Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Buying a New Kindle Paperwhite

Hi

I've got a birthday coming up and I am thinking of getting a new Kindle PW. i was hoping there would be a January sale on after Christmas and I could get one cheaper than the usual recommended price but that didn't happen.

At the moment the cheapest price I've seen in the UK is for the Kids version at £139.99 from Amazon themselves. However I haven't been able to find out many differences between the standard PW and the Kids version. Is there a restriction on adult book content or anything else stopping me use kids version as a normal ebook reader?

Thanks.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It is 100% the same hardware (and software). "Paperwhite Kids" is just a "bundle" that combines Paperwhite 11th Gen with other extra stuff.
And of course you can exit out of Kids mode (and even delete the kid profile) and use it without any restrictions.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 12:09 PM   #3
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If you're waiting for a sale, Amazon often has them around gift giving holidays and Valentine's Day is coming soon. There could be a sale starting in the next week or so.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:10 PM   #4
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys, I'll hang on until around Valentine's Day with my fingers crossed.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:46 PM   #5
bugmen00t
Connoisseur
bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Keyboard + Kindle Voyage WiFi + Kindle PW11 Kids
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
And of course you can exit out of Kids mode (and even delete the kid profile) and use it without any restrictions.
Be aware though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnti_N7Fllk&t=136s
I keep my PW11K away from recent firmware updates, mostly to be able to use KUAL and KOReader.
bugmen00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 04:26 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrh View Post
At the moment the cheapest price I've seen in the UK is for the Kids version at £139.99 from Amazon themselves.
I see the price as £159.99. How odd. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TM2S6T1
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think the £139.99 price is for 8GB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:03 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I see that some Kindles on UK Marketplace ship to UK, IoM, Ch Is and Ireland and some are UK only. Isle of Man and Channel Islands are "British" but not in the UK.
A 300 dpi Basic with front light (thus a little like a PW3) is about £88. Ships UK, IoM, Ch Is and Ireland.
A Kids Edition is £108 approx, but actual UK only.

Search Kindle on the UK Marketplace. As usual the Search may return items that are UK (excludes IoM & Ch Is) only and no indication till you look at the item.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:07 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And that one is curiously UK only.

Note that UK marketplace is what amazon.ie loads and is the default for Irish owners of a Kindle.
Irish, IoM, Ch Is. sales are bundled with UK sales for KDP and many (all?) 3rd party sellers. Obviously 1922 never happened.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One difference is that the kids version comes with a cover so no need to buy a cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:12 AM   #11
Brianrh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think the £139.99 price is for 8GB.
Yes it was for the 8GB version now I come to check. My current ordinary Kindle is 8GB and I'm wondering if I would really need 16GB?

How much storage do you guys find you need?
Old 02-02-2024, 08:26 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

8 G is loads if it's ebook novels only.
PDF instruction manuals and illustrated works use it up quick.
I think about 7000 items (some PDFs and illustrated) leaves about 16G free on a 32 G Sage.
I'm thinking of swapping from 256G to 512G on my tablet so as to add all the old technical magazine scan PDFs and other non-Fiction content.

So it depends on what you do. I might download about 100 PD titles a month from Gutenberg and other places and only be immediately wanting to read a few. I put all on to the ereader from Calibre except larger page size / smaller print PDFs.

A 2G byte or 4G byte is certainly too small if you are getting PD content. An 8G is fine as the Paperwhite is not much use for PDF, manga etc.

As you already have a Kindle an 8″ epub ereader like Kobo would easily let you download the ebooks from Amazon via Calibre and plugins. Then you can set subtitle, series and collections on Calibre.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #13
Brianrh
Connoisseur

My current Kindle is a 7th generation and my wife is quite keen to give an ereader a try so that's where it is destined.

I bought a cheap second Kobo Touch from Ebay a few months ago and although it was terribly slow, I quite liked it. However one thing I did miss was the ability to synchronise reading postions between the ereader and the corresponding app on my Android phone for side loaded books. I do have a few periods each week when I have to wait in the car and read on my phone while I'm waiting. I don't believe the Kobo can do this.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:35 AM   #14
dkabot
dkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheesedkabot can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen00t View Post
Be aware though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnti_N7Fllk&t=136s
I keep my PW11K away from recent firmware updates, mostly to be able to use KUAL and KOReader.
Mine wound up getting stuck on a white screen after accepting the Kids+ subscription and had to reboot.
When I did, the prompt to continue the barrage of upsells was gone, I had no child profile, and I had no ads.
Even shows as "Special Offers Disabled" on the Amazon device page.

I've also heard Reddit anecdotes of the ads simply not appearing if you skip creating a child profile, though YMMV.
dkabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:50 AM   #15
Brianrh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
If you're waiting for a sale, Amazon often has them around gift giving holidays and Valentine's Day is coming soon. There could be a sale starting in the next week or so.
I hung on as you suggested and it turned out as you predicted. I've just bought a 16GB Paperwhite from Argos for £124.99 so I am a happy bunny. It looks as thought Amazon have dropped the price which probably led to Argos following suit.

Thanks for the help guys, enjoy your Valentines I know I will now.