Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
The Dogs of War!

To some the idea of war (and the military) is the very antithesis of all that they believe. That something good can come from it is incomprehensible.

May they find a more enjoyable thread elsewhere. But if they want some really good stories try a few of the books below.

Reading Recommendations - WAR

I loved the "Lord of the Rings" but war in the books was a mechanism to tie up loose ends. To finish of the series. It contributed little to the development of the characters.

Some of my favorite "war" books are;
"THE CORPS" by W.E.B. Griffin. You really care about the characters. They show you the best in people. And sometimes how we fail. They grow in many ways as they go thru the books. In the end you wish that you were lucky enough to know real people like them. And you KNOW that such people are out there.

"THE BROTHERHOOD OF WAR" by W.E.B. Griffin. The same as above but with new characters.

"HONOR BOUND" Again by W.E.B. Griffin. Honor can be found on BOTH sides.

"MEN AT WAR" Still again by W.E.B. Griffin. Same thing. Honor and courage.

I've just finished "Sharpe's Tiger" by Bernard Cornwell. A different series entirely. Sitting on the edge of a cliff with every word.

Just starting to read "Sharpe's Triumph". Definitely not a Griffin character. Gritty through and through.

Am I the only one?

Last edited by SameOldStory; 05-20-2010 at 11:21 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Matterhorn - one of the best vietnam era novels I've ever read. I hope he writes another one...soon!
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only Vietnam era book that I've read was Bat-21 by William Anderson. I heard him talking on the radio just after he wrote the book. It's based on a real life story. The movie may be ok, but the book is GREAT!

Get this book!

Wiki
"On his 63rd mission, on April 2, 1972, Hambleton was aboard an EB-66E preparing a B-52 strike planned for the following days. Quang Tri, the area targeted, was reported by intelligence to contain around 30,000 enemy troops and while flying over it at 30,000 ft, the aircraft was hit by a North Vietnamese Soviet-built SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missile. The only one of the six-man crew to eject safely, Hambleton floated to earth when a forward air controller, airborne with the USAF supporting the South Vietnamese response to the North’s offensive, saw his descent, communicating with him over his survival radio. He landed near a highway junction on a Communist supply route and was seriously wounded in the arm and back."

Last edited by SameOldStory; 05-22-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self

Bat-21 isn't available but Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes is here.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Let me present my little but deeply felt contribution to this very interesting genre.

Pierre Clostermann The Big Show . Its various editions have sold over two and a half million copies. William Faulkner commented that this is the finest aviation book to come out of World War II. The book was reprinted, in expanded form, in both paperback and hardcover editions in 2004.

I read and reread it countless times, till the book fell apart and I got an other copy to read it again.

Leon Uris Battle Cry. " ... The role of the narrator is filled by the character of a tough veteran sergeant. He tells the story of how this rag-tag group came together as a fighting unit, as well as describing the battles they fought in, including the Battle of Guadalcanal, Tarawa and the Battle of Saipan." A must

Tom Clancy has written several military fiction books. Among them, two stand.
Red Storm Rising (1986) War between NATO and USSR. One narrative tread is a long trip across Iceland. Very vivid episods of air combat and tanks action.
Clear and Present Danger (1989) The Guerrilla action by a light infantry group in the Columbian mountains is one the best war descriptions I ever encountered.

Len Deighton Bomber is considered his literary masterpiece. I also like Declarations of War that I am rereading on my Sony right now, for the nth-time.

C. S. Forester His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded the 1938 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, depicting a Royal Navy officer during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen. A must
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self

Clostermann sounds like an extraordinary man. There used to be a word, hero, to describe such people. But in the world of "Guitar Hero", and other misuses of that word, I would like to see a new word come about.

Exceptional recommendations, beppe. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'll throw two old favorites out there (unfortunately neither will likely be an ebook anytime soon)...

Those Devils in Baggy Pants by Ross S. Carter

From the back of my 1951 paperback...
Quote:
This is more than just another war book -- it is a unique, thrilling reading experience

"Tough and tense and touching -- and, above all, True outside and true inside."
--James Ramsey Ullman

"A vivid, down-to-earth portrayal. ...Stirring history."
--General Mark Clark

"It will turn you upside down ... when Carter is finished, you realize our country rears some truly great men."
--LA Times

"Among the best of the war books.... This reader considers she would have missed a vital experience if she hadn't read it."
--Bernadine Kietty, Book-of-the-Month Club News

"Hardhitting ... honest, and above all, utterly convincing."
--San Francisco Chronicle

"A thrilling, unforgettable tale that will curl your spine, make you laugh and want to cry."
--Columbus Dispatch

ROSS S. CARTER was one of the three survivors of his original paratroop platoon, the 82nd Airborne Division, which served both in Europe and Africa during World War II. The increadible bravery and daring of these men is described vividly by Mr. Carter in THOSE DEVILS IN BAGGY PANTS.

You're Stepping On My Cloak and Dagger by Roger Hall
Quote:
Synopsis
With a sharp eye and wry wit, Roger Hall recounts his experiences as an Army officer assigned to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) officer during World War II. First published in 1957 to critical and popular acclaim, his book has become a cult favorite in intelligence circles. The story follows the author from bored junior officer fleeing a tedious training assignment in Louisiana through the quirky and rigorous OSS training rituals in the United States, England, and Scotland. After quickly learning the skills necessary for behind-the-lines intelligence work, he eventually became an expert instructor. But deemed too much of an iconoclast, he was only reluctantly given operational duties. His first parachute jump in support of the French resistance terminated prematurely in a comedy of errors. Hall's droll story-telling style and descriptions of the unforgettable personalities he encountered unite to create one of the funniest and most perceptive books ever written about life in the OSS.

Synopsis

With a sharp eye and wry wit, Roger Hall recounts here his experiences as an American Army officer assigned to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) during World War II. First published in 1957 to critical and popular acclaim, his memoir has become a cult favorite in intelligence circles. He chronicles his experiences from his time as a junior officer fleeing a tedious training assignment in Louisiana to his rigorous OSS training rituals in the United States, England, and Scotland for its Special Operations unit. Quick to pick up on the skills necessary for behind-the-lines intelligence work, Hall became an expert instructor, but was only reluctantly given operational duties because of his reputation as an iconoclast. In his droll storytelling style, Hall describes his first parachute jump in support of the French resistance as a comedy of errors that terminated prematurely. His last assignment in the war zone came when then Capt. William Colby, the future head of the CIA, handpicked him to lead the second section of a Norwegian special operations group into Norway via Sweden.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
I've just finished "Sharpe's Tiger" by Bernard Cornwell. A different series entirely. Sitting on the edge of a cliff with every word.
Just starting to read "Sharpe's Triumph". Definitely not a Griffin character. Gritty through and through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
C. S. Forester His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded the 1938 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, depicting a Royal Navy officer during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen. A must
I love Sharpe and Hornblower.

I'd also recommend 'Beau Geste' by P. C. Wren - which Crutledge has uploaded here.
Sven Hassel was another author I enjoyed reading when I was a youngster - but that was a long time ago.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
A great book from the Gulf War is Generation Kill by Evan Wright. He was a Rolling Stone reporter that rode with a platoon of First Reconnaissance Battalion Marines.

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Kil.../dp/0425224740
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I read all 20 or so of the Sharpe books -- or rather listened to them Great stuff. I like that the author ended each book with a description of what was real and what was fiction.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
SameOldStory
My True Self

Those books that I read so long ago are starting to come back.

One very good one is The Devil's Brigade by Robert H. Adleman.

I can't recommend the movie as it has very little to do with the book or the real events.

Of the true story - I believe that 2 (maybe 3) of the original solders became priests and ministers afterwards.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I love Sharpe and Hornblower.

I'd also recommend 'Beau Geste' by P. C. Wren - which Crutledge has uploaded here.
Sven Hassel was another author I enjoyed reading when I was a youngster - but that was a long time ago.
'Beau Geste', downloaded and converted. Thanks for reminding me of this one.

Perhaps you, or others, can help me. I remember reading a book about young British solders in training. Although there was one death (suicide?) it was a VERY funny book.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I read all 20 or so of the Sharpe books -- or rather listened to them Great stuff. I like that the author ended each book with a description of what was real and what was fiction.

Lee
"all 20 or so of the Sharpe books "

YIKES!!!

Where will I find enough money!

It was bad enough buying all of the Flashman books.

You Brits are trying to build another British Empire starting with my pay checks.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Perhaps you, or others, can help me. I remember reading a book about young British solders in training. Although there was one death (suicide?) it was a VERY funny book.
Could it have been 'The Virgin Soldiers' by Leslie Thomas?
Not sure there was a suicide in that though.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
SameOldStory
My True Self

BINGO! That was it, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Now lets see if it is still available.