Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 10:33 PM   #1
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
No book cover on sleep on PW10, works on PW11

Hello all,

I am facing an issue with my wife's Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen as she can't seem to be able to get book covers showing up when device on sleep. Works just fine on my 11th gen.

We both keep our Kindles on airplane mode, I use the same Calibre library for both Kindles and convert the epubs to AZW3 format.

Her option to display cover while sleep is turned on in the settings.

I have tried doing the thing described in thread about this bug.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Hello all,

I am facing an issue with my wife's Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen as she can't seem to be able to get book covers showing up when device on sleep. Works just fine on my 11th gen.

We both keep our Kindles on airplane mode, I use the same Calibre library for both Kindles and convert the epubs to AZW3 format.

Her option to display cover while sleep is turned on in the settings.

I have tried doing the thing described in thread about this bug.
Are both Kindles registered with Amazon? If the PW10 isn't, some things will just not work.

I would apply the latest update, which gives Kindle 'real' system time. It might also fix issue with the PW10g. If the 2 PWs are on different versions now, it will also eliminate one variable to troubleshoot.

Also try the same book (one that 'works' on PW11) to confirm it is not related to any particularly book.

I don't side load much except to experiment so others might have some better insights into this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 12:22 AM   #3
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both Kindles are registered and with latest update. And yes, I tested with the same books.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
If PW10 supports KFX format, you can try converting books into it, to see if covers work in that format. Download plugin in Calibre, then make sure to check "create personal document instead of book" in kfx output settings. You may as well check "create appropriate page numbers" as well, while you're at it.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
If PW10 supports KFX format, you can try converting books into it, to see if covers work in that format. Download plugin in Calibre, then make sure to check "create personal document instead of book" in kfx output settings. You may as well check "create appropriate page numbers" as well, while you're at it.
KFX output on Calibre actually uses an Amazon program that also must be installed, so doesn't work on Linux.

The cover issues aren't better with KFX anyway. You need to connect Kindle twice and also not enabling WiFi is good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 11:54 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
At least PW3 (gen7) supports KFX, but it's unlikely to help.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a PW10 and PW11, both are on 5.16.6.

Using calibre, I copied the same book to both (AZW3). (FWIW, the download-to-USB file was for the PW10.) I deleted the amazon-cover-bug folder before Ejecting.

Neither is/was in Airplane mode. I did a manual sync, opened the book, closed the book, locked screen. Both show cover image on Lock Screen.

I repeated this with an ePub converted to AZW3, and also to KFX. Again, cover image displays on Lock Screen for both formats and devices.

I cannot say what I would have seen had I done this prior to the update.

But at least it appears there is no longer any need for the amazon-cover-bug hack to restore side-loaded thumbnails after sync, with 10th and later generation Kindles that are running 5.16.6 and with Date and time setting of Set automatically.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-20-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:29 AM   #8
arturg
Zealot

Does the time setting have to do with the cover issue?
Old 01-24-2024, 07:56 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does the time setting have to do with the cover issue?
There have been issues with side loaded cover images disappearing after sync (I was never able to reproduce this), to the extent that calibre put a little folder with thumbnails for the side loaded books that would restore the thumbnails after re-connecting to calibre.

I don't think that will be necessary any more. But as I was never able to reproduce the disappearing thumbnails issue in the first place, I can't say for sure that the update fixes it.

Hopefully people who had this issue regularly will notice thumbnails do not disappear any more after sync and will report it here.

I assume the issue still affects Kindles that cannot get 5.16.6. I have only one of these and have not gotten around to seeing if I can get it to reproduce. At least then I would be able to gather more data about what was happening in the first place.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:09 AM   #10
arturg
Zealot

After the update to latest version, I can concur that books weren't deleted after I turned off the airplane mode and refreshed.

Also received the EPUB book I sent via SendToKindle and it also contains covers now :O

I'm still hesitant and am stressing about books being deleted at some point so I rather continue side loading with Calibre and having airplane mode off.

Only when on vacation or otherwise not able to access my laptop to sideload I will use the SendToKindle, unless more people can confirm no books are deleted any more.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
After the update to latest version, I can concur that books weren't deleted after I turned off the airplane mode and refreshed.

Also received the EPUB book I sent via SendToKindle and it also contains covers now :O

I'm still hesitant and am stressing about books being deleted at some point so I rather continue side loading with Calibre and having airplane mode off.

Only when on vacation or otherwise not able to access my laptop to sideload I will use the SendToKindle, unless more people can confirm no books are deleted any more.
I do not understand your concern about 'deleted books'. As I understand it this only applied to side-loaded books.

Send to Kindle effectively adds them to your Kindle library so you can download them to any of your registered devices or apps, I have never heard of those getting removed from your Library without your explicit choice to do so.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:40 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I do not understand your concern about 'deleted books'. As I understand it this only applied to side-loaded books.
So after sideloading a batch of books, making sure the covers are visible and adding them to collections, having Amazon remove them with any warning is okay with you?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 04:51 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
and adding them to collections
From the little I've seen, this seems to be the issue. I would recommend using SendToKindle to store books in your amazon account if you want to use collections.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:31 PM   #14
artekxp
artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
How is SendToKindle epub conversions compared to Calibre’s?
artekxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:05 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
How is SendToKindle epub conversions compared to Calibre’s?
Not that much difference when reading but S2K is a lot fussier about errors. calibre will gloss over many of them while S2K will not convert them. What several of my acquaintances are now doing is to open the ePub in either Sigil or calibre's e-book editor and running epubcheck (an plugin that is available for either of those two programs) and correcting any errors.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote