Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #166
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My new T91 MT shipped from Amazon yesterday, estimated arrival is Monday.

My thanks to the OP for convincing me to not wait for the "perfect" device. There will never be one, as there will always be something just a little better right around the corner!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #167
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
When you get your T91mt, check out my post on optimization

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=81544&page=6
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #168
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
wodin: Enjoy! I love mine and it suit my purposes well. Agreed: no sense in "waiting around" for the "perfect" device. I should have gotten mine sooner! Mine does do what I want it too, so I have no complaints. We can't expect everything but the kitchen sink, but the T91MT has just what I need. Very fun to have and also has helpful options for me too. It's a good reader too!
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #169
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
When you get your T91mt, check out my post on optimization

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=81544&page=6
Thanks for that Noah!

I'll also need to shop around for 32 GB SD cards. Right now they're about a hundred bucks a pop, so I'll be making due with the several eight gigers that I already have.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #170
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I would have bought that 10" in a flash, if I hadn't read it was slower than the 9"... And I want at least 10"...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #171
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's another convertible tablet option I haven't seen talked about. It's a bit ruggedized, but also a bit bigger and intended for kids...

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/ct...l2-review.html
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #172
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I would have bought that 10" in a flash, if I hadn't read it was slower than the 9"... And I want at least 10"...
The combination of a slower cpu and less memory should make the smaller model slower than the 10" version.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #173
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The combination of a slower cpu and less memory should make the smaller model slower than the 10" version.
Yes, that's what you'd think. But all reviews I've seen, that compare the 9" to the 10" agree that the 9" is better.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #174
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Yes, that's what you'd think. But all reviews I've seen, that compare the 9" to the 10" agree that the 9" is better.
I think I saw something like this as well. One reason I've been stroking my beard to the Gigabyte.

I'm sure with a little optimizing the 10" could be better. Upgrade the RAM the ram for one. Remove the bloatware.

Last edited by Xerxes; 05-25-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #175
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I'm actually looking at a second hand tablet, right now, the Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic ST5112.

(only need to get my husband to agree...)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #176
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Gigabyte T1028X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Any good for notes?
I assume you are talking about taking notes with a stylus. No palm rejection technology, so you are basically talking about scratching out notes with your hand held off the screen. Trust me, accuracy suffers, a lot.

You can always swivel the screen back and type though. The Gigabyte menu software is pretty good and easy to use.. You can change orientation with a touch.
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #177
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
I assume you are talking about taking notes with a stylus. No palm rejection technology, so you are basically talking about scratching out notes with your hand held off the screen. Trust me, accuracy suffers, a lot.

You can always swivel the screen back and type though. The Gigabyte menu software is pretty good and easy to use.. You can change orientation with a touch.
The PenWrite application that comes with the T91MT only works in MS Journal and Sticky Notes, however, if you install the PenWrite application for the T101 (free from Asus), it gives you global palm rejection.

I have done that on my T91MT, and it works in OneNote. It's a little rough, and not up to the standards of an actual hardware digitizer, but then it's not a two thousand dollar tablet either.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #178
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
I tried them both over here and found the 10" faster to use due to the better processor and particularly the extra memory, combined with the larger screen it made my decision to get one pretty easy in the end.

Given that I like my gadgets I'll look again at slates once we finally see some of these e-ink alternativies like pixelqi and mirasol turning up, but in the meantime I have a very nice little device that does me just fine.

The main reason I wanted such a device was for reading comics and being able to use both the legal option from marvel (that required flash) along with the non-legal cbr/cbz options just made this the right choice for me at this time.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #179
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The main reason I wanted such a device was for reading comics and being able to use both the legal option from marvel (that required flash) along with the non-legal cbr/cbz options just made this the right choice for me at this time.
That and the ability to read my .NET books digitally.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #180
Zefiro
Zefiro began at the beginning.

Device: PB902Pro
I've been passing months searching for a viable way to read mainly technical PDF on a portable device and now I'm at the point that I need it now.

At first I though to buy an e-ink based solution, but I was scared away by the fact that many of these readers seem to have either low quality PDF support (e.g. the Kindle DX) or high prices (e.g. iRex DR1000 or Plastic Logic QUE).

At last I decided to consider LCD devices and I put my eyes on the Asus T101MT.
To me, the advantage of the netbook platform is that I can install all the software I want and so I think that there should be no problem with PDFs or other document types. The color screen is also a nice plus. Behind this I can also use it to perform other tasks.
The disadvantages are the inferior battery life and the LCD screen.
In the last few days I've been reading mixed reviews about the T101MT and I'm starting to be a bit sceptical.
Is there anyone who has already purchased this product with similar intent?
Are there any other interesting netbook-convertible solutions?
Zefiro is offline   Reply With Quote