Notices

Old 01-20-2024, 06:05 PM   #61
Freedomland
Enthusiast
Freedomland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
In Accessibility, there is a Layout Size setting. Setting it to Large should restore the previous size, or at least make it larger. It seems to apply to all of the 'system' text.
No it isn't! I know it's on the Scribe, and that in prototyping at Amazon it might show up..since I was the instigator of this (I had been dealing with the old group in Eastern Washington state.) My former neighbor had Macular Degeneration. I have glaucoma..so I would love the system fonts to get larger. But, why reduce the size so much?? Just so you could not have to scroll up?? It doesn't make sense.
Freedomland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:14 PM   #62
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
It seems Layout size is a Scribe-only feature, and it is in Accessibility now. It affects all system text in Home/Library/Notebooks/More, but not anything in the reading UI.

But none of my Kindles (running 5.16.6) show Display Settings under Device options. Was that where it was with previous version?
It wasn't ANYWHERE on the older Kindle E-Readers. As I said.. Ever since they changed the UI..I've been talking to Amazon about System Fonts and the LIST option in Collections..(which they finally did in 5.16.5.) I've also complained about the changes on their Manage Digital Content. Try searching for a Collection while trying to add a book or Doc to it. If you have 2-5 ok..but I use Collections extensively ...by Author, or Series, or whatever. I only have 275 Collections. Oh..and back then you could SEND a Collection to the device. Not now.
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 10:46 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Btw, how do you take Screenshots? It should come handy with PDF's. I loved that feature on Pocketbook, though there it also allowed you to select area to screenshot.
Tap in opposite corners simultaneously, either upper left + lower right, or upper right + lower left.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:53 PM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomland View Post
It wasn't ANYWHERE on the older Kindle E-Readers. As I said.. Ever since they changed the UI..I've been talking to Amazon about System Fonts and the LIST option in Collections..(which they finally did in 5.16.5.) I've also complained about the changes on their Manage Digital Content. Try searching for a Collection while trying to add a book or Doc to it. If you have 2-5 ok..but I use Collections extensively ...by Author, or Series, or whatever. I only have 275 Collections. Oh..and back then you could SEND a Collection to the device. Not now.
'Send a Collection'. Do you mean 'Download a collection'?

This is now called making a Collection a Favorite. Favorites work with the Show favorites Collections option ('Only collections you've marked as favorites will be shown in grid and list views').' The term Download was kind of meaningless since it is just an abstraction, just a table in a database. Collections exist whether or not they display.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:01 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
In Scribe it's still in both menus. I just updated manually to 5.16.6 from 5.16.5, and double checked. In both versions the setting is in both menues. Under accessibility and under device options—display settings.
Layout size is in Accessibility and Screen and brightness. There is no (longer?) category called Display settings, and it's not buried in Device options.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-20-2024 at 11:36 PM.
Advert
Old 01-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #66
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
'Send a Collection'. Do you mean 'Download a collection'?

This is now called making a Collection a Favorite. Favorites work with the Show favorites Collections option ('Only collections you've marked as favorites will be shown in grid and list views').' The term Download was kind of meaningless since it is just an abstraction, just a table in a database. Collections exist whether or not they display.
Before the big revamp about 2-3 years ago on the Amazon website.. they used to have Send Collection To Device just like they can send a book or a doc. That went away..as did searching for a collection when you want to add it (I'm talking about the Manage Your Content page) Back then Amazon was pushing Cloud Collections. Now it's a friggin pain!!
Old 01-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #67
Freedomland
Enthusiast

Quote:
Layout size is in Accessibility and Screen and brightness. There is no (longer?) category called Display settings, and it's not buried in Device options.
Only on the Scribe
Old 01-23-2024, 05:25 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only on the Scribe
Correct, as I said in earlier post.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:36 PM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Before the big revamp about 2-3 years ago on the Amazon website.. they used to have Send Collection To Device just like they can send a book or a doc. That went away..as did searching for a collection when you want to add it (I'm talking about the Manage Your Content page) Back then Amazon was pushing Cloud Collections. Now it's a friggin pain!!
I don't remember what it was like that far back, but in any case am sure I never used that feature, as I don't rely on Collections for very much.

Collections (on both Kindle and Kindle apps) have a Download all items option (I don't know when it showed up on Kindle but it is there now). So having this feature for the web library management is somewhat redundant, unless you don't have physical access to the Kindle in question.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-23-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:47 PM   #70
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Some people have gotten email from Amazon about a forthcoming update (5.16.6):

(French)
A French Kindle user on Reddit has reported being notified of an upcoming Kindle firmware version (5.)16.7. Based on what happened last time I would expect the new version to be available within a week.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:30 AM   #71
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A French Kindle user on Reddit has reported being notified of an upcoming Kindle firmware version (5.)16.7. Based on what happened last time I would expect the new version to be available within a week.
It's live now
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:32 AM   #72
Freedomland
Enthusiast

5.16.7 is now available on the Kindle Update page. BUT, it didn't show up oin my PW11th Gen. When I dragged and dropped..as I had done previously, nothing. The PW still showed up to date with 5.16.6 .
But, when I used Copy and Paste, it finally read it and did the update!
Old 02-23-2024, 01:45 PM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
5.16.7 is now available on the Kindle Update page. BUT, it didn't show up oin my PW11th Gen. When I dragged and dropped..as I had done previously, nothing. The PW still showed up to date with 5.16.6 .
But, when I used Copy and Paste, it finally read it and did the update!
I have taken to doing a Restart before copying the update file over. I have had the update ignored otherwise.