foxconn has its headquarters. But even at the Taiwan (or US, or Canada, or UK) suicide rate, there would be several Foxconn workers a week committing suicide. So I am mystified what I am to make of the one tragic suicide highlighted. While I am in favor of Apple using its outsized profits (and Amazon its normal profits) to improve Chinese working conditions, your link seemed overheated and didn't convince me of anything.

I'm convinced that export industry generally improves working conditions for people is developing countries. There are indeed two Chinas, and the China to cry about is not the one making our devices.

By contrast, I'm far from convinced that Amazon warehouses improve working condition in Europe or the US -- it looks like the opposite.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon relies on a high tech toolkit but their business practices are those of a retailer.
Low prices aren't a tactic (and a temporary one) as many seem to believe but rather it is hardwired into the company's culture.

Contractors? Seasonal temp workers? Of course! Retailing is a seasonal business.

Amazon does not offer up juice bars or in-house gyms or masseuses as other tech companies do. They pay good but not deliriously great salaries.
But then, most successful retaillers are no different.

A lot of their jobs are mind-numbingly dull.
But then, they don't require a degree in neuroscience, either.

To paraphrase Lensman Kim Kinnison "Not everybody can be first violin in the orchestra; somebody has to blow wind through the trombone."

Everybody has a role to play but only the lucky ones have a choice. The rest of us make do.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
People working crappy jobs. Ah, the humanity!
And they're zero skill/ zero brainpower required jobs to boot, obviously the workers deserve full medical/dental, $30 per hour and 3 weeks of paid vacation! /s

If they're that unhappy, then quit. If Amazon wasn't able to fill these jobs thanks to bad word of mouth then they would be forced to change their ways if they want employees. Nobody has a gun to their head to take/keep this job.

Today I learned that crappy, zero skill required jobs are crappy. Who knew?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Today I learned that crappy, zero skill required jobs are crappy. Who knew?
It is quite the eye-opener.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you want to feel, and be treated, like a human robot try being a machine operator in a factory. Depending on the machine you stand in one spot repeating the exact same motions, over and over again. I likened it to moving a ton of metal, one piece at a time. You're completely replaceable and management treats you as such.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #54
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Looking at lists of "best employers," the one I'm seeing, that comes closest to Amazon in its business model, is Overstock.com. A web site, and low price order fulfillment, seems all that company is, no?

See:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13791980

The biggest complaint about Overstock, as an employer, seems to be pay. If you treat people well enough, you can pay them somewhat less.

Amazon warehouse workers seem mostly to be employees of Amazon contractors. Since the contractor is going to take a cut, Amazon's actual labor cost are plausibly higher than if people liked working for them.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #55
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The town used to have a coal mine. I don't understand how a dangerous, backbreaking job like that would be looked back on fondly. I, too, worked at a factory, put in 12 hour shifts making the white ends for the buttons on blenders. I used to have a paperback in my purse, and once I made rate, I would go to the bathroom and read a few pages. But, having a job sure beats the alternative.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #56
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Ironically, you can purchase this Financial Times story as an ebook on both the Amazon US and Amazon UK sites.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #57
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It's mainly contract-based work, so no pensions will ever be paid to those workers.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
And they're zero skill/ zero brainpower required jobs to boot, obviously the workers deserve full medical/dental, $30 per hour and 3 weeks of paid vacation! /s
It would be illegal for Amazon to offer only 3 weeks paid holiday a year; everyone working full-time in the UK is entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid holiday. See:

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...ts/entitlement

Not sure what you mean by "medical/dental" - medical care is provided by the state in the UK.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-14-2013 at 04:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It's mainly contract-based work, so no pensions will ever be paid to those workers.
Not true. Under the 2012 Pension Reform Act, agency workers are entitled to a pension.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #60
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
But, having a job sure beats the alternative.
I have mixed feelings on statements like that, since the "having a job" line is often used to justify a race to the bottom. People should be able to find work that offers a living wage and where the employer treats them as human.

That being said, I've also encountered many people who seem to want too much out of their work. A living wage is just that: you can afford to live. Likewise, being treated as human also means that you are behaving human. That includes things like earning respect from your employer by respecting your employer and exhibiting responsibility. In other words, you do your job efficiently rather than goofing off.

Tags
amazon, amazon uk, rugeley, work conditions