Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
fabman
fabman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite, kindle dx graphite, Kobo Aura One
Tags as folders instead author names?, Is it possible?

Hello,

First let me say that Calibre it's the best companion ( by far ) to the Kindle DXG, it's simply great. Although, ( I don't know if it's possible ), when you add new books to calibre or send them to the kindle, it creates a folder for each author name on both places, what I would love that it does, it's create a folder with the tag name of the book ( or category or whatever ).

Thanx
Fabian
fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
But what if you have five tags on that book?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
fabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
But what if you have five tags on that book?
I thought about that after posting the question, I usually use just one, but, what if it uses categories, collections, or at least give the choice which one to use for folder creation...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not familiar with the Kindle, so I don't know what kind of file browsing system it has. I'm a Sony user, so I'm just used to dealing with its collections, which are created from tags. We'll have to wait for one of the Kindle experts to drop in and talk about what you've got on that end and how you can organize it.

As far as calibre's internal files, please read my post on the subject here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232 (that's the same one linked in my .sig).
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
fabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm not familiar with the Kindle, so I don't know what kind of file browsing system it has. I'm a Sony user, so I'm just used to dealing with its collections, which are created from tags. We'll have to wait for one of the Kindle experts to drop in and talk about what you've got on that end and how you can organize it.

As far as calibre's internal files, please read my post on the subject here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232 (that's the same one linked in my .sig).
Damn!, sorry to post such a stupid question when already has been answered over and over again. No idea why it didn't come up on my searchs.
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Search can be an iffy thing. If you don't pick exactly the right keywords, you can come up blank on a subject that has been covered ... well, as many times as this one has. And picking those keywords, especially on an unfamiliar subject, can be a black art.

Don't worry about stupid questions; while it's not true that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (I've seen questions so mind-numbingly stupid that they never should be asked, even in kindergarten) that certainly wasn't one of them. It's a legitimate question on a subject you didn't know much about, which is how one learns. The alternative is barging ahead and making stupid mistakes, and then posting on here how lousy calibre is and how incompetent the devs are because it doesn't work the way you think/want it to work -- and yes, we've had a disturbingly large number of people who introduced themselves to this forum by doing exactly that. Needless to say, they don't make a good first impression.

So don't worry about asking any questions you might have. We're a really friendly bunch (well, they are; I fake it) and there's someone here with an answer to just about anything. After all, it wasn't all that long ago that most of us were the ones with the befuddled looks and the newbie questions (and the reason that's not true for the rest is that they wrote the code ... and even at that, Kovid is the only one who didn't have to learn his way around calibre at some point).
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since the Kindle doesn't organize books by folders anyway, what would be the point? In any case you can control what paths are generated for bokos sent to the device with

Preferences->Add/Save->Send to device
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
fabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In any case you can control what paths are generated for bokos sent to the device with
Preferences->Add/Save->Send to device
Nice, thank you!, I'll check it out.