Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2024, 01:33 PM   #1
MrCarl
MrCarl began at the beginning.

Device: KO2
Question KOA2 - Unable to wake on Deep Sleep

Hey,

I've had the KOA2 (CW24Wi) since 2017, I love the guy, but its had a funky issue from the jump. Occasionally (daily) when attempting to wake the device, it just sits there with a green LED for a few seconds, then the LED shuts off. The screen is entirely unresponsive, and it requires a force reboot to get it moving again. I've done some research in various locations of the internet and reached out to customer support in the past but no one has had a solid answer for me on what the root of the issue is.

Here's what I've tried:
- Factory Reset
- Firmware upgrade
- CFW

No matter the context, the same issue happens, but only occasionally. This makes me think it's a *Deep Sleep* issue rather than a sleep issue. I've just dealt with it until I found this forum and KOReader. Recently I've just disabled the screensaver using KUAL helper+ and that has worked phenominally for me, but it's severely reduced my battery life to where I'm charging nightly.

My question is, is there a way to entirely disable Deep Sleep? Or is that even the issue here?

The tricky bit is that this isn't that big of an issue, and part of me just wants to suck it up, but I thought I'd make an account here and reach out to see if anyone has some wisdom on the topic. I do want to say how appreciative I am of all the hard work and inventiveness on this forum for a technology I'm really passionate about. Thank you everyone on MobileRead. My wife and I are huge on KOReader and I'm training my kids up on it too.
MrCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Disabling sleep lasts until reboot. Reboot always enables sleep.

KOA2 has faster processor, bigger screen, more lighting LEDs, and smaller battery than Voyage, so battery life won't be great. amazon probably thought deep sleep would fix all this. I don't know of a way to prevent deep sleep while leaving ordiary sleep enabled. No kindle battery will last very long with all sleep completely disabled.

KOA2 can be prone to excessive sync attempts quickly draining the battery. That happened to me and I found the answer in post #2 of the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323247
(prevents syncing completely)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2024, 05:40 PM   #3
MrCarl

Hey, to clarify, I'm running with networking disabled and do not sync with networking. My battery life has been fantastic prior to disabling screensaver, and battery is not the issue here. I'm more concerned with the sleep crashing issue.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:56 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
There has been speculation that deep sleep is a form of hibernation. Maybe your resume file got corrupted early on. No one has ever reported any details regarding deep sleep.

People have discovered various things by decompiling the obfuscated java files. One of those is the sleep delay. Maybe there is also a deep sleep delay. The battery definitely drains much faster during sleep than during deep sleep.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:20 PM   #5
MrCarl

I'm unsure what a resume file is, but I'd imagine this isn't the root problem as the issue remains after factory resets and cfw installs, unless these things do not recreate or reset the resume file. Regardless, battery life isn't my primary issue. Upon restart from a wake crash, the battery is right where I left it.

My end goal is figuring out if there's a way to disable or fix the deep sleep function, or to determine whether the root of the wake crashing is located elsewhere.
Advert